3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Oil Pan and Pickup Tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 09:12 PM

Oil Pan and Pickup Tube

A while back I posted in search of an oil pan but opted to try and get one from the junkyard instead - upon doing so I realized that I would need a jack/picker to support the engine in order to drop the cross member - a fact that I had unfortunately forgotten.

I promptly said 'screw that' and never did it. Now I really need to, but cannot find a supplier than can get me an oil pan AND a pickup tube. The pickup tube isn't expensive, hardly in fact, a mere 20 bucks new at my cost but unfortunately no longer available. Barring finding any of you souls that might have a junk motor with a good pick-up tube and oil pan (I can still get a pan used, I just kinda didn't want to get bent over on it since the scrapper wants a bit more than I'd like to pay for one) I'll have to bite the pillow on the pan and probably be "that guy" that destroys parts to get the tube I need. I'll likely have to saw open the bottom of a VG30 oil pan and get at the tube since I'll not have the means to remove the oil pan myself at the pick n pull location.

Anybody got a tube and pan? Doesn't have to be perfect, I'd prefer if I'm paying that the pan not be dented and trashed though.

Inb4 "use the classifieds. locked" nobody that may have the parts I need ever responds to messages and I've had better luck with public posts than chasing ghosts around on the classifieds to no avail.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Ebay. You can get one made by spectra for about $80 U.S which beats the heck out of going through the trouble of pulling a used one which most yards I know of will not allow you to jack up any cars in the yard for safety reasons. It will also save you time of having to do the same job twice.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Ebay. You can get one made by spectra for about $80 U.S which beats the heck out of going through the trouble of pulling a used one which most yards I know of will not allow you to jack up any cars in the yard for safety reasons. It will also save you time of having to do the same job twice.
I will probably go the A/M route for a pan if I don't find a used one here and the used parts dealer doesn't have one in good shape. Admittedly I'd LIKE to give my money to an orger, keep it in the family as it were but right now value trumps sentiment LOL gonna go whatever route I have to to get this done.

As for the junk yard, the cars are already up off the ground its just... I really don't want to lug a floor jack or engine support out to the junk yard. I simply don't feel comfortable working alone in a junk yard full of danger on such a risky job. If I get ANYTHING from the junk yard it'll be a pickup tube, and for that, I'll simply sawzall the bottom of the oil pan off and remove the tube that way. Alledgedly you have to pull the transmission too but the FSM says otherwise so I dunno.

Yeah its a **** move but its not like they're helping me out by providing an alternative means and who the hell else is going to buy the pan?
Old 01-21-2015, 05:42 AM

Not sure what you meant by A/M route but $80-89 isn't bad for a brand new pan shipped to your door. I was looking for a pan aswell and had a member send me a message but never heard back from him since from the classifieds. When I take the car back out in spring I'm probably just going to go new being its not a huge expense and saves headache. Can the pickup tube not be bought through Nissan or perhaps eBay ? I haven't looked up a pickup tube but if I hear or find anything i'll keep you posted.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM

A/M= aftermarket.
An oil pick up tube and gasket should be carried by an OEM parts dealer no problem.
Not sure about 3rd gen part pricing, but on my 4th gen an aftermarket pan is $30 vs OEM $80+.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM

Fakie, If you don't mind me asking where did you find a pan for $30?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 AM

Amazon.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:32 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i definitely have a pick up.
i will check about the pan.

PM me.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:36 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
A/M= aftermarket.
An oil pick up tube and gasket should be carried by an OEM parts dealer no problem.
Not sure about 3rd gen part pricing, but on my 4th gen an aftermarket pan is $30 vs OEM $80+.
keep in mind the 4th gen pans are very very small compared to the VGs. The VG are more the full sized pan like in a domestic V8 that bolts on to the block. The 4th gen VG lower pan is just a squarish pan. the upper "pan" is alum and well if you need that it's going to cost A LOT more than $30.