3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My car sucks.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 05:38 PM

My car sucks.

okay, granted I still love my max... it's gettin' to be just too much...

This weekend, some how my front pass. wheel fell off the car, finding that two of the studs for the wheels lugs had completely sheared off and my disc on that brake had slammed into my wheels and just completely gouged the ish out of it...

my front driver side suspension needs all new components other then the spring... the shock is blown, the bumpstop is gone... literally, and to top it all off....

My tranny is officially hosed... slipping through 3rd and 4th all the time...

The CAI looks like it was dipped in Oil since there is so much on/in it... I just got my Greddy Oil Catch Tank and that is going in once the CAI is out of the car and completely cleaned along with the K'N...

Sooo.... my question is this... after all that... what stops me from getting a 240sx? I need to know why my third gen is worth of keeping, cause I am about ready to part the ish out and call it a day...

help me guys... I love the max, but I hate the max right now.
Old 02-20-2002, 05:49 PM

Re: My car sucks.

Originally posted by dirksmoothe1

Sooo.... my question is this... after all that... what stops me from getting a 240sx? I need to know why my third gen is worth of keeping, cause I am about ready to part the ish out and call it a day...

Well unless you need a 4 door family car... I don't know why you don't just buy a 240SX. You would have more fun with the car. (RWD) And I'm sure it would out handle the Max...

So basically, I see no reason to keep the Max...
Old 02-20-2002, 06:00 PM

the 240 has more mods available, it might be slower at first but more go fast parts. Unless you just need 4 doors, i say get the 240 also.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:02 PM
I'm needing a caw

Dirky, well I know how you drive so that tranny had to give someday. For the studs, you can have them replaced. For the struts what do you expect on those intrax on stock struts? Thing is if you want even a moderate amount of cash for the maxima, you gotta fix it first.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:07 PM

Hey Jeff,

What's the problem with Intrax springs on stock struts? That's what I have.

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Dirky, well I know how you drive so that tranny had to give someday. For the studs, you can have them replaced. For the struts what do you expect on those intrax on stock struts? Thing is if you want even a moderate amount of cash for the maxima, you gotta fix it first.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:12 PM
I'm needing a caw

Intrax are one of the lowest springs available. So the shock tube is already down the clyinder 1.75" or so. Also they have a higher spring rate than stock. On Dirky's already high mileage oem shocks, IMHO he was asking for trouble. I bet the bump stop broke off and allowed the shock to bottom out. Thus the leakage. Maybe he hit something to break the studs too? Dunno.

Originally posted by sxwk12
Hey Jeff,

Old 02-20-2002, 06:17 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by sxwk12
Hey Jeff,

very bad idea IMO...for what jeff said...

plus since you have the spring dismounted off the strut to do the swap...you might as well just mount the new spring on a new strut so you don't have to do the whole job over and then some later on
Old 02-20-2002, 06:17 PM

I DON'T HAVE STOCK/OEM STRUTS!!!!!!!!!!

I have Tokico Blue HI Performance... you think I am really dumb don't ya Jeff?
Old 02-20-2002, 06:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

You really want me to answer that??

I wonder how the shock blew then?
Old 02-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

Dude, your car is ten years old

Only you can answer if you want a Max or any other car for that matter. Once we start modding and driving hard it's not going to last as long as it could. I'm about to drop $1500 in parts relatively soon, and the wife thinks I'm crazy for putting that much in a car. But when compared to 3-5 yr car notes (which belongs to a bank) or putting this money into "my" car it's a no brainer for me. Unless you're capable of paying for the car up front. This up coming expense doesn't include the rebuild tranny that's already in, which is why I decided to install Don's VB in hoping to expand the life of the tranny. The wife always compare the money we have put into my car when compared to her stock Civic. The most we have done to her car are cap/rotors/plugs/filters, front pads and 4 tires, hell it still has the original battery at 71K. Some where between now and 80K I figure I'll surprise her with the ususal 80K service, all belts (including timing) water pump, hoses, etc. maybe then we'll break the $300 for the parts. Anyway I'm going off the subject, we are all enthusiates so regardless of which car we are driving modding is in our hearts and once we start stressing that car it's going to break especially if it has more mods available than the previous car it's replacing. So in ending, if you really don't want the Max sell/trade it. And which ever car you end up with, enjoy it and have fun.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:56 PM

if you part out can i have your 5 spoke SE wheels?
Old 02-20-2002, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by Maximan190
if you part out can i have your 5 spoke SE wheels?
don't get too excited yet
Old 02-20-2002, 11:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hey Mikey, I have no idea what you said in your phone message. But Tokicos are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Check it out. The studs can be fixed easy and the marks in the wheels are in the inside so no problem. I didn't mean to sound like I was flaming man.

For the tranny, try having it flushed and see what happens. The fluid is probably all burnt up.

don't get too excited yet
Old 02-20-2002, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wish I could convince you to keep your Max, but that IS a lot of stuff to fix and replace.... Without being in your shoes I suppose you just have to ask yourself which car you'd rather have in the end, regardless of the dollar question. The sports sedan Maxima or the sports car 240? If you still like the Maxima better then you have to decide if you want to spend the time and money to fix it. You could alternatively just get another Max...
HTH
Old 02-21-2002, 05:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sports car = pig magnet (cop)
4 door family car = just the opposite.
With a little work and money you could make the max go fast. I also say this cause i'm not really a 4 cylinder fan, unless it's a motorcycle. Although, i do have to say the Nissan 4 cylinders are bad a$$. It's just that there family car with a v6 can keep up with a lot of stock "sports" cars. Also, if you haul yor friends around a lot you're going to get many complaints if you get the 240. With the max you have plenty of friend room.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:23 PM

If I were you, I would repair the car cause I can have all that fixed for under $700, also because I Can't afford another car right now.

If you have the money to buy a 240sx, damn man, don't even look back, do it. Make sure it's a 1991 and upwards 240sx, with the ka24de. There are turbo kits available for that engine. if you were looking to buy a newer 240, go with 95 and upwards their pistons were made stronger so they can handle more boost. In any case you can always do the sr20det swap. I want to buy one of the newer 240's..they just look so damn agressive with the body kits available, and they're capable of power too. On the s13 and s14 240's you can do the silvia front end conversion, which looks so damn sweet, along with a 180sx tail light conversion. The 240 is where the power is man. damn man get the 240!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 09:38 PM

Re: My car sucks.

okay, granted I still love my max... it's gettin' to be just too much...

This weekend, some how my front pass. wheel fell off the car, finding that two of the studs for the wheels lugs had completely sheared off and my disc on that brake had slammed into my wheels and just completely gouged the ish out of it...

my front driver side suspension needs all new components other then the spring... the shock is blown, the bumpstop is gone... literally, and to top it all off....

My tranny is officially hosed... slipping through 3rd and 4th all the time...

The CAI looks like it was dipped in Oil since there is so much on/in it... I just got my Greddy Oil Catch Tank and that is going in once the CAI is out of the car and completely cleaned along with the K'N...

Man...what are you still thinking.... 240 All the way, I wish i would of baught that instead of my max, but hey. After u get the 240SX do a SR20DET swap then S15 look and u wont want anything else..
Old 02-21-2002, 11:08 PM

ahh crap, jeff had to go and mention hitting something...gosh I hope that wasnt my fault.
I have no opinion either way..it depends on the year of the 240...those old ones u pointed out, I say nahh keep the max.
But I think the biggest issue right now is cost, whats going to be more economical in the long run.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:39 PM

I noticed your transmission was slipping a long time ago when you were showing off how fast your car was. So I am not surprised to hear that your trans. is giving... If I were you and you are into racing Maximas... try to flush out the trans and throw some fixit stuff from the auto store at it and sell it to someone who doesn't drive hard. The trans. may last longer in different hands, then go buy a 5sp. with lower miles. You've got a lot of miles on that car.
Old 02-21-2002, 11:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by mtcookson
It's just that there family car with a v6 can keep up with a lot of stock "sports" cars. Also, if you haul yor friends around a lot you're going to get many complaints if you get the 240. With the max you have plenty of friend room.
Both good points - two reasons why I got my Max first choice. My friends love riding in my car (except for the occasional complaint about the "stiff" stock susp. - wusses ). They're tall, so they'd be p***ed if they had to squeeze into the back of an Integra or something.

VE Maximas = Whoopin' azz in style
Old 02-22-2002, 12:35 AM

I have spent over $4k in mods and repairs (mostly repairs) since I got it . I will keep this car forever. I will patch rust, swap engines, whatever it takes. I may not always drive it every day, but it will be around. I can't afford it any other way. I couldn't even part it out in hopes of getting anything back on my investment, let alone try and sell/trade the thing! I am looking at getting a G20 soon and thinking about an SR20DET swap... but I will still keep the Max.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by nismo1989
I have spent over $4k in mods and repairs (mostly repairs) since I got it . I will keep this car forever. I will patch rust, swap engines, whatever it takes. I may not always drive it every day, but it will be around. I can't afford it any other way. I couldn't even part it out in hopes of getting anything back on my investment, let alone try and sell/trade the thing! I am looking at getting a G20 soon and thinking about an SR20DET swap... but I will still keep the Max.

I totally agree, I'll be keeping my Max forever too.