3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

random stalling VG

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:19 PM

random stalling VG

Just recently the past 2 days i've been having an issue with random stalling. Ive been trying to go through a process of elimination but any help or input from those with experience or have experienced the issue would be much appreciated. I had recently put in an aftermarket coil like an msd blaster which i thought may have been a problem so i swapped back to factory and still having the issue. I don't believe it has anything to do with battery or alt. as everthing still stays on and it's only the engine that shuts down. Im thinking it's either ignition or fuel related. I even put in another ecu temporarily due to a timing issue after adjusting the distributor and threw off a chipped tune that was done but that's another issue. New ecu seems to work fine. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or if theres a common solution. My gut is leaning toward a fuel related issue but im not 100%. Could the ignitor/ignition module under the distributor play a role in an issue like this random stalling im experiencing? Or is there something else i should be looking at first. Fuel pump is only a year old and has worked fine. This problem has just come up the past 2 days. Runs fine with no bucking or hesitation and doesnt sound like theres any big misfires. just suddenly stalls. Any suggestions?

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-19-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:22 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

When does it stall? While driving? When coming to a stop? You never really explained the stalling scenarios
Old 06-21-2015, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
When does it stall? While driving? When coming to a stop? You never really explained the stalling scenarios
Sorry, I should have been a little more clear. It's actually stalling both at idle and while accelerating. At idle it has stalled in both drive and park.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:37 AM

I would swap out the transistor ignition module first.... and make sure your idle is where it should be...as well as TPS settings.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Hi CMax, I swapped back the coil to the stock one thinking that oil filled cylinder coil may have been faulty but i still have the same issue. I had a mechanic who knows the cars pretty good tell me to check my maf connection but from what i can see it looks good. Wouldn't that ignition module/transistor cause a no start issue aswell? Its seems to start just fine and it may run for hours or a full day before it stalls out. It's just random whether idling or accelerating. I have a spare ignition module/ignitor so i guess i have nothing to lose though it's going into the shop friday so i'll see what the mechanic says. Idle is where it should be when running at 750 rpm. The tps has always been in the same position long before this issue came up. When talking to a mechanic that specializes with nissans he's rarely if ever heard of anyone having to change the ignitor but again if i have a spare i suppose i have nothing to lose trying it. My guts telling me it's more so fuel related than ignition but i could be wrong and im sure the fuel pressure will be one of the things on the list to check when it's in the shop.

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-22-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Good luck!
Thanks. Hopefully its something silly and fingers crossed doesn't take an arm and a leg to diagnose.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 PM

So I had noticed that the terminals holding my fuel pump fuse were slightly spread. After sqeezing them together tight the fuse went back in snug and so far one week and no stalling. Im guessing that solved the issue.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I chased a rough running issue which came out of nowhere. By pulling ignition leads I found that cylinder 4 wasn't firing. Spark was OK so I suspected injector. Resistance good I though maybe faulty harness. About to pull my hair out I started fiddling with fuses under dash and found a partially dislodged "Eng Cont" fuse. Pushing it in solved the prob. There were no error codes and pulling the fuse just stopped all action. I was unable to reproduce this behaviour! The only other issue I had years ago was an intermittent MAF Meter issue which was also hard to diagnose. Car is getting to 30 years old. When all is well (which is most of the time) it goes like new. I find the worst problems come from frail rubber & plastic bits which is a worry because there is a lot of that in the Max. The other problem is with capacitors in the electronics. In the end we might all have to revert to cars made from metal, like early Volvos or Datsuns. Or become wealthy and join the throw-away society.

Originally Posted by ac max 92
Just recently the past 2 days i've been having an issue with random stalling. Ive been trying to go through a process of elimination but any help or input from those with experience or have experienced the issue would be much appreciated. I had recently put in an aftermarket coil like an msd blaster which i thought may have been a problem so i swapped back to factory and still having the issue. I don't believe it has anything to do with battery or alt. as everthing still stays on and it's only the engine that shuts down. Im thinking it's either ignition or fuel related. I even put in another ecu temporarily due to a timing issue after adjusting the distributor and threw off a chipped tune that was done but that's another issue. New ecu seems to work fine. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem or if theres a common solution. My gut is leaning toward a fuel related issue but im not 100%. Could the ignitor/ignition module under the distributor play a role in an issue like this random stalling im experiencing? Or is there something else i should be looking at first. Fuel pump is only a year old and has worked fine. This problem has just come up the past 2 days. Runs fine with no bucking or hesitation and doesnt sound like theres any big misfires. just suddenly stalls. Any suggestions?
Old 03-22-2021, 11:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Stalling is likely due to the Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor.

The CHTS is sensitive to failure, and causes the fuel delivery to be sent incorrectly. My 1985 did it, and I replaced it when I did the timing belt. Required to do at the same time. Might as well do the pulleys too.