3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

O2 sensor really good ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 03:21 AM

O2 sensor really good ?

My situation right now.

On a cold engine, my car starts and idle after changing iacv. But idle around 500. I still need adjust timing to 15 degrees and tps. After engine warms up temp the engine dies. Then it becomes harder to start. It eventually starts after a coiple of cranks but i have to keep reving it to stay on. If i let go of gas pedal it turn off.

Now my ?

Right now my O2 sensor is plug in to exhaust but exhaust is not connected to downpipe yet. I believe the o2 sensor is one of the major sensor to report to ecu to inject less or more fuel. When engine warms up does engine need more fuel to run right (14.7)?
Because downpipe isnt connected to exhaust O2 sensors isn't getting a reading could that cause my issue? I'm planning on Connecting everything to see sensor actually tell ecu to shoot more fuel when warm. Ecu has been disconnected for 2 months so does it needs to relearn the car again?

Last edited by TonyJr; 04-08-2016 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:09 PM

Normaly when cars first warm up they run purpously rich to heat up faster and then after warmed it it relies on the o2 for fueling. Yes not having that pipe connected will not only cause running issues but make you run pig rich due to the exaust flow being compromised and the o2 sensor picking up improper flowing gasses
Old 04-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Old 04-12-2016, 03:57 PM

I had a Mazda that used to do the same thing. As soon as the engine warmed up it turned off. It turned out to be a spider web on the MAF sensor. I cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner and the problem immediately went away. The car was sitting for a few years, but I think its worth looking into since its only a few minutes time.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:05 AM

Problem solve car holds idle when warm. It was a vacuum leak that was a small one on the iacv gasket. As soon as iacv switches to off when car hets warm up. The leak would increase. I made another custom gasket marker and it held idle this time. I drove it around the block. It ran like **** because its not on 15* degree timing and tps is off tune and idle is low at 600 rpm. After test drive i notice my radiator was leaking. 2 minutes later raditor pop on the bottom corner. Smh

Im glad it runs, so hsppy i did the timing job right. And super lucky to have you guys help. Thanks everyone. Now its time to buy a timing gun and radiator. Adjust tps and i should be ready to schedule a tune with my nistune.

P.s iacv gasket is

Old 05-30-2016, 08:20 PM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
Normaly when cars first warm up they run purpously rich to heat up faster and then after warmed it it relies on the o2 for fueling. Yes not having that pipe connected will not only cause running issues but make you run pig rich due to the exaust flow being compromised and the o2 sensor picking up improper flowing gasses
Just for everyone's info, none of this is true. The car does inject more fuel when the engine is cold, but not to heat it up faster. Thats not the way it works, excess fuel (ie running rich) helps cool the engine. The excess fuel is needed because a cold engine requires more fuel to operate. Once the engine is hot, gasoline combustion is easier so less is needed.
For the o2 sensor, unless it shorted out there is no way it would cause the car to stop running. It only makes minor fuel adjustments (mostly for emissions). In several countries the 3rd gen didnt even come with an o2 sensor.

Please, please don't make stuff up. Someone may read that and believe it. We are a community of information, not misinformation.
Old 06-02-2016, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Just for everyone's info, none of this is true. The car does inject more fuel when the engine is cold, but not to heat it up faster. Thats not the way it works, excess fuel (ie running rich) helps cool the engine. The excess fuel is needed because a cold engine requires more fuel to operate. Once the engine is hot, gasoline combustion is easier so less is needed.
For the o2 sensor, unless it shorted out there is no way it would cause the car to stop running. It only makes minor fuel adjustments (mostly for emissions). In several countries the 3rd gen didnt even come with an o2 sensor.

Please, please don't make stuff up. Someone may read that and believe it. We are a community of information, not misinformation.
Sorry I was a little drunk when I posted that, I don't normaly browse the third gen section. I know that when an engine is cold that it uses extra fuel because fuel atomization is very poor on a cold engine, I just figured that more fuel=more heat, unless the extra is just being tossed down the exaust.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:42 AM
Adˇminˇisˇtraˇtor

Originally Posted by MadMax SE
Sorry I was a little drunk when I posted that, I don't normaly browse the third gen section. I know that when an engine is cold that it uses extra fuel because fuel atomization is very poor on a cold engine, I just figured that more fuel=more heat, unless the extra is just being tossed down the exaust.
less fuel = more heat

lean conditions is what makes motors go boom.
rich will make it run like doo doo.