3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Needing some ELECTRICAL help

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 07:16 PM

Needing some ELECTRICAL help

So i finally got around to installing an led kit for my door panels, dome and map lights etc. that i got from americaner which look awsome by the way and if i get this issue fixed maybe i can post some pics. so anyway all was well until i popped the trunk and pulled the little trunk lid buld to replace with a single led. When putting the led in it was getting dark so i was having some difficulty plugging it into the socket first putting the bulb prongs facing east and west then realizing it plugged in facing front to back if im making any sense. Then next thing i know the door lights i just installed are now out. My keyless entry went dead and my airbag light is on and my clock is out. Not to mention my stereo is out and im sure to go crazy with no tunes especially with a setup thats worth listening to with what i have sunk into it. I checked the room light fuse but that only does the map and dome light which is still good. I also checked the tail lamp fuze because my running lights are now also out but the tail lamps still work when i put the headlights on and all else seems to work fine. Im hoping it's just a fuse or something simple im over looking but any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance guys. Hopefully i can get it solved easily. Im a little stumped as to why the airbag light is on

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-01-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:25 PM

take a multimeter to every single fuse, it's faster than checking individual ones, start there and replace as necessary, hope that's all it is
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 PM

Check the fusible link at your positive battery terminal. I had a similar issue where it seemed everything was dead inside the car.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
Check the fusible link at your positive battery terminal. I had a similar issue where it seemed everything was dead inside the car.
You mean in the same fuze box at the drivers side fire wall where the engine control fuse is?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
You mean in the same fuze box at the drivers side fire wall where the engine control fuse is?
No, on the positive battery terminal. It's the red fusible link attached to the positive battery terminal with 2 plugs I believe.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:59 PM

No, on the positive battery terminal. It's the red fusible link attached to the positive battery terminal with 2 plugs I believe.
O.k i think i know exactly what your talking about but how can you tell if theres a problem with it? Ive actually never even had to unplug that before. I believe theyre the exact same on the 4th gens too.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:09 PM

https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-genera...help-asap.html

Go to the link above.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:40 PM

Thanks GRNMAXDMON, I skimmed through it but i will read up a little more tomorrow. Im not sure if the fusible link is the issue but i will definately look into it. I don't have an aftermarket alarm but i also noticed the the factory security system isn't on either. This all seemed to have happened while replacing one trunk lid bulb in the dark
Old 06-01-2015, 09:12 PM

The trunk light is on a 10 amp fuse left column, 4th up from the bottom.

Also on this fuse is pretty much everything you say doesn't work: step lamps (lights in door), audio, power antenna, clock, air bag system, digital dash, auto air controls, theft system, digital touch entry, automatic seat belts, key illumination.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik

Also on this fuse is pretty much everything you say doesn't work: step lamps (lights in door), audio, power antenna, clock, air bag system, digital dash, auto air controls, theft system, digital touch entry, automatic seat belts, key illumination.
Awesome. Thanks Dennis. Wow that seems to be alot of accessories on one 10amp fuse. I will look at that tonight first thing when I get home from work. I thought maybe it would have been on the dome light fuse but when I checked it it was fine and my dome and map lights were o.k. What is the fuse labeled as? I figured I had checked the obvious ones but obviously I may have over looked the fuse you mentioned. I'll check it tonight and let you know if it's the culprit. Thanks again

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-02-2015 at 04:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 AM

I pull that fuse sometimes when working on the car so the battery doesn't drain. Even if it's good, give it a wiggle or replace it, see what happens. Also, you say your running lights work but your tails don't, but they are on the same circuit. The Canadian models have daytime running lights, and I don't know off the head how exactly the control unit interacts with standard circuit, but on the US model, if the corner lights are on, your tail lights are on. I would probably look at the daytime control unit, or completely remove it. It's a waste of about 100 watts during daylight, and is prone to issues.

Last edited by Hectic; 06-02-2015 at 05:21 AM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Awesome. Thanks Dennis. Wow that seems to be alot of accessories on one 10amp fuse. I will look at that tonight first thing when I get home from work. I thought maybe it would have been on the dome light fuse but when I checked it it was fine and my dome and map lights were o.k. What is the fuse labeled as? I figured I had checked the obvious ones but obviously I may have over looked the fuse you mentioned. I'll check it tonight and let you know if it's the culprit. Thanks again
You post at 6:52 in the morning "when I get home from work". My sympathies.

I don't have the labels for the fuses, so I can't tell you what it is. What I can tell you is that it is 2 fuses above the dome light fuse.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:11 AM

You post at 6:52 in the morning "when I get home from work". My sympathies.

I don't have the labels for the fuses, so I can't tell you what it is. What I can tell you is that it is 2 fuses above the dome light fuse.
Sorry. I hadn't stop to think we're in different time zones lol. Thanks again and I will post back to let you know.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:06 AM

I was home on lunch and just as you said that fuse was the culprit. Thanks again Dennis