3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fog light rewire emergency!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 07:25 AM
Greyboy

Okay, I can't remeber who's site it was on, but I printed out the directions and now I'm at a dead end. I'm trying to get the fogs to where they turn on with the running lights instead of just the headlights.
My questions is: after you splice in the new wire going from the relay and feed the new wire out to the cornering light to splice it in out there, you said "just tie it into the red/hot wire and you're done." Well, there's three possibilities here. You have the red/yellow, red/white, or the red one that isn't on the wire harness, but is actually on the corner lamp assembly which the directions say "put this aside." If you could help, I'd appreciate it b/c I already tried to splice in the red/yellow and it didn't work. So, now we have the red/white, or the odd red one on the assembly.

Old 11-13-2000, 09:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ok, you need to make sure first of all that the long extension wire that you added is connected to the correct side of the red/yellow wire under the fog light relay. It should be connected to the end that is going into the relay. The end of the red/yellow that is going away from that should just be sealed off and not used. In the cornering light, look at the wires right before the harness to the cornering lamp; there should be 3 - black, red/yellow and red/green (or red/white depending on the side of the car). You want to splice it to the red/yellow. This time you have to make sure to keep this wire intact but still connect it to the extension wire from the relay.
Let me know if this helps.
Old 11-13-2000, 10:07 AM
Greyboy

okay, I did do the right one comming off the relay b/c they light up whenever I touch the wire to the battery. I cut the red/yellow wire and touched it to that wire and turned on the lights, but no go. But is is the wire before the wire harness? hmmmmm. Do I need to still splice the three together? Meaning: once I cut the red/yellow wire I now have two ends of it (one going to the harness then one going to the fender somewhere) and then the new wire, do I splice all of these together? If I do, that's what's wrong b/c I just cut the red/yellow wire and then spliced the new wire to the part that is going into the fender (not the harness). Does any of that make sense? If I could call you this'll help. call me if you want, I'm at work
1-800-995-0203 ext. 2092

Old 11-13-2000, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Greyboy
okay, I did do the right one comming off the relay b/c they light up whenever I touch the wire to the battery. I cut the red/yellow wire and touched it to that wire and turned on the lights, but no go. But is is the wire before the wire harness? hmmmmm. Do I need to still splice the three together? Meaning: once I cut the red/yellow wire I now have two ends of it (one going to the harness then one going to the fender somewhere) and then the new wire, do I splice all of these together? If I do, that's what's wrong b/c I just cut the red/yellow wire and then spliced the new wire to the part that is going into the fender (not the harness). Does any of that make sense? If I could call you this'll help. call me if you want, I'm at work
1-800-995-0203 ext. 2092
I can call you if you want; whats your real name? I don't want to call somewhere and ask for GreyBoy =)
Old 11-13-2000, 10:59 AM
Greyboy

LOL!!!!!!

They might think I'm dealing out of this place or something!!! LOL!!! God that's funny! My name is Kevin Coffman, but if you dial my extension, you'll just be directed directly to me. thanks!

Old 11-13-2000, 12:04 PM

GreyBoy,
here is the car I was talking about:
http://www.geocities.com/justinmc89/89gxeparts.html
the webpage says he has both taillights, the only thing is I don't know which year your car is; if it's 92-94, it will be a little different,but 89-91 will be the same for the lights
it has his email on that page too
if you want his ICQ, I can give it to you -email/IM/ICQ me for it if you want
craigbrace@hotmail.com / gtwhoo / 79178567