3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

transgo or valve body upgrade opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:14 PM

transgo or valve body upgrade opinions

Just curious to know if anyone has used the trango kit for an RE4F02A 3rd gen vg a/t and if so what thoughts may be had on it or has anyone done any valve body upgrades worth while that gives the car a little pep or less lag on the shifts. Basically just curious as to what kind of a/t trans upgrades can be done or worth while doing at a descent cost?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:55 PM

its not worth upgrading that trans. VG auto trans were originally made for small 4-cylinder engines, but they mated them to VG30E which for the time made alot of torque. thats why auto VG are known to blow transmissions around 150,000km, most GXE in junkyards are sitting with a bad transmission. wouldnt be worth it to build the trans

best thing is swap in a VE 5spd
Old 10-18-2014, 08:04 AM

Would the ve 5 speed mate to the vg engine? Would you happen to know the code for that trans.?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:58 AM

Yea, quite a few people have done it. It's the RS5F50V. Do a search on the swap because it requires a few extra parts to swap compared to the F50A (I think axles and hubs).
Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Would the ve 5 speed mate to the vg engine? Would you happen to know the code for that trans.?
lots of people have swapped to VE 5spd, like the other guy said besides the usual 5spd equipment i think you need to change the hubs and axles
Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 PM

I actually just had new axles put on so i dont know if id want to go that route atleast for the time being. Though a 5speed swap would probably make it a little more fun to drive. Has anyone used the trango shift kit on thier RE4F02A a/t.?
Old 10-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

my auto was pretty good.
has the trango kit. HD clutches. external AT filter. higher stall TC.
it took whatever i threw at it without a problem.

even had the phantom grip jammed in there...it did ok but it did developed a crack in the case from the dipstick hole and it kept on leaking ATF so i gave up on it and swapped it for a 5spd.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by DanNY
my auto was pretty good.
has the trango kit. HD clutches. external AT filter. higher stall TC.
it took whatever i threw at it without a problem.

even had the phantom grip jammed in there...it did ok but it did developed a crack in the case from the dipstick hole and it kept on leaking ATF so i gave up on it and swapped it for a 5spd.
Thanks for the input DanNY, Much appreciated. What is the phantom grip? I thought all the RE4F02A autos were drain and fill and didn't have an external filter? Would you happen to have any of the parts left from your old trans.? I know the transgo kit isn't overly expensive. Did you notice a significant difference with the transgo kit? Sorry for all the questions just trying to have a bit of a better understanding.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Thanks for the input DanNY, Much appreciated. What is the phantom grip? I thought all the RE4F02A autos were drain and fill and didn't have an external filter? Would you happen to have any of the parts left from your old trans.? I know the transgo kit isn't overly expensive. Did you notice a significant difference with the transgo kit? Sorry for all the questions just trying to have a bit of a better understanding.
the transgo kit is better pump seals...a few check ***** and springs on the VB.

right hence EXTERNAL filter. just plumbed a filter between the trans and cooler.

it's not THAT significant..but it'll firm up the shifts a little.

you don't want ANY used transmission parts...EVER.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 AM

Phantom Grip is a differential locking mechanism that sorta converts a open differential to a limited slip differential!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM7xCqJD7_I
Old 10-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Thanks for that link Cmax.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 PM

I got the transgo kit in hand for my VG automatic tranny, but never got around to installing it. Back of my mind, still wonder if it's worth it. Some shifts are good but others are slow (I think it's by design of this tranny - so maybe the transgo can help that). I just drive it gently when it's shifting to be easy on the clutches. Got about 230k miles on mine. Stock tranny filer setup (heat exchanger loop built into the radiator). Oh I did change the radiator at some point but still has the same atf heat exchanger loop in it. Been doing ATF changes on mine every 30k for the last ~60k+ miles. I may have dropped the pan and changed the filter it in once, but not sure. Best of luck.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by jakeru
I got the transgo kit in hand for my VG automatic tranny, but never got around to installing it. Back of my mind, still wonder if it's worth it. Some shifts are good but others are slow (I think it's by design of this tranny - so maybe the transgo can help that). I just drive it gently when it's shifting to be easy on the clutches. Got about 230k miles on mine. Stock tranny filer setup (heat exchanger loop built into the radiator). Oh I did change the radiator at some point but still has the same atf heat exchanger loop in it. Been doing ATF changes on mine every 30k for the last ~60k+ miles. I may have dropped the pan and changed the filter it in once, but not sure. Best of luck.
what pan did you drop exactly and what filter did you change?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Apparently it was a tranny pan and filter on another car. (Also this explains why I couldn't find my receipt for those parts.)

I actually am contemplating adding the transgo kit now. Gotta finish a timing belt change in process first and see how I'm feeling about it.

So far doing some of the upgrades I have planned since long ago but just never got around to until recently (top quality brake pads, poly a-arm bushings) have been really rewarding on this car.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by jakeru
Apparently it was a tranny pan and filter on another car. (Also this explains why I couldn't find my receipt for those parts.)

I actually am contemplating adding the transgo kit now. Gotta finish a timing belt change in process first and see how I'm feeling about it.

So far doing some of the upgrades I have planned since long ago but just never got around to until recently (top quality brake pads, poly a-arm bushings) have been really rewarding on this car.
if you're going to go to the trouble of installing the full transgo kit...might as well rebuilt the trans. you're already at the pump section and it's not much more to pull the clutch packs and etc. also you're pulling the the valve body to drop the check ball and springs might as well clean it (VB) out and put in new solenoids. the kit is not for the faint of heart to install...since it will require you to separate the case and all that fun that goes with it.