3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

God I miss having a 3rd gen!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

God I miss having a 3rd gen!

Havent posted in the 3rd gen section in quite a long time, I miss this section btw! lol

So my 93 is still in the family- its my moms car now, even with ALL the suspension mods done to it (lol) but it has undergone a lot of wear and tear including an accident I had on the highway back in 2010 doing 50mph and hitting a wall but its a damn tank!

So 4+ years of driving my former 4th gen (95) and now 1+ year of owning my current 5.5 gen (02) and I still miss the crap out of my 3rd gen. I decided to take a quick browse on Craigslist to see what I could find and I came across one that has got me DROOLING! shame its not a 5spd but nothing a little work cant change. God I wish I had this type of money to spare to jump on this one! Thought I'd share with you guys since I havent seen a 3rd gen THIS clean in quite a long time. Props to the owner whose maintained it so well! I wonder if its anyone from the org???

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/cto/4136033429.html

Old 10-18-2013, 01:34 AM
No turbo, no care!

That car looks great, and really makes me miss my white turbo 3rd Gen! If it was a VG I might consider picking it up, but that price is way too high IMO. I don't think I could get that much for my current turbo 3rd gen!
Its so hard to find 3rd gens in this area, especially ones that aren't heavily rusted. I got my last white VG from California and garage kept it for 9 years before some jerk rear-ended me on I88. Traxtar944 completely restored his white VG but I havent heard from him in a few years.
See if you can work on the price with that guy and keep 3rd gens alive!
Old 10-18-2013, 01:49 AM

Most well rounded car ever, of course you miss it.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:00 PM

Wow ColumbianMax, I haven't seen your posts in a while. There's plenty here in Cali... unfortunately also in its junkyards.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
Wow ColumbianMax, I haven't seen your posts in a while. There's plenty here in Cali... unfortunately also in its junkyards.
Yup. I still come around once in a while but usually to 4th or 5th gen section... Its sometimes hard to balance your career, personal errands and chores, helping my mother out since I'm all she has here in the States, then making time for a G/F, AAAAAAND aside from all that I still have my side business/gig of IT Consulting and if I'm really broke, then doing lil basic mechanic jobs in the garage lol..

As you can see, sometimes my day doesnt have enough hours and they can get tough to manage!

Once I'm done paying off my $52,000 school loan, I do intend to go searching around the country for the cleanest most loaded 94 5spd Maxima

The 4th and 5th gen seats are NOWHERE as comfortable as the 3rd gens!
Old 10-18-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Darkwing48
This year, I've been noticing that the number of 3rd gens in junkyards are going down while the 4th gens are now making an appearance. Shows how old these cars are getting.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:46 AM

Dam hes asking for a lot. I miss my 3rd gen too, as i owed a 5th gen for a year and felt underpowered and slower than the 3rd gen. Currently an i35 for about a year now and a big step ahead of the 5th gen but I still miss this certain feeling that the 3rd gen had.
Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Yup. I still come around once in a while but usually to 4th or 5th gen section... Its sometimes hard to balance your career, personal errands and chores, helping my mother out since I'm all she has here in the States, then making time for a G/F, AAAAAAND aside from all that I still have my side business/gig of IT Consulting and if I'm really broke, then doing lil basic mechanic jobs in the garage lol..

As you can see, sometimes my day doesnt have enough hours and they can get tough to manage!

Once I'm done paying off my $52,000 school loan, I do intend to go searching around the country for the cleanest most loaded 94 5spd Maxima

damn, where have you been hiding? just sort of finished repainting my 3rd gen. still working on it as we speak. glad i haven't thought of picking up another max other than a 3rd gen. i've been in the 4th, 5th and 6th gens and i love my 3rd gen seats better. 3rd gens here in Miami are extremely rare to find now. im glad i have kept mine all these years.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:48 PM

I never used to post here much, but I lurked very frequently. I had to comment because I have been feeling the exact same way! My 3rd gen was destroyed in an accident in 2008, but before that it was a perfect condition pearl 1989. I have had a 2000 5th gen and a B5 S4 Audi since my Maxima, and while the Audi has definitely come close to replacing it, I have to say nothing has truly replaced the 3rd gen for me.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM

I drove my 3rd gen for 5 years and haven't had one in about 3 years. That being said I still want another 3rd gen.

I never had the money to modify mine the way I wanted to back then. I search autotrader etc every once in a while for a clean one but man they are hard to come by these days.

I found this one but I think they are asking too much, plus its on the other side of the country.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 AM

That car's local to me. It's on Craigslist with no price in the title, only "You can afford this one". Didin't even bother to call because I knew the price would be stupid. **** dealers, especially Honda dealers selling Maximas. I'm going to call them tomorrow and waste as much of their time as I can.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:53 AM

figured I'd post this, I'm a 4th genner but what the heck..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-Maxima-4dr-Sedan-GX-New-Trade-super-low-miles-49000miles-49000miles-leather-sunroof-ready-to-/261305759527?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3cd7097727&item=261305759527&pt=US_Cars_Trucks
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

nice ones are out there...but they are starting to command a little more money for one that's well preserved.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by jbbons25
This year, I've been noticing that the number of 3rd gens in junkyards are going down while the 4th gens are now making an appearance. Shows how old these cars are getting.

Definately am spotting the 4th Gens in the Junkyards. It pleases the 4th "Genners" to pick up some spares. In the bigger Wilmington yards I see at least 5 3rd Gens. One with a rare West Wings (I think) Kit on it, but it was ruined. I'm seeing less of SE's and VE's. I'm thinking the VG transmission is the reason why most undamaged ones are there.

Originally Posted by ColombianMax

I understand. Congrats for paying off your loan. I did mine earlier this year but mine was 55% the amount of yours. I'll keep an eye out for your potential 94 5spd.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM
No turbo, no care!

I looked up KBB value, although for some reason I couldn't look up anything older than a 93. Using a 93 GXE with all the options listed on that site (excluding dual airbags because despite their claim it clearly doesn't have them, and Im pretty sure it wasn't even an option in 91) and 100K miles, it says $2300 from a dealer or $1800 from a private party. If that car was close I would happily pay $2300 despite the auto trans!

According to KBB this one is actually under priced, $2700 from a dealer ($2200 private party). Given the fact that it's white with digital climate control and only 50K miles (although I suspect an intermittently functioning odometer) I personally would be glad to pay their price of $2450, again despite the automatic.

I hope org members pick these up, take good care of them and keep the 3rd gen community alive. Yes the 91 is way over priced at $5900 but I'm sure someone can talk them down much closer to the KBB value.

Originally Posted by Hectic
That car's local to me. It's on Craigslist with no price in the title, only "You can afford this one". Didin't even bother to call because I knew the price would be stupid. **** dealers, especially Honda dealers selling Maximas. I'm going to call them tomorrow and waste as much of their time as I can.
Ask them why they think more than double the KBB value is a good asking price
Old 10-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Way out West

The prices are kind of crazy, like all over the board. I have tried to sell my car several times for less than either of those. It might not be quite as nice, but it's in good shape and has a lot of extras.

I have actually seen a couple of VE 5-speeds under $2k, but they are a mess. Dents, bad paint, chewed up wheels, nasty interior. I guess if you just want to bomb one around, they have solid drivetrains and those types of cars are available. It's pretty rare to find a really nice 3rd gen, though.

If someone has time for a VG to VE swap, here is your guy...
http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/4138756796.html
Old 10-21-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
The prices are kind of crazy, like all over the board. I have tried to sell my car several times for less than either of those. It might not be quite as nice, but it's in good shape and has a lot of extras.

I have actually seen a couple of VE 5-speeds under $2k, but they are a mess. Dents, bad paint, chewed up wheels, nasty interior. I guess if you just want to bomb one around, they have solid drivetrains and those types of cars are available. It's pretty rare to find a really nice 3rd gen, though.

Damn I'd so jump on that! but even if I had the cash, I'd barely have the time! I left for work at 7am this morning and I just got home had two clients after work and well.... cant really say no to money lol
Old 10-22-2013, 06:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin

I have tried to sell my car several times for less than either of those

Cliff, I thought you werent selling your ride anymore, if you are, please let me know. I will purchase at your original asking price. See your PM

Thanks
Old 10-22-2013, 09:36 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

That 49K mile VG doesn't seem nice at all to me?
Old 12-06-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
damn, where have you been hiding? just sort of finished repainting my 3rd gen. still working on it as we speak. glad i haven't thought of picking up another max other than a 3rd gen. i've been in the 4th, 5th and 6th gens and i love my 3rd gen seats better. 3rd gens here in Miami are extremely rare to find now. im glad i have kept mine all these years.
Still got mine! Just haven't driven it since I got my Lexus IS250 2 years ago. It needs a water pump, timing belt and thermostat. I ordered all those parts today so I'll get her back on the road for 2014!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by pest2001
Still got mine! Just haven't driven it since I got my Lexus IS250 2 years ago. It needs a water pump, timing belt and thermostat. I ordered all those parts today so I'll get her back on the road for 2014!
Speak of the devil! I was next to you off of the turnpike SB over a year ago before I started taking my car apart for body and paint. Let me know if you need help with the timing. Hope you ordered cam seals and front main seal as well.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Speak of the devil! I was next to you off of the turnpike SB over a year ago before I started taking my car apart for body and paint. Let me know if you need help with the timing. Hope you ordered cam seals and front main seal as well.
Naw I didn't order the cam or crank seals I'll order them next check. I really just wanna get the car running again. It hasn't ran since January 2011
Old 12-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Wish i knew how to post a pix on my phone purchased a clean 89 vg leather int clean no dents digi dash aux input cd with 128k for 1800 he wanted 23 but i showed the chips sunroof even the code door panel entry worked
Old 12-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Man, I wish there were more pictures from different angles in that supposed 50k mile GXE ebay listing.