3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ABS Wheel speed sensor options in 2023?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 07:05 PM

ABS Wheel speed sensor options in 2023?

Hey friends been a while... I ended up not selling my 3rd gen and it has sat around now several years I have started giving it some well deserved love again.

Prior to parking it a few years back I had a ABS / Wheel speed sensor fail and it was mighty expensive back then to replace and it has only gotten worse over time. When I can find some they are almost $400 CAD a corner.

Now it being 2023 almost 2024 our parts our long discontinued but I am hoping to find a workable retrofit that will work for our cars and create documentation for future searches as I have come up dry on maximaclub, nicoclub, nismoforums and here at maxima.org.

Browsing around I have found a few items that look like they may work but haven't spent my hard earned money risking it for science.

Will a 95/96 Maxima sensor work for our cars they look similar but have a rounded end a pose to our straight end? I see that mid 1994 the sensors changed from the old part number to a new part number then again change in the following 2 years...

anyone have ideas about sensors that will work that are still available for less than a arm and a leg or your first born child?
Old 09-04-2023, 07:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

well, rockauto has them for 235 USD, which works out to like 320 something canadian. still pretty damn expensive and god knows what the quality is on those.

recently my ABS light came on and ive been suspicious of the sensors, since when i first turn the car on, the light is off, but once i drive over 10mph it comes back on. how did you come to the conclusion that the issue was the sensor? i want to see if my issue is actually the sensor or not.

Anyways, the nissan dealer by me has an oddball selection of parts for the 3rd gen, though its pretty hit or miss. In the morning when theyre open ill see what they want for one, if they even have em. hopefully its at least a little cheaper. will let you know.
Old 09-05-2023, 02:16 PM

yeah i see those also, but I refuse to believe there is a reason for the price... I get supply and demand for low inventory but dang 2023 has everything over inflated.

I tried ordering something and received a wrong item shipment... actually I ordered a RF LF that looked aproximate to our oem sensor but they mis shipped me 12 sensors for a newer model hyundai...whoops on the shipper because I got my money back and kept that box of stuff.
I had ordered a fengshen bluebird LF RF speed sensor kits but was shipped wrong items lol ^ they look almost right i was hoping if the angle was wrong to convince the ring to a new position but the measurements are correct on the sensor body but the cable is slightly short... not a big deal i can make a engine compartment extension..
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005510050098.html

I have a few more that i am looking at i will link them here.
i haven't ordered these yet but they looked promising
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004591507212.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000689992570.html

anyone think these might work out? I'll probably just try them if i can confirm some info with the seller. I wouldn't trust a engine sensor from china but I'll try a abs sensor to save hundreds of $$$
Old 09-10-2023, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by robbo7200
recently my ABS light came on and ive been suspicious of the sensors, since when i first turn the car on, the light is off, but once i drive over 10mph it comes back on. how did you come to the conclusion that the issue was the sensor? i want to see if my issue is actually the sensor or not.
Many years ago my ABS light would come on at that speed too, I looked into it and the ABS system does a self test at 10mph and if it detects an issue during that self test, it triggers the ABS light. Most likely is a sensor issue, I ended up deleting my ABS back then
Old 09-22-2023, 05:43 PM

Yeah I'm just concerned that my car has been off my insurance for long enough they may ask for a new inspection... not sure how they will feel about a abs car not having abs.

just recieved the bluebird sensors... they are so damn close but just rub on the tone wheel when installed...

I am going to try giving them a file down a couple mm to see if I can trick my car into accepting them. The connectors were the same but I had to swap the internal keyed piece

Old 09-24-2023, 10:54 AM

Okay so shengzen blue bird front sensors will work for the third gen maxima... but you must file down the lower abs bracket bolts about 50% of the head or find a low profile bolt.

you must also take a few passes with a file to reduce the height of the end so it doesnt clip the tone wheel.

You also must swap the sleeves for the connectors from your car to the new sensors. ( dont have to re pin just swap sleeves. )
here is the listing on ali express i bought For Nissan Fengshen Bluebird Brand New Front Left Right Wheel Speed ABS Sensor 47911-5E910 47910-5E910 479105E910 High Quality
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLL0xLy

I just finished both left and right ripped it up and down the block no abs light. Yippie!

Last edited by gp540; 09-24-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

sounds pretty good. hopefully there's something out there that can be used for the rears as well.

Do you have pictures of the end result, so I can cross reference my project?
Old 10-21-2023, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by robbo7200
sounds pretty good. hopefully there's something out there that can be used for the rears as well.

Do you have pictures of the end result, so I can cross reference my project?
next time I take off a front tire I will take a photo and put it in this thread for future search.

Im pretty sure ali express can be your friend on this too might take a few hours of looking around at things that look similar.
Old 10-21-2023, 11:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by gp540
next time I take off a front tire I will take a photo and put it in this thread for future search.

Im pretty sure ali express can be your friend on this too might take a few hours of looking around at things that look similar.
thank you, ive been doing some research but no luck so far. will follow up when/if i come across a result. That said, the ones you modified from Aliexpress, I'm gonna give a shot. Did you use them on a GXE or SE? as far as im aware, they had separate part numbers, although they may have been compatible. Just want to make sure so I can make em fit.
Old 11-16-2023, 11:19 PM

I used them on a SE... I don't think the part numbers for abs wheel speed sensors vary between gxe and se.

theres a few sensors that look like the right idea but I'll be honest i haven't checked measurements of a rear oem sensor... I'm also not about to pull out a working 30 y/o one out of my hub to find out sorry friend. but please document it here in this thread so in the future if we find one this thread can be a one stop for future abs problems with actual solutions.

these would be my best guess for rears. correct plug probably wrong sleeves just need to verify measurements
maybe these for rears?