3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Lost to a Neon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2002, 12:38 PM
is invisible

Lost to a Neon.

From a stop, two lanes turning left, he had the inner lane. Must have been the 150hp 5-speed version.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Lost to a Neon.

Originally posted by CoolMax
From a stop, two lanes turning left, he had the inner lane. Must have been the 150hp 5-speed version.
what mods do you have?? tune up maybe.....
Old 02-04-2002, 12:44 PM
is invisible

Re: Re: Lost to a Neon.

Originally posted by DA-MAX

what mods do you have?? tune up maybe.....
Tune-up definitely!

But him having the inner helps plenty.
I've lost the same way to a 4th gen GLE when I drove a 4th gen GXE(auto).
Old 02-04-2002, 12:50 PM

150HP 5 speed?

is that the R/T version...those suckers are kinda fast, but I still don't understand why anyone would be a fast Neon...it's still a freaking Neon.
Old 02-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

whoops, forgot about those....yeah the RT would be a challenge for the VG auto, but I figure add a y-pipe/intake and the VG would come out on top or even. but yeah the RT isn't too slow of a car since its lighter and a 5spd, but yeah its still a Neon!

but the SRt-4 Neon is gonna be a killer though.....
Old 02-04-2002, 01:55 PM

Any 5spd DOHC neon would beat/spank a VG auto. However the autos are dogs and we can beat them if we get the jump. Generally the DOHC neons are about as fast as the SE-Rs are. But the SOHC neons can be beaten by VG autos. I killed one that had intake and exhaust back when I only had a CAI. I ran 3 16.8 @ 80mph to his 17.0-17.2 @ 81mph.
Old 02-04-2002, 02:04 PM

for mental support i'd just chalk it up to the whole inner lane thing.
Old 02-04-2002, 04:03 PM

Tune UP!!!??????????????

i never got one.... what do they do..?
clean the intakes?
Old 02-04-2002, 05:00 PM

the 2.4 stratus swap still OwNz aLl neons!
Old 02-04-2002, 05:45 PM

come to the land of VE
Old 02-04-2002, 06:02 PM

my friend had a new 5spd Neon

not the r/t but that really doesn't make any difference because it's the same engine. They are pretty fast, he kills me. I bet it could beat a 5spd VG/auto VE also...don't underestimate! He has no mods either. The auto neons are 3spd so any decent car should kill it.

PJ
Old 02-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: my friend had a new 5spd Neon

Originally posted by speednsound007
not the r/t but that really doesn't make any difference because it's the same engine. They are pretty fast, he kills me. I bet it could beat a 5spd VG/auto VE also...don't underestimate! He has no mods either. The auto neons are 3spd so any decent car should kill it. PJ
Base models have a ~132hp SOHC 2.0L four, R/T's have a 150hp DOHC 2.0L four based on the Eclipse DOHC 140hp engine. They're light when ordered w/o power steering (or disconnected), a/c, stereo, etc. This guy I know named Tim found one with a DOHC motor transplanted into it w/ no a/c or stereo. He took off all the intake tract and made a Cold Air, put on a 2.25" exhaust, gutted the Cat, put a 2" tach on the column and got his launch down cold. I saw it walk a stock AWD TSI Talon to a tie (Talon got the launch).
Old 02-04-2002, 08:40 PM

You need to find out what is wrong with your engine and fix it so that never happens again.
Old 02-04-2002, 08:41 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer
i never got one.... what do they do..?
clean the intakes?
not to be rude, but are you serious???
Old 02-04-2002, 08:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

In a magazine I saw that the R/T's do a 15.9 1/4 mile. Same as the Civic Si. Well, I am at almost sea level and the local performance shop has an R/T for a project. So, far it has rims, suspension, Intake, and catback. The experienced 5 speed driver can only get a 16.20 out of it. I can wear them out.
Old 02-04-2002, 09:08 PM

Don't count out the little known NEON ACR
Old 02-04-2002, 10:50 PM

Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

not to be rude, but are you serious???

I think he was joking... (I think???)
Old 02-05-2002, 04:23 PM

Re: Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

Originally posted by nismo1989

I think he was joking... (I think???)
LOL well i was joking ..but do you think i should get one too.??? the car has 80k on it ... all factory tranny engine, plugs etc..

o yea i got new belts when i first bought it

what do they do during a tune up ?
Old 02-05-2002, 04:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

its all good man, just playing around...tune up usually consists of:

spark plug change
plug wire change
cap and rotor change
oil and tranny fluid change
pcv valve replacement(didn't want to say change again )
fuel filter change
coolant change(usually done yearly)
timing check
check all hoses and lines and fluids
TB cleaning

there might be a tad bit more, but thats usually what it entails...most places charge up wards of $250+ for a full tuneup, but majority of the stuff can be done yourslef, I suggest you pick up a Haynes maunal and check it out, they have a whole section on tune-ups and step by step directions to follow for the above procedures.

LOL well i was joking ..but do you think i should get one too.??? the car has 80k on it ... all factory tranny engine, plugs etc..

o yea i got new belts when i first bought it

what do they do during a tune up ?
Old 02-05-2002, 05:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

da ma- ok cool .. What are the best spark plugs i can use/wires?
there not expencive ...r they?
Old 02-05-2002, 09:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tune UP!!!??????????????

da ma- ok cool .. What are the best spark plugs i can use/wires?
there not expencive ...r they?
Very nice, da-max (again)

Chris: just use OEM wires since your ignition is stock and your N/A. Don't worry about getting the most expensive wires you can cause you will replace them your next tune-up anyway.
Get the book.
Old 02-06-2002, 06:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medic
150HP 5 speed?

is that the R/T version...those suckers are kinda fast, but I still don't understand why anyone would be a fast Neon...it's still a freaking Neon.

Sport Compact Car: March 2002

Dodge Neon - 9.07 @ 157 mph (4cyl, Auto, Turbo, Nitrous)
Dodge Neon - 11.06 @ 121 mph ALL MOTOR (4cyl, 5spd)
Old 02-06-2002, 07:57 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

heh, asks the 4th gen guys who came to Maxus about FAST Neons....little POS cars were running 13 and 14's all over the VQs!

Originally posted by Pervis Anathema
Sport Compact Car: March 2002

Dodge Neon - 9.07 @ 157 mph (4cyl, Auto, Turbo, Nitrous)
Dodge Neon - 11.06 @ 121 mph ALL MOTOR (4cyl, 5spd)
Old 02-06-2002, 09:24 AM

Re: my friend had a new 5spd Neon

Originally posted by speednsound007
not the r/t but that really doesn't make any difference because it's the same engine. They are pretty fast, he kills me. I bet it could beat a 5spd VG/auto VE also...don't underestimate! He has no mods either. The auto neons are 3spd so any decent car should kill it.

PJ

Keep in mind that the R/T has different gearing than the normal Neons. The R/T is really pretty quick (for what it is)... and it does awesome on the autocross course.
Old 02-06-2002, 04:44 PM

cool looking engine

What sparkplug wires can i use... i mean the colored wires

- on Ebay i sometimes see these spark plugs that say will give you +3-5 HP .. there not platnim tiped, there some other odd metal. but ther said to be used on maximas

-im going out to buy some wires/plugs
-can i get my intake cleaned out anywere? (VG) by the intake im talking about that big mainifold after the TB that has "NISSAN" carved on it.

..........damn ,sound like newbie
links would help.. i know.....i suck
Old 02-06-2002, 05:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: cool looking engine

no HP gains are made from spark plugs, thats BS. you can use NGK plugs and wires...available at Nissan, racesearch.com (good service/prices), carparts.com, etc.......you "could" clean the intake manifold, BUT I can tell that you aren't that experienced yet so no need for that now...BUT you can clean your TB easily, do a search there are plenty directions posted about it, its a real easy job! but I can't stress buying a Haynes maunal enough, its the biggest help and you'll be so much more knowledgeable about doing the tuneup and probably save cash in the longrun!!!

What sparkplug wires can i use... i mean the colored wires

- on Ebay i sometimes see these spark plugs that say will give you +3-5 HP .. there not platnim tiped, there some other odd metal. but ther said to be used on maximas

-im going out to buy some wires/plugs
-can i get my intake cleaned out anywere? (VG) by the intake im talking about that big mainifold after the TB that has "NISSAN" carved on it.

..........damn ,sound like newbie
links would help.. i know.....i suck
Old 02-06-2002, 05:21 PM

Re: Re: cool looking engine

no HP gains are made from spark plugs, thats BS.

wrong
Old 02-06-2002, 05:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

LOL !!!

i i can do anything.. i just need money.. i cleaned the TB when i first got the car.....i used the whole can but still keped pulling black gunk from the intake(carbon?)

so what up wit this sparkplug thing? the dealer can sell me colore wires? (but there always expencive)
Old 02-06-2002, 11:29 PM

Again, my advise (for your car specifically) would be to use OEM spec wires regardless of the color. If you want blue wires, buy some wire loom. It ends up being cheaper that way anyway cause you can reuse it.
And one more thing: when you clean the throttle body, don't put the old gasket back in there (if you even can). Replace it. $3 tops.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:17 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

Originally posted by Dummy
wrong
give me proof it does??? and don't tell me about Denso Iridium ones, been there done that.....
Old 02-07-2002, 09:22 AM

for the same reason that using a high octane fuel does... it makes more of the fuel ignite at once... when you use 87 on stock stystem.. you often thet mabye 2 or 3 little explosions that push the piston down... if the spark was considerablly hotter then more could explode at once... but at 93 octane the gas will tend to make 1 large explosion giving you mroe hp/torque but such as race fuel its much harder to ignite... so yes.. they help.. does it help a lot... no... but why not spend a dollar or 2 more and get decent stuff

think of keyrosene... that stuff is one of the most effecient fules.. put a gallon in a bucked.. and thow a match it... $1 sais it will put the match out

look under a space shuttle before take off... do you think one or 2 spark plugs to light those huge engines... no.. it takes like 20 ft long sparks!

if you have a gas stove.. start it up and turn the heat down real low.. sometiems you can make only part of the burner light up.. even though gas is comin out of the rest
Old 02-07-2002, 09:27 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

give me proof it does??? and don't tell me about Denso Iridium ones, been there done that.....
Granted, I don't exactly have dyno sheets or anything but high performance spark plugs increase power by increasing the amount of energy in the spark. This creates a hotter, faster burn resulting in more power and better throttle response by reacting quicker to increased fuel/air mixture. The power increase is minimal, usually only 1-2hp with plug wires, that's why nobody makes dyno runs after changing to hipo plugs. I did however notice an improvement in gas mileage (2mpg) when I switched to Splitfires. If nothing else that shows at least better fuel efficiency, and an efficient engine is a powerful one (compared to one of equal size with less efficiency anyway).
Old 02-07-2002, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by chrispy
for the same reason that using a high octane fuel does... it makes more of the fuel ignite at once... when you use 87 on stock stystem.. you often thet mabye 2 or 3 little explosions that push the piston down...
Dude, you're way off. Whoever told you that is a complete dumbsh*t. Octane is detonation resistance. Detonation is an explosion, that's when ALL of the fuel more or less ignites at the same time. Since the piston can't accelerate that fast a lot of that energy turns into heat and melts the piston, which then fragments under the remaining pressure. Higher octane reduces the tendency of the gasoline to detonate, thereby making the desired, controlled, progressive burn. If you pick up power by using higher octane, either you were getting detonation or your car had to pull out that much ignition timing to compensate for detonation. By race gas I'm assuming you mean methanol (methyl alcohol). Alcohol has less chemical energy than gasoline but it's much more stable (i.e.-higher flashpoint). Alcohol requires a spark to ignite it, mere compression alone won't ignite it like diesel fuel or gasoline when you get up over a 14:1 CR. In other words, Alcohol engines can use much higher compression than gas engines, creating far more torque than would be possible using gasoline. Alcohol also burns much smoother than gas making it much less stressful on an engine when compared to gas under similar conditions. No a bucket of Kerosene wouldn't ignite if you threw a match on it because liquid doesn't ignite, oxygen can't penetrate liquid, it penetrates vapors. That's why atomization and clean fuel injectors are so important.
-Justin
Old 02-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

not ture at all....the only way to increase spark output is adding an aftermarket ignition! POINT BLANK!

Originally posted by Badaxxima
Granted, I don't exactly have dyno sheets or anything but high performance spark plugs increase power by increasing the amount of energy in the spark.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:30 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

not ture at all....the only way to increase spark output is adding an aftermarket ignition! POINT BLANK!
First of all:

Secondly, OEM ignition wires do not use the highest quality materials. Nor do OEM plugs. Switching to low resistance, highly insulated plugs and wires reduces the amount of energy lost between the coil and the plugs. Thereby increasing the energy available for the spark. Like I said before, the increase is minimal, esp. when compared to using say, a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil, but it's there.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

great, so go ahead and buy your $30 Denso Iridium plugs and $116 8.5mm Magncores and go dyno them and show me the increase.....like I said been there, done that......

First of all:

Secondly, OEM ignition wires do not use the highest quality materials. Nor do OEM plugs. Switching to low resistance, highly insulated plugs and wires reduces the amount of energy lost between the coil and the plugs. Thereby increasing the energy available for the spark. Like I said before, the increase is minimal, esp. when compared to using say, a Pertronix Flame Thrower coil, but it's there.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

great, so go ahead and buy your $30 Denso Iridium plugs and $116 8.5mm Magncores and go dyno them and show me the increase.....like I said been there, done that......
I was just clearing up what you said. I never said it was worth it, I said over and over that the increase was minimal. Don't take it so personally. I thought you were here to lighten the mood anyway?
Old 02-07-2002, 08:34 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

oh no nothing personal at all...its just that I seen the Denso Iridiums in action before on the VG...a friend of mine "largo 72" used them, they caused idle probs(even after checking the gap) and showed no added low-end to high end, we replaced the OEM NGKs and problem is gone...not that I'm closed minded on "new" mods, but I must say once I experience something firsthand I stick to my guns! IMO the stock NGKs all all thats needed, even with an upgraded ignition they perform fine with no fouling what so ever! just trying to save someone else the trouble is all....

I was just clearing up what you said. I never said it was worth it, I said over and over that the increase was minimal. Don't take it so personally. I thought you were here to lighten the mood anyway?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:52 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cool looking engine

You are correct. Spark plugs all spark the same. The only difference between them for the most part is heat transfer...
As far as the wires, unless you are runnin madddd boost and have an aftermarket ignition system that is way beyone OEM, you are probably most likely wasting those extra $$$$$.