3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Master cylinder plug

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Master cylinder plug

So I've searched, with no luck. I have the dreaded brake line that popped right under the driver's door, and I want to get this thing back on the road without spending alot of time and money on it. So I am looking at plugging the leaking line right out of the master cylinder and replacing all lines at a later time. I thought I was in luck when the new lines from Courtesy were only like $40, but Nissan doesn't make them anymore, so it would require alot of custom work. I can't believe this hasn't been covered before, but does anyone know the size of the plug or where to get one so I could just put it in there?
Old 06-09-2014, 07:05 AM
STFU n00b!

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!

Ever driven a car with no rear brakes? you're asking for death. That's a safety issue, not just a "I'll fix it later" like a leaking valve cover gasket. If you just happen to do that and get in a wreck because your stopping distance is now doubled, then guess what the lawyers are going to do to you?

Repairing the line really isn't that hard. My local parts stores sell sections of straight line and fittings. just pick up some 3/16" brake line and a half dozen fittings and you can cut out the bad section and replace it for under $20. took me less than 30 min last time I flared two fittings and replaced a section of line on my car...
Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 AM

^That is probably a good idea! You don't want to have not functioning brakes. You can get yourself in a lot of trouble.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:48 AM

Doubling my braking distance by removing 1 rear brake? I just want to be able to move it around in my driveway, possibly drive it 2 miles to work, or take it to get repaired. It's not my daily driver.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Read post # 2 above!
Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM
STFU n00b!

Yes, removing ONE rear brake line will have a drastic effect on your car's ability to stop.

Let me define the consequences a bit more clearly. If you block that brake line and drive it (even just 2 miles to work) and get in a wreck, and the insurance company ON EITHER SIDE finds out, they're going to throw away the lube, wrap their junk in 24grit sandpaper, dip it in gasoline, and then wear your **** out.

That is what they call gross negligence. You KNOW there's a problem with the brakes, you intentionally did not fix the problem, and then you drove the car. Even if you get in a wreck while driving to the mechanic, you're fooked. This is where the multi-million dollar lawsuits are made. You will never be financially solvent again. I can't explain in any more concrete terms how much of a BAD idea that is.

The tools and parts to fix the line are about $50. You can probably even borrow/rent a flaring tool from the parts store. flare two fittings, install a section of new line, bleed the brakes, move on with life.

If you're not comfortable with that, then please get the car towed to the mechanic. I have a feeling your boss will consider that a smart move and offer to pick you up at the mechanic vs. asking you to drive to work on a car with a faulty brake system.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

when you plug the leaking line make sure you also cut a hole in the floor just in case you need to stop.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
when you plug the leaking line make sure you also cut a hole in the floor just in case you need to stop.
so true
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
If you block that brake line and drive it (even just 2 miles to work) and get in a wreck, and the insurance company ON EITHER SIDE finds out, they're going to throw away the lube, wrap their junk in 24grit sandpaper, dip it in gasoline, and then wear your **** out.
Ummm, OUCH.

Note to self - don't cross Matt.