3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anti-Theft alarm randomly after driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 12:57 PM

Anti-Theft alarm randomly after driving

I have a '90 SE. The anti-theft alarm often sounds a few minutes after driving, even if no one touches the car. It stops with the normal method; just open the driver door with the key.

If I just stop the alarm by opening the driver door with the key, then lock and close that door, it sometimes happens again a few minutes later.

If I open and firmly close all four doors, trunk lid, and hood, then that seems to fix the problem until the next time I drive.

I thought I'd just disable it by pulling the fuse. But it happened again a few minutes later even with the fuse gone. It's the 10a fuse that is located on the right hand side of the fuse box, third from bottom. BTW the fuse looks as good as new.

Any suggestions? I would like to just disable the anti-theft alarm.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:20 PM

Okay, I found the larger anti-theft fuse under the hood. I guess the smaller one under the dash is just for the dash indicator light?

I removed that larger anti-theft fuse under the hood. That definitely disabled it; now when I unlock the trunk with the key while the driver door is closed & locked, no alarm sounds.

Could that fuse be the problem? Is it possible to test it with a multi-meter?

Last edited by GregL65; 09-11-2020 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by GregL65
Okay, I found the larger anti-theft fuse under the hood. I guess the smaller one under the dash is just for the dash indicator light?

I removed that larger anti-theft fuse under the hood. That definitely disabled it; now when I unlock the trunk with the key while the driver door is closed & locked, no alarm sounds.

Could that fuse be the problem? Is it possible to test it with a multi-meter?
Dam Maxima issues! Mine just did that this morning and I am driving home to figure out how to disable it as we speak and I see this post! Great timing. Where exactly is the fuse under the hood? Directions or pics?
Old 09-11-2020, 06:40 PM

You saw this post while driving?? I hope you make it home alive! ;-)

It's near the left front wheel. Look for a long brown plastic cover labeled Fuses. There are several fuses there. One of them labeled something like "A. Theft". You'll need a screwdriver or narrow key or something similar to release the latch to remove it.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 PM

It's near the left front wheel. Look for a long brown plastic cover labeled Fuses. There are several fuses there. One of them labeled something like "A. Theft". You'll need a screwdriver or narrow key or something similar to release the latch to remove it.
Got home safely, thank you. I tried it and nothing works. Door panel off and messing with the plug connected to the lock, unplugged it, nothing. Take out the alarm switch under the hood, nothing. Unlocking thru driver and passenger side, nothing. The trunk trick never worked for me either. Im just gonna start ripping out ****in wires
Old 09-11-2020, 07:22 PM

Got home safely, thank you. I tried it and nothing works. Door panel off and messing with the plug connected to the lock, unplugged it, nothing. Take out the alarm switch under the hood, nothing. Unlocking thru driver and passenger side, nothing. The trunk trick never worked for me either. Im just gonna start ripping out ****in wires.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:56 PM

Okay, this is crazy, but tonight the alarm sounded again! My wife had driven it about seven hours earlier. As usual, unlocking the driver door made it stop.

I then locked the doors and tested opening the trunk with the key, which always used to set it off. Nothing happened. So the removal of the fuse under the hood still seems to have at least some of the effect it I thought it had.

So now I'm thinking maybe there's a short somewhere in there. What wire do I need to cut or detach to make it stop?!?!?!?
Old 09-24-2020, 01:10 AM

Are your door hinges in good shape? I would imagine a loose door could lock but not make the door closed switch closed. After you lock the car does the security light come on solid, then go out?
Old 09-24-2020, 09:33 AM

the timer module under the dash could be failing. open it up and examine it for corrosion and cold solder connections.