3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Just Bought 91 Maxima - Have Questions About Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Just Bought 91 Maxima - Have Questions About Stereo

I just purchased a 91 Maxima from a friend of mine and the owner before him left the stereo (or lack of) a mess. It is (or was) a Bose system. The head unit and all the speakers are gone. The wiring harness in the car was cut and all that is left is a bunch of different colored wires (why would someone do this). I need a stereo as I have a long drive to work everyday very early in the morning so it would be nice to have to keep me awake. I gotta say this car was a good buy for $400 considering it runs great and gets half way decent mileage. But cosmetically it could be in better shape. I also had to fix 3 of the windows but that is a topic for another time.

Here is what I am planning on installing:

-6x9s from my truck with boxes. Should I use the boxes or the factory mounting locations?

-A Pioneer head unit that came with the car but wasn't installed. It appears the mounting brackets were installed though.

-6.5'' speakers for the front doors.

-A Pioneer 4 channel amp for the speakers. Not sure if I am going to use this or not or where to install it and how to run wiring.

-A 12'' sub that will be installed in the future when I find a box and a amp for it.

From spending a few hours searching this forum I found out a few things. Such as the fact that the rear speaker locations will take 6x9s and the front doors can be adapted to take 6.5'' speakers. There are however some questions I have that I couldn't find answers for. Here are my questions:

-The biggest problem I have right now is the lack of a wiring harness and not having a clue what color wire is for what. Can anyone help me out with this? Worst case I was planning on using the factory power wires and running my own wiring for everything else but I would like to avoid this if possible.

-The next thing I was wondering about is the front door speaker locations. I found a few posts talking about the fact that the front speaker locations can be modified to take bigger speakers such as 6.5'' speakers. I was unable to find details on this though. Can someone explain to me how this is done?

-I am thinking about installing at least one if not two amps. Has anyone found a good location to ground their amps near the trunk area and a way to mount the amps? Is there a better location for this than the trunk?

That is all I have for now. Any help would be appreciated. My goal is to have the stereo and at least the 6x9s in this weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:27 PM

http://www.moodym.com/maxima/audio/m...ose-wiring.jpg

Here is a schematic for the 95. You could see if the colors match up?

Or, maybe this

http://forums.maxima.org/audio-elect...-non-bose.html

Last edited by Joeker82; 07-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:51 PM

I just wired 4 6.5s in my 93 see and wired 2 12's in the back.

Do you have the harness or is that gone ie: bunch of wires going to two connectors that you can unplug and take out of the car.

If you have that unplug it and the wires are marked for what they are if not I can check my parts car for the color information however cars are not bose so I'm not sure on the difference in the harness.

Make sure you bypass your factory amp in the back when you install also.

Anything else?
Old 07-18-2014, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Joeker82
http://www.moodym.com/maxima/audio/m...ose-wiring.jpg

Here is a schematic for the 95. You could see if the colors match up?
So basically if this is the right wiring for my car I would just use the "input" wires for my speakers and just leave the "12v +", "Ground" and "Tweeter speakers alone then find the corresponding wires on my head unit and connect them? Can anyone else confirm this is the correct wiring for a 91?

Originally Posted by gp540
I just wired 4 6.5s in my 93 see and wired 2 12's in the back.

Do you have the harness or is that gone ie: bunch of wires going to two connectors that you can unplug and take out of the car.
The harness was completely cut out of the car by a previous owner and all that is left are different colored bare wires.

If you have that unplug it and the wires are marked for what they are if not I can check my parts car for the color information however cars are not bose so I'm not sure on the difference in the harness.
I am sure from what I have read there is a difference between Bose and non Bose but I could be wrong.

Make sure you bypass your factory amp in the back when you install also.
How is this done?
Old 07-18-2014, 11:53 PM

You should just salvage the two connectors (leaving a few inches of wire) from a junkyard car, and solder each wire to it's corresponding wire, insulate the splices with shrink wrap.

Or look at the wiring diagram from the service manual clarify which wire is which, and solder the new head unit connector directly to the cut wires.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You should just salvage the two connectors (leaving a few inches of wire) from a junkyard car, and solder each wire to it's corresponding wire, insulate the splices with shrink wrap.

Or look at the wiring diagram from the service manual clarify which wire is which, and solder the new head unit connector directly to the cut wires.
Unfortunately there are no junk yards near by and it's going to be a while before I have a chance to get to one. I also don't have a service manual. I think my only 2 options right now are wire the head unit directly into the car wiring (after I figure out which wire does what) or if I can't find the info on what wire does what I might just have to run my own wire for the speakers and use the existing power wires (I'm assuming the red, yellow, and black wires).

Also I am still trying to find some info on how to convert the front speaker locations to take 6.5'' speakers. If anyone has any info on that I would appreciate it.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:50 PM

Well after a lot of trial and error and testing with a test light I managed to get most of my stereo system installed. Here are the issues I had with the head unit:

There should be two harness connectors in the car and the previous owner cut the big one out leaving only the small one intact. I discovered the small one contained the wiring for the back speakers and stuff I didn't even bother with such as illumination, ect. That made wiring the back speakers easier (more on that in a bit). The big harness contained the front speaker wires, an ignition 12+ and constant 12+ (could not locate this wire testing with a test light, If anyone knows of an alternative 12+ constant I can wire into let me know). I ended up splicing the constant and ignition 12+ wires together. I also made some custom wiring harnesses from some 12v connectors for a computer I had laying around to connect all the wires the previous owner cut (I am still scratching my head on this one). As far as a ground goes I do not completely understand how the Bose system was grounded so I grounded the head unit directly to the chassis. I am left with another problem as a result of the previous owner's "modifications". I realized for some reason he cut the coax cable running from the antenna to the head unit meaning I probably have to buy a new antenna if I want AM/FM.

Here is what I came across when wiring the speakers:

The back speakers were pretty easy to figure out with a little testing (using a crappy old speaker that came with the car). The harness going to the amp was cut by the previous owner (imagine my surprise). This time the wire cutting previous owner actually made my job easier. When the wire harness is cut off there are 2 individual wires and 2 more wires wrapped together with a shielding around them. The two with the shielding around them are the speaker wires and the other two I am assuming are the power wires for the amp. So i simply spliced into those wires for my 6x9 boxes and the back speakers were ready to go.

The front speakers are a little different. first of all before I get into wiring I found a set of 5'' speakers I had for a previous vehicle I never installed and I plan on using those for the front. I think what I am going to do is put a piece of ply wood over the opening of the existing box and cut a hole for the 5'' speaker then screw it in and that should be good enough for now. As far as wiring goes both doors have 4 different colored wires and 2 of them are for the speakers and I assume the other 2 power the amps. I have a list of all the colors and what they are for written down. If anyone is interested let me know and I can post them.

I have to say this is by far the worst car stereo install I have ever done and I have done a few of them. But with some trial and error I figured out the correct wiring (for the most part). If anyone has any suggestions for the antenna let me know.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:55 PM

From my understanding you may have to splice the wires in the door together to make "new age" connectors with blade connections
5 in should work again I had to modify my speaker housing to fit 6.5 in (cut the tops and slide the speaker in at an angle and then drill new holes and screw them in

Here's my email.
Gregpolachuk@gmail.com
Old 07-22-2014, 06:15 PM

I finally had a chance to pull my door panel off for you. This is how I fit mine in crued I know.
Name:  6andahalf.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  50.0 KB
Old 08-02-2014, 08:24 AM

I came up with a solution of my own. I took the black boxes that were in the doors and screwed a piece of plywood to the front of them then cut a 5" hole out of the center and screwed my speakers into them. It doesn't look the greatest but it is functional. Considering the car needs a lot of cosmetic work on it I am more concerned about functionality of things in the car than looks at this point. But maybe in the future I will paint the plywood black to make it look better. My only problem now with the stereo is the antenna. I went and bought a universal one and the cable is only 8' long. Not long enough to run to the location in the back. Looking at some local stores I was unable to find an extension cable so I might drill a hole in the front somewhere and install it there.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:07 AM

know I'm coming in late with this info, but here is the wiring diagram for the Bose radio. Maybe it will still be of some help.

It starts on page 107 and the antenna cable routing is on page 109.

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/1994/EL.pdf

Also, here is the color coding chart.

Wire Color Abbreviations as used on the 94, 97, 2000, 2002

B = Black
L = Blue
SB = Sky Blue
BR = Brown
CH = dark Brown *
G = Green
DG = dark Green *
LG = light Green
GY = Gray