3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

keys locked in car...keypad ect...

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 10:13 PM

keys locked in car...keypad ect...

Kind of in a rush looked over a few threads but nothing I really needed...

I locked my keys in the car and had to pay a locksmith and paid $80 for him to get it out and he almost couldn't do it...(I made 3 extra keys today) but here are the questions...

+ How do I find the code for my doors keypad?... Yes there is a thread on that but I cant find it...

++ Why did the doors not do that automatic unlock thing it does when the keys are in the ignition???

+++ Whats the cause of that not working anymore???

++++ My automatic door lock have also stopped working how do I fix that?...

trying to avoid the cost again and help others out while helping myself at the same time... thanks guys.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:26 AM

+ Might be in the glovebox
++ You have to NOT pull up on the driver's handle when you close the door. And it is dependent on a fully functional auto door lock system, which is a rarity. Handle switch might be faulty or other issue.
+++ See ++
++++ Replace master window switch.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 AM

How I unlock my car:..
- on the driver door, turn the key one time will unlock the driver door,
- turn the key a second time unlock all doors.
Try that.

If you're talking about the remote, ... I didn't know this car could have a remote but mine is 94 SE.

Last edited by MrBraco; 01-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:32 PM

Try this here http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...=keyless+entry follow these detailed instructions.

The power locks must be operational for the keyless entry system to work. If your power locks don't work you will need to fix them first.

Last edited by Grumpy560; 01-02-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
+ Might be in the glovebox
++ You have to NOT pull up on the driver's handle when you close the door. And it is dependent on a fully functional auto door lock system, which is a rarity. Handle switch might be faulty or other issue.
+++ See ++
++++ Replace master window switch.
Originally Posted by MrBraco
How I unlock my car:..
- on the driver door, turn the key one time will unlock the driver door,
- turn the key a second time unlock all doors.
Try that.

If you're talking about the remote, ... I didn't know this car could have a remote but mine is 94 SE.
Originally Posted by Grumpy560
Try this here http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...=keyless+entry follow these detailed instructions.

The power locks must be operational for the keyless entry system to work. If your power locks don't work you will need to fix them first.

Its a 1992 GXE guys...
+ The buttons on the door do light up and I get beeps when I put in the code from the little box behind the glove box... so it does work in a way...

++ I will replace the switch ASAP... It can only down all the windows but when I go to up them I have the reach over to each window to up them... but the whole time it was doing this the power locks worked off and on. Now when I press the power lock button I hear a click but nothing happens...

+++ That double turn with the key use to work that has also stopped working too... I didn't know they had a remote either if they do where did you get yours lol...smh

++++ I want to fix the power locks but whats the first step I should take in doing this buddy?

The plus(+) signs are there so I know what you guys are responding to thanks a lot peeps...
Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 PM

For the power door locks not working or working intermitently is usually the power door lock timer which is a grey or black module (box) approx. 3"x3" located under the dash above your pedals when you push your power door lock button you should be able to hear it clicking as your pushing it so following that noise will help you locate it. Take the board out of the module and if your soldering skills aren't bad you re solder the bad points on the board replace it and voila your door locks should be good. As for reseting the keypad the code is up under the passenger side dash usually. If you lay on the passenger side floor and look up you may find it there. Following putting that reset code in your key pad you will hear a long steady beeeep at which time you put in your chosen code of i believe its 4 to 6 digits but best to take it to the dealership to reset it and some are nice enough to do this free. As for the keys being in the ignition and doors still locking may be a result of your power door locks not working properly.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-03-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 12:43 PM

I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just like AC MAX 92 said... It was that little gray box that you can hear the clicking coming from...
Remove this box
Name:  insidedash.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  230.2 KB
Solder these two point because the had a hairline crack around them... and what do you know its all fixed and working
Name:  insidebox.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  235.0 KB

My keypad also works now!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2014, 04:56 PM

those points on the door lock timer go bad quite often on 3rd gens, happened on mine but i was too lazy to fix it lol
Old 01-12-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
I fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just like AC MAX 92 said... It was that little gray box that you can hear the clicking coming from...
Remove this box

Solder these two point because the had a hairline crack around them... and what do you know its all fixed and working

My keypad also works now!!!!!!
Glad i could help. Good to see your locks are working now . Now you just need to get a code programed for your keypad. Comes in handy for the times you may lock your keys in the car or the trunk for that matter lol. Thats a pretty clean 3rd gen you have there by the looks of it. 3rd gens in good shape where chrome and i are here in the great white north are few and far between. It's taken over 5 years to get mine to where it is now and i also park it for the winter. i still need to put some more pics. up but check it out sometime if you like.

Last edited by ac max 92; 01-12-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Glad i could help. Good to see your locks are working now . Now you just need to get a code programed for your keypad. Comes in handy for the times you may lock your keys in the car or the trunk for that matter lol. Thats a pretty clean 3rd gen you have there by the looks of it. 3rd gens in good shape where chrome and i are here in the great white north are few and far between. It's taken over 5 years to get mine to where it is now and i also park it for the winter. i still need to put some more pics. up but check it out sometime if you like.
Thanks man I clean this thing every other day...
I already got the keypads coded so everything is working I also changed the code by using a write up on here... you guys are awesome!!!

Do you have pictures of yours on here now?
Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Infam0usMax
Thanks man I clean this thing every other day...
I already got the keypads coded so everything is working I also changed the code by using a write up on here... you guys are awesome!!!

Do you have pictures of yours on here now?
I have just a couple. If you go to my garage or just click on the 92 maxima under my profile name. I have yet to post a few more pics. I have a couple more minor upgrades to do this spring unless I decide to turbo it.