3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sth is still wrong with my car. Headache

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002 | 08:13 AM

Sth is still wrong with my car. Headache

Dear All:

I have electric trouble with my Nissan Max'91 SE.
Two weeks ago, I washed my car and then drove it. At beginning, I did not
find anything was wrong. But then I found my car vibrated and some lights
on the dashboard came on. After I turn off engine, I could not start and
have to jump it. This seems to me that battery is bad. So I changed battery
in SAMs club (lifetime warraty), at the first 20~30M, the car is OK. But the
same problem appeard again (vibration, lights come on) then. So I drove to
SAMs again. They told me that battery is OK, but the alternator is bad. So I
changed the alternator on saturday. But the problem appeared again
yesterday. When I went back from Unversity to my home, I have to switch from
"D" to "P" and give gas before red light, otherwise it will die and need
jump.

Now I really do not know the real problem. Based on my description, do you
know the possible reasons?

Thanks,
Old 02-18-2002 | 08:49 AM

How about telling us which lights came on on the dash. That might help. Vibrations arn't caused by bad battery and/or alternator.
Did you put in Neutral in car wash? or park! Could be tranny.
Old 02-18-2002 | 09:46 AM

Thanks

Hi, Sharky:

Anti-lock light when I press brake. I put in park when I washed my car.

Could you tell me the meaning of tranny?

Thanks,

Originally posted by sharky
How about telling us which lights came on on the dash. That might help. Vibrations arn't caused by bad battery and/or alternator.
Did you put in Neutral in car wash? or park! Could be tranny.
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:08 AM

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Good Car
Hi, Sharky:

Anti-lock light when I press brake. I put in park when I washed my car.

Could you tell me the meaning of tranny?

Thanks,

He means transmission by tranny, do you get the same vibrations in nuetral? The rough idle could be many things, how long has it been since the car had a tune up? Start with plugs, wires, dist cap, and work on down to the various valves and sensors.
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:15 AM

I was assuming you went through an automatic car wash. The tranny is supposed to be in neutral in those. I guess you did a driveway wash then?
You may have warped rotor. Accounts for vibrations and brake lights.
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't think the brake system would detect warped rotors.... And even then you'd only feel them vibrating when you're braking. When are you feeling the vibration? I say check under the hood for any loose wiring, starting with the ignition as mentioned, but also for all the sensors too since if they give wonky (or no) readings they're also likely to cause strange problems and make the dash lights (like "Check Engine") come on.
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:41 AM

Re: Sth is still wrong with my car. Headache

Originally posted by Good Car
Dear All:

I have electric trouble with my Nissan Max'91 SE.
Two weeks ago, I washed my car and then drove it. At beginning, I did not
find anything was wrong. But then I found my car vibrated and some lights
on the dashboard came on. After I turn off engine, I could not start and
have to jump it. This seems to me that battery is bad. So I changed battery
in SAMs club (lifetime warraty), at the first 20~30M, the car is OK. But the
same problem appeard again (vibration, lights come on) then. So I drove to
SAMs again. They told me that battery is OK, but the alternator is bad. So I
changed the alternator on saturday. But the problem appeared again
yesterday. When I went back from Unversity to my home, I have to switch from
"D" to "P" and give gas before red light, otherwise it will die and need
jump.

Now I really do not know the real problem. Based on my description, do you
know the possible reasons?

Thanks,
Dude, check the ignition wires, some water may have gotten down in the hole where the spark plug is. You may have a puddle of water in there, and it's causing the ignition wires to short, pull the wire and
stick a paper towel to dry it up. This happen to my Altima a few years back, and it did screw up my alternator. You say you have vibrations, is it doing it when your idle? Water in the spark plug valley will, really bad shaking when idleing. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2002 | 10:59 AM

Vibration

Hi, Bman:

When I stop before red light the car vibrates.
By the way, why is it Ok for the first 20-30M after I changed battery and recharged it? And then it need jump. It seems that after the first 20-30M, voltage is not high enough to start car. Right?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Bman
I don't think the brake system would detect warped rotors.... And even then you'd only feel them vibrating when you're braking. When are you feeling the vibration? I say check under the hood for any loose wiring, starting with the ignition as mentioned, but also for all the sensors too since if they give wonky (or no) readings they're also likely to cause strange problems and make the dash lights (like "Check Engine") come on.
Old 02-18-2002 | 11:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hello Good Car,

I'm a 95 owner and don't really know 91's, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Did you wash your engine compartment? It sounds like others have suggested, that you have water either in your distributer (do 91's have them?) near your spark plug boots or somewhere else in your engine compartment. The fix? Dry it up! That should address what sounds like a rough idle. Now how this is related to your charging problems I'm not sure.

Wizeguy
Old 02-18-2002 | 11:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry I should have also been more specific. I don't think this is a brake problem since you're having electrical problems. Brake vibrations are felt mostly through the brake pedal while engine vibration is felt more through the steering wheel and seat. I'm guessing this "vibration" is actually the engine shaking as it's about to stall?

This is a weird problem since you've already changed the battery and alternator. Check the underhood wiring and connections. I think this might be a problem somewhere in between the alternator and battery, like the charging circuit. Getting ahold of a service manual will also help, if not for diagnosing it, it will at least help you find the parts to check.

Don't know why your ABS light comes on when you press the brakes though.

Anyone else?
Old 02-18-2002 | 12:07 PM

Thanks

Hi, Bman:

I think that you are right. It is engine vibration. I also think something between the alternator and battery is bad. But I do not know what is in there? Just charging circuit or anything else?

Do think it is possible for the Anti-lock light to come on (when I press brake) is because the voltage (current) is not high(large) enough?

Thanks again,

Originally posted by Bman
Sorry I should have also been more specific. I don't think this is a brake problem since you're having electrical problems. Brake vibrations are felt mostly through the brake pedal while engine vibration is felt more through the steering wheel and seat. I'm guessing this "vibration" is actually the engine shaking as it's about to stall?

This is a weird problem since you've already changed the battery and alternator. Check the underhood wiring and connections. I think this might be a problem somewhere in between the alternator and battery, like the charging circuit. Getting ahold of a service manual will also help, if not for diagnosing it, it will at least help you find the parts to check.

Don't know why your ABS light comes on when you press the brakes though.

Anyone else?
Old 02-18-2002 | 12:58 PM

Thanks.

Hi, Wizeguy:

I just washed my car from bottom by using water saver. I did not open my hood. Do you think it is also possible for water to damage sth?

By the way, I changed all brake pads about 4 weeks ago. Is the problem related to changing pads?

Originally posted by Wizeguy
Hello Good Car,

I'm a 95 owner and don't really know 91's, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Did you wash your engine compartment? It sounds like others have suggested, that you have water either in your distributer (do 91's have them?) near your spark plug boots or somewhere else in your engine compartment. The fix? Dry it up! That should address what sounds like a rough idle. Now how this is related to your charging problems I'm not sure.

Wizeguy
Old 02-18-2002 | 01:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In my novice opinion it sounds like you have (3) seperate problems.

Brake's/abs light - Something to do with the brake change. Perhaps low brake fluid?

Shaking rough idle. - Something to do with plug's cable's distributer (I'm not sure you have one). Possible water which is a quick check, pull each spark plug one at a time and dry off the top of the spark plug, if there's water there then that certainly would cause problems. If there's no water there I'd start with replacing plugs, cables, distributer. As for you washing it, it sounds fine the way you did it. Water can just get in places.

Charging problem - Whats in the charging system? Alternator, battery, and belt? Perhaps the belts slipping?

wizeguy
Old 02-18-2002 | 03:01 PM

Thanks

Hi, Wizeguy:

I am confused why the first and second problem always happen at the moment when I drove about 20-30M after I change battery or recharged it.

I guess if I recharg battery again, the car stll can drive 20-30M.

Originally posted by Wizeguy
In my novice opinion it sounds like you have (3) seperate problems.

Brake's/abs light - Something to do with the brake change. Perhaps low brake fluid?

Shaking rough idle. - Something to do with plug's cable's distributer (I'm not sure you have one). Possible water which is a quick check, pull each spark plug one at a time and dry off the top of the spark plug, if there's water there then that certainly would cause problems. If there's no water there I'd start with replacing plugs, cables, distributer. As for you washing it, it sounds fine the way you did it. Water can just get in places.

Charging problem - Whats in the charging system? Alternator, battery, and belt? Perhaps the belts slipping?

wizeguy