3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Pilot Bushing/bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 03:15 PM

Pilot Bushing/bearing

Need your help on this guys. Long ago i did the 5speed swap on my GXE. Now i am doing the VE 5speed swap. Do our VG crank already have a sleeve where the pilot bushing or bearing is installed? I am trying to do this right as i already got a new exedy clutch kit but the alignment tool will not keep the clutch plate in place. Am I supposed to remove the bushing from the crank to install the pilot bushing or bearing or both so that the alignment tool keep the clutch disc in place?

Last edited by GRNMAXDMON; 06-06-2021 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:17 PM

Thats and Empty hole. Install the bushing "First" in that hole untill it stops. The Tool should hold the disc then.
Old 06-06-2021, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Reality sucks
Thats and Empty hole. Install the bushing "First" in that hole untill it stops. The Tool should hold the disc then.
I tried to install the bushing but it didn’t go all the way in. Looking at the back of the crank, it seems I need to remove the metal ring that seems as if a pilot bearing is supposed to go there. The brass pilot bushing that came with the crank wouldn’t go past that point?
Old 06-07-2021, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
I tried to install the bushing but it didn’t go all the way in. Looking at the back of the crank, it seems I need to remove the metal ring that seems as if a pilot bearing is supposed to go there. The brass pilot bushing that came with the crank wouldn’t go past that point?
Alright I see what you have going on now. So, Yes you need to remove that bushing (your Picture). Then install the bearing/Bushing that came with your clutch kit. That appears to have come from and automatic car. I thought your question was "Do you need to install it at all.?"

I took a picture of a 5spd V I have in my scrap pile. It only has the bearing. I also have an auto V next to it is like picture you posted in 1st post. If you don't have access to the tool, it can be rented as a loaner at Autozone. It's called a "Blind Hole Puller" ✌

Old 06-07-2021, 07:16 PM

Alright I see what you have going on now. So, Yes you need to remove that bushing (your Picture). Then install the bearing/Bushing that came with your clutch kit. That appears to have come from and automatic car. I thought your question was "Do you need to install it at all.?"

I took a picture of a 5spd V I have in my scrap pile. It only has the bearing. I also have an auto V next to it is like picture you posted in 1st post. If you don't have access to the tool, it can be rented as a loaner at Autozone. It's called a "Blind Hole Puller" ✌
Thank you! Yes that is what I wanted to know if it can be removed in order to press in the bushing. Again thanks for clearing this up for me.
Old 06-29-2021, 10:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you rock dude