3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 03:34 PM

Could this be?

Check these out : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Nissan-Maxima-Adjustable-Lowering-Coilover-Kit-Guaranteed-Fitment-/141190901980

Says the company is located a few hours from me so I called them up. The guy told me they WILL fit the j30 chassis maxima and they've tested and tuned them in 3rd gen on an indy track. They make them for all generation maximas but each generation is specific.

After talking to the guy for about an hour he really seemed to know what he's talking about.

Apparently they can give you 1-4" drop and other things that can be found in the description.

He sent me a picture of a j30 chassis they put these on years ago. They aren't maxed out in the picture though. (I'll upload it soon)

I do know these are coilover sleeves but I think they'd work. Only one way to find out.....
Old 02-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Good luck! I know there ain't much for you third genners out there...
Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 PM

Careful. I hope it's not for a "A"-chassis. But if you're willing to spend it....
As Arnold Schwarzenegger said in Predator "C'mon! Do it!"
Old 02-13-2014, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by CarlW
Check these out : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Ni...-/141190901980

Says the company is located a few hours from me so I called them up. The guy told me they WILL fit the j30 chassis maxima and they've tested and tuned them in 3rd gen on an indy track. They make them for all generation maximas but each generation is specific.

After talking to the guy for about an hour he really seemed to know what he's talking about.

Apparently they can give you 1-4" drop and other things that can be found in the description.

He sent me a picture of a j30 chassis they put these on years ago. They aren't maxed out in the picture though. (I'll upload it soon)

I do know these are coilover sleeves but I think they'd work. Only one way to find out.....
I think I'll go ahead and try those with u buddy. This may be a new catchy trend....sorta like the first person to do the BMW E36 headlight conversion, or the VTC fix. I think anything is possible with the right fabricator and supplies.
Old 02-14-2014, 04:18 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Haha, wow those are just universal "coilover" sleeves that you can buy anywhere, and for a heckuva lot less money that that. Those sell for $50 bucks all day on eBay and you can probably even buy them at PepBoys and Autozone and the like now.

These are nowhere close to being true coilovers and absolutely nothing to get excited about. If these generic sleeves are all you've been wanting you could have had these loooooooooong ago.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
Haha, wow those are just universal "coilover" sleeves that you can buy anywhere, and for a heckuva lot less money that that. Those sell for $50 bucks all day on eBay and you can probably even buy them at PepBoys and Autozone and the like now.

These are nowhere close to being true coilovers and absolutely nothing to get excited about. If these generic sleeves are all you've been wanting you could have had these loooooooooong ago.
Aw man really? The guy told me they tested them on all different cars and they're specific. A j30 chassis maxima to be one of them. I may drive down there though
Old 02-14-2014, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by badazzsupamax
I think I'll go ahead and try those with u buddy. This may be a new catchy trend....sorta like the first person to do the BMW E36 headlight conversion, or the VTC fix. I think anything is possible with the right fabricator and supplies.
Yeah It'd be sweet if these were the real deal, for the j30 and all. Since he's a 3 hour drive away I think I'll pick them up rather than shipped
Old 02-14-2014, 12:59 PM

theres no such thing as coilovers for 3rd gens, the suspension travel is too short for them. the best thing you can do is lowering springs with good struts

there were a couple guys that made custom coilovers for their VE but the labour wasnt worth the product, 3rd gens just cant utilize coilovers
Old 02-14-2014, 01:17 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Aw man really? The guy told me they tested them on all different cars and they're specific. A j30 chassis maxima to be one of them. I may drive down there though
and you believe every word a total stranger that's looking to take your money tell you????

did he explain the actual spring rate?
what about camber issues?
Old 02-14-2014, 02:07 PM

The fact that he claimed to have "tested and tuned them on an Indy track" sounds like one massive load of BS to me.

I'm not saying they won't work (assuming you really want to go with universal sleeves), I'm just saying there's absolutely nothing model specific about those. You're overpaying more than three fold if you buy those from him.

If you're going down there, have him point out the 3rd gen specific aspects of his generic universal sleeves
Old 02-14-2014, 07:27 PM

So with that being said, what do you think are the best lowering springs for a 3rd gen? I need them to be reliable, reasonably priced, and with at least a 2in drop
Old 02-14-2014, 09:29 PM

He told me the spring rate was 350f and 325r is that good or bad?
Old 02-14-2014, 09:57 PM

So with that being said, what do you think are the best lowering springs for a 3rd gen? I need them to be reliable, reasonably priced, and with at least a 2in drop
2 inches is a low drop. i had 2.2 and 2.0 inch K-sport GT and i was scraping on speedbumps and everywhere else. the best lowering springs in terms of reliability are Eibachs
Old 02-14-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by chrome91
2 inches is a low drop. i had 2.2 and 2.0 inch K-sport GT and i was scraping on speedbumps and everywhere else. the best lowering springs in terms of reliability are Eibachs
Ok! Time to lower it again and stance it
Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 PM

You can't buy that at autozone or pepboys you can get the loweing springs at orileys
Old 02-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by 1990se5speed
You can't buy that at autozone or pepboys you can get the loweing springs at orileys
wow thanks for that correction...didnt want ppl to go to pepgirls to look for coilover set up for their 3rd gen.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

He told me the spring rate was 350f and 325r is that good or bad?
oh so its the same spring rate for all maximas from 3rd gen to 7th gen...that makes sense because every gen the maxima's weight did not change at all.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:23 AM

My Suspension Techniques are a 1.5" drop and it's low enough but driveable and surviveable in the real world for sure!

Name:  1262510130.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  1262509936.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  95.8 KB

Name:  thosepics023.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  thosepics026.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  71.4 KB
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Well if these really are just universal I think I'll get some of these coilover sleeves. If they can really give me a 3-4 inch drop that'd be awesome.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Travel Length of the front shock is 5.875"

if you dropped it 4 inches your travel length is under 2 inches (you'll have to remove the bump stop to get under 2 inches).

but at the end of the day...your car...your money.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Maybe a 2.5" drop would do. I'm sure it'd look nice.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
My Suspension Techniques are a 1.5" drop and it's low enough but driveable and surviveable in the real world for sure!

Wow looks really good
Old 02-16-2014, 02:03 PM

Maybe a 2.5" drop would do. I'm sure it'd look nice.
just sayin, i did 2.2 inches and it was undriveable in winter. scraped everywhere on the snow and was so bumpy on ice that i ended up walking to work and barely driving it in winter. summer was liveable but i had to crawl over speedbumps and steep inclines. thats why none of my junk is that low anymore

4 inches would be completely undriveable imo
Old 02-18-2014, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by chrome91
just sayin, i did 2.2 inches and it was undriveable in winter. scraped everywhere on the snow and was so bumpy on ice that i ended up walking to work and barely driving it in winter. summer was liveable but i had to crawl over speedbumps and steep inclines. thats why none of my junk is that low anymore

4 inches would be completely undriveable imo
We're those springs progressive?
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM

cant remember, i installed them like 5-6 years ago. dont even think Ksport GT are available anymore
Old 02-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Well here's the picture of the maxima with these on. He told me they aren't maxed out Name:  Screenshot_2014-02-10-02-53-06.png
Views: 121
Size:  248.8 KB

An updated picture of the coilover sleeves. What do you guys think?Name:  Screenshot_2014-02-19-23-23-44.png
Views: 100
Size:  439.5 KB

Last edited by CarlW; 02-19-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:48 PM

So you ordered them? I LIKES! I think I understand where your coming from because I ordered the KSport springs and it was supposed to be a 2' drop. As you can see, it barely looks dropped at all. Although handling is quite excellent. Maybe it doesn't look as low because I only lowered the front....I don't like an even drop, I like it to sit like a racecar with the back slightly higher for a more "staggered" look. You gotta get those on and take some pics...Im right behind u!

http://forums.maxima.org/picture.php...ictureid=39144

http://forums.maxima.org/picture.php...ictureid=39141
Old 02-19-2014, 11:54 PM

My gold GXE here had no lowering springs at all, but just those cheap advance auto spring clamps, the same ones used for the lifters, which I again put on the rear to give it a more uneven stance. Amazingly, it almost lowers the car as good as my blaxima with Ksport springs.

http://forums.maxima.org/picture.php...ictureid=39135

Old 02-20-2014, 04:10 AM

Well here's the picture of the maxima with these on. He told me they aren't maxed out

An updated picture of the coilover sleeves. What do you guys think?
That picture of the 3rd gen doesn't prove or show anything. Ask him for pictures of the suspension of that car which shows the "coilovers" installed.

Either way, those sleeves in your picture are again absolutely just universal sleeves. The fact that they're blue makes me think they're the older APC type. I have a box of universal APC sleeves that look identical. They've been sitting around now in my garage for maybe 8-9 years.

I assure you that you can buy the $40-50 ones on eBay and they will be identical to what this guy is trying to sell you for triple the price.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:22 AM

So you ordered them? I LIKES! I think I understand where your coming from because I ordered the KSport springs and it was supposed to be a 2' drop. As you can see, it barely looks dropped at all. Although handling is quite excellent. Maybe it doesn't look as low because I only lowered the front....I don't like an even drop, I like it to sit like a racecar with the back slightly higher for a more "staggered" look. You gotta get those on and take some pics...Im right behind u!

I didn't buy these yet. I'm still skeptical om how they'll ride. I've looked up a lot the past few days on these universal coilover sleeves. Some say with good struts they're tolerable. A lot say they can fail easily and send me to my grave. The good news it that yes (it seems) it will get the drop done.

Not sure what I'll do yet, other than take James advice and buy a cheaper one.

How did those spring clamps work? I was thinking about clamping my intrax before I put them on the car. I, as well, am trying to stance my maxima.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 AM

That picture of the 3rd gen doesn't prove or show anything. Ask him for pictures of the suspension of that car which shows the "coilovers" installed.

Either way, those sleeves in your picture are again absolutely just universal sleeves. The fact that they're blue makes me think they're the older APC type. I have a box of universal APC sleeves that look identical. They've been sitting around now in my garage for maybe 8-9 years.

I assure you that you can buy the $40-50 ones on eBay and they will be identical to what this guy is trying to sell you for triple the price.
I'll look at some cheaper ones. I hear a lot of people talking about ground control sleeves on the honda forum. If they're universal couldn't I use those? On ebay there are some for 4th generation maximas but I thought they were universal.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

you're referring to a raked look where the front is lower than the rear.

usually staggered is referring to the front/rear tires.

from the first link the front looks dropped...the rear looks stock..so if that's the look you're going after then u got it.

new springs usually take a time to settle before they reach their dropped height.

Last edited by DanNY; 02-20-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
you're referring to a raked look where the front is lower than the rear.

usually staggered is referring to the front/rear tires.

from the first link the front looks dropped...the rear looks stock..so if that's the look you're going after then u got it.

new springs usually take a time to settle before they reach their dropped height.

Yea, they looked dropped in that pic, but in others they look stock, even in my signature. I need them to look dropped all the time tho, and to be just an inch lower to make it more flush
Old 02-20-2014, 09:13 PM

I didn't buy these yet. I'm still skeptical om how they'll ride. I've looked up a lot the past few days on these universal coilover sleeves. Some say with good struts they're tolerable. A lot say they can fail easily and send me to my grave. The good news it that yes (it seems) it will get the drop done.

Not sure what I'll do yet, other than take James advice and buy a cheaper one.

How did those spring clamps work? I was thinking about clamping my intrax before I put them on the car. I, as well, am trying to stance my maxima.
They gave my car a wicked drop but the downside, they ****ed up my suspension....completely > Maybe because I didn't use a camber kit or get an alignment afterwards, but my car's suspension was so bad that in rain it felt like I was driving on skates, or like someone was pushing my car forward while the wheels were turned. It sucked. I gave that gold GXE away for free just because of that
Old 02-20-2014, 10:11 PM

They gave my car a wicked drop but the downside, they ****ed up my suspension....completely > Maybe because I didn't use a camber kit or get an alignment afterwards, but my car's suspension was so bad that in rain it felt like I was driving on skates, or like someone was pushing my car forward while the wheels were turned. It sucked. I gave that gold GXE away for free just because of that
Ahh really? I'm thinking I'll just get some of these universal coilover sleeves and see how bad/good they really are.

If they're really as terrible as most say I'll just cut a coil or two off of my intrax. I've been reading on how to cut springs the "right" way. Still not the best method but with no real coilovers being made for the j30 chassis and air suspension being too expensive, it could be a good alternative.

All in all I'm really hoping the sleeves are good enough.

Last edited by CarlW; 02-20-2014 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

Ahh really? I'm thinking I'll just get some of these universal coilover sleeves and see how bad/good they really are.

If they're really as terrible as most say I'll just cut a coil or two off of my intrax. I've been reading on how to cut springs the "right" way. Still not the best method but with no real coilovers being made for the j30 chassis and air suspension being too expensive, it could be a good alternative.

All in all I'm really hoping the sleeves are good enough.
Let me know how it works out since I'm trying to accomplish the same look. I'm having my VE engine built up so I have to think on a budget mentality. I may cut 1 coil as well
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm really interested in getting the Ksport gt springs with my 91 but I'm wondering it it will be too low. I'm not worried about scraping, but I'm worried about wheel rub. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Could this be?-image-1992222474.jpg  
Old 03-06-2014, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Kelton_jj
I'm really interested in getting the Ksport gt springs with my 91 but I'm wondering it it will be too low. I'm not worried about scraping, but I'm worried about wheel rub. What do you guys think?

depends what wheels youre running, on stock GXE 15s with 205/65/15s and Ksport GT my front tires were tucked a quarter inch into the fender and the rears were about flush to the fender. that was on a few year old KYB struts so i was probably a bit lower than i should have been, had no rubbing issues. just scraping

just before the car blew up i had Rays TE-37 with 235/45/17s and with a test fit it looked like it could possibly rub, never ran them because the rears needed spacers and the car blewup beforehand
Old 03-06-2014, 06:04 PM

CarlW just do it and try it just the Maxima Community......:v)