3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

water pump help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 02:53 PM

water pump help

My upper radiator hose pop off because it wasn't tighten enough. I pop back on and put some more coolant. After 30 minutes of driving I notice the needle move to H. Added more coolant n bleeded the air bubbles out. But then I notice hot coolant dripping down by the water pump. My question is can running on H cause the water pump go bad that fast. Smh.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:54 PM

I suppose it could in theory if it got hot enough to warp the water pump / mating surface but thats a huge long shot, since odds are your heads would warp long before that. Its probably just coincidence. Are you sure its not just residual runoff from the hose popping off? Sometimes coolant can drip for a bit after it spills all over the engine bay.

I learned that the hard way when my upper hose blew out on my mustang. Coolant dripped for a few days afterwards.

Last edited by Levsimus; 06-12-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
My upper radiator hose pop off because it wasn't tighten enough. I pop back on and put some more coolant. After 30 minutes of driving I notice the needle move to H. Added more coolant n bleeded the air bubbles out. But then I notice hot coolant dripping down by the water pump. My question is can running on H cause the water pump go bad that fast. Smh.
If you have the gxe there is an 8mm bolt on the to right side of the intake manifold to bleed it. Hard to say if it's coincidence. I'd clean it up and keep an eye on it without running it too far or at idle till it gets hot and if you gotta do the water pump you may aswell do the timing belt too if it's been awhile.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
If you have the gxe there is an 8mm bolt on the to right side of the intake manifold to bleed it. Hard to say if it's coincidence. I'd clean it up and keep an eye on it without running it too far or at idle till it gets hot and if you gotta do the water pump you may aswell do the timing belt too if it's been awhile.
This.

Seriously. Do yourself a favor and DO THE TIMING BELT at the same time or have the shop that does the pump bust out the timing belt job as well. You're 90% of the way to the timing belt anyways in order to do the water pump, and its not good for your belt to get all that coolant splashed on it anyways when you remove the pump.

Assuming its the water pump, of course - to be sure, just keep an eye on it like ac max advised.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 AM

I'm test driving it now to see if it's ok. But I have a ve motor, there is no timing belt on ve thank god lol
Old 06-13-2014, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by Levsimus
This.

Seriously. Do yourself a favor and DO THE TIMING BELT at the same time or have the shop that does the pump bust out the timing belt job as well. You're 90% of the way to the timing belt anyways in order to do the water pump, and its not good for your belt to get all that coolant splashed on it anyways when you remove the pump.

Assuming its the water pump, of course - to be sure, just keep an eye on it like ac max advised.
That's why I said he may aswell do the belt too but he has a ve so he doesn't need too.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:50 AM

^^Right!!!!^^
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM

I test drove it and it didn't overheat. I think because it's full of coolant it doesn't heat up. But I bet when it leaks more coolant it will heat up. I did notice after ten minutes of drive that in second gear cruising speed it had a hesitation when I apply pressure to gas pedal. Probably cuz coolant isn't getting thru the water pump to motor. The coolant flow isn't enough pressure because water pump doesn't work maybe. What do you think?
Old 06-13-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by TonyJr
I test drove it and it didn't overheat. I think because it's full of coolant it doesn't heat up. But I bet when it leaks more coolant it will heat up. I did notice after ten minutes of drive that in second gear cruising speed it had a hesitation when I apply pressure to gas pedal. Probably cuz coolant isn't getting thru the water pump to motor. The coolant flow isn't enough pressure because water pump doesn't work maybe. What do you think?
If it's not overheating then im sure the thermostat is opening allowing coolant through and the fans are working im sure otherwise being if it's hot outside you'd have issues with overheating. Is there any bad bearing noise coming from the water pump? For now i'd just chalk it up to coolant making a mess when your rad hose popped off. For now id just carefully hose it off, keep it clean and just keep an eye on it along with the temp and coolant level and keep an eye on the driveway. After a good drive it's more likely to overheat sitting awhile at idle. Otherwise go ahead and change the pump if you feel it will give you piece of mind.

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-13-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:38 AM

It's the water pump. Needle move to H, and hot coolant was dripping by the pump. Changing it thanks you guys.

But I'm wondering our guessing that when car gets hot it give the motor a hesitation at throttle pressure. Must be because the coolant isn't moving through the motor right?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:24 AM

You mean coolant dripping from the water pump weep hole?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:26 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

I would be very careful to not continue to drive or even "test drive" your VE when overheating, given the aluminum heads. It's hard to say what your hesitation was/is but driving it and overheating it enough to get hesitation is not a good sign. I would shut it down for good until you change the water pump. Unfortunately the water pump on the VE is not a fun job, but at least now you'll have another skill to add to your repertoire.

The problem is there is almost no room between frame rail and water pump. I have found the easy way to create room is to drop the crossmember (leave the tranny mounts in place) support the engine on the crank side and jack that whole side up so you can freely access the water pump area. It is actually possible to snake the pump in with the engine in place but it is a pretty big PITA and you will need the perfect combination of snaking moves and small hands to do it without scraping off all your liquid gasket.

VE pumps used to be very expensive but now can be had for about $50 (at least on Rock Auto).

Good luck with it.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:55 PM

Just replace the water pump myself today. Easy job to do but the new water pump was a bit thicker then the factory pump so it was a ***** to install the new pump. The easiest part to the longest time to figure out to snake the new pump. smh.

It is driving perfect now. I feel more power lol.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:57 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Nice job man