3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gas Smell or Leak after Injector Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gas Smell or Leak after Injector Install

Just replaced Injector #3 on my 93 Maxima - SOHC 3.0 -
Part = GP Sorensen #800-1289N -
I took everything apart and snapped old injector out. Snapped new injector in - The new injector looks different than the old one. has a metal ring thing around the end. I didn't remove the clip ring thing from the end of it. It seemed like it wasn't meant to come off. In any case I start the car and it runs rough and there is a strong odor of gas. I did not remove the fuel rail or touch any of the fuel lines.. It got too dark out and so I'm not seeing any leaks.

Any ideas what might be causing the rough running and the gas smell?

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks,
Trav...
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM

Sounds like you've got yourself an injector leak. Confirm by looking for an actual leak or smelling around the top end of the motor. Alternatively, it could be running really rich. If the car is running rich however, you'll note the smell at the exhaust.

As far as metal ring thing/clip ring thing, not sure what you are referring to specifically. Generally speaking, if you start smelling fuel after an injector job, odds are very high that you didn't seat it all the way/o-rings are suspect.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Levsimus
Sounds like you've got yourself an injector leak. Confirm by looking for an actual leak or smelling around the top end of the motor. Alternatively, it could be running really rich. If the car is running rich however, you'll note the smell at the exhaust.

As far as metal ring thing/clip ring thing, not sure what you are referring to specifically. Generally speaking, if you start smelling fuel after an injector job, odds are very high that you didn't seat it all the way/o-rings are suspect.

When I installed the new injector - I heard/felt the o-rings click into place when I installed the new injector. I looked all around the injector and saw no leaks around the part of the injector that is visible.

I did some research and it looks like there is a "pintle cap" that holds the lower O-Ring on.. Which is true. So I assume it's the correct application.
http://witchhunter.com/images/injectorcutaway.jpg

Does the fuel pump run when the ignition is ON? I should be able to see any leaks without running the vehicle?

Thanks again.
Trav..
Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM

You shouldn't be able to hear the o-rings "snap" into place, if you do it probably means they aren't sealing correctly. It's supposed to be a very tight fit, and seating them should require screwing the hold down caps down slowly, alternating between screws until they are completely down. Unfortunately it's common for aftermarket injectors to leak. Not saying they are, but it wouldn't be the first time.

If it runs smooth and you don't have any misfires or starting/idle issues, then you're probably ok. I'd give it a couple days to see if the smell goes away.

And yes, when you turn the ign to "ON" the fuel pump will pressurize the system. If you had an external leak, you would see it. It's a good idea to do this before putting everything back together. Of course the problem is usually the lower o-rings on the oval style injectors, which can really only be tested by running the engine.

Last edited by Hectic; 12-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Hectic
You shouldn't be able to hear the o-rings "snap" into place, if you do it probably means they aren't sealing correctly. It's supposed to be a very tight fit, and seating them should require screwing the hold down caps down slowly, alternating between screws until they are completely down. Unfortunately it's common for aftermarket injectors to leak. Not saying they are, but it wouldn't be the first time.

If it runs smooth and you don't have any misfires or starting/idle issues, then you're probably ok. I'd give it a couple days to see if the smell goes away.

And yes, when you turn the ign to "ON" the fuel pump will pressurize the system. If you had an external leak, you would see it. It's a good idea to do this before putting everything back together. Of course the problem is usually the lower o-rings on the oval style injectors, which can really only be tested by running the engine.

Hello -
The car does run rough and dies out after starting. There's been a back fire as well. I will be able to at least see if there's a pressure leak in the system.

I plan to tear it back down tomorrow morning. Fine way to spend a Christmas Eve. LOL.. Better than trying to play with all the last minute shoppers..

Merry Eve New Holidays Christmas Happy Years
Old 12-25-2013, 08:45 PM

There's a good chance you didn't seat the injector properly. I've used the GP Sorenson injectors and they work fine.
You need to disassemble again and reseat the injector. Do not rely on just screwing down the retainer cap to push the injector into place. I've tried that and it's not a reliable method. You need to push it in carefully and make sure it goes straight down into the seat. If the O ring gets twisted or doesn't seat properly, it will leak. Push it in with your fingers so it's ALL THE WAY in the seat and then twist it back and forth. I use Vaseline to make sure the O ring doesn't bind up. That's about it.