3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

brake noise!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 08:39 PM

brake noise!!!!

Ok my litlle brother went to the shop and chage the front pads of my max. its only cost like 25+labor. Those are cheap pads. when im driving like 65 and i brake a litlle or hard a big sound comes from the brakes BBBRRRRRURURRUUUUU!!!! i can fell a heard it from the entire car.
Its that cause the pads?
I should put a new set of stocks ones again?
Old 03-04-2002, 08:48 PM

get better pads, man.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:31 AM

Something along these lines...

I have a question that's similar to the one posted here, well two actually, but I think I know what one is...
1) My front driver side tire is squeaking. Almost like the brake pad has worn down, but I've taken my brakes apart several times, and they are almost brand new (Well, they were the last time I checked, for some strange reason, I haven't heard it all winter) I'm thinking it could be caused by the fact that I'm missing one of the studs that hold the tire on (Well, not MISSING, but the last tire shop I brought it to screwed it all up, it's about 1/2" too short and stripped totally) and that I have aluminum wheels... <shrug>

2) When I first start driving somewhere after the car has been sitting awhile, when I go to pull out of my driveway, and usually to the next light or two, it sounds my brakes make a growling noise. Once I've gone about a mile or two, it totally stops until the car totally cools down. And I'm not 100% positive, but I'm about 80% sure it doesn't do it if I warm the engine up before I start driving...

Any ideas/comments/flying objects aimed at my head?
And yes, I DID search, couldn't find anything that matched
Old 03-05-2002, 09:38 AM

Re: brake noise!!!!

Originally posted by catman316
Ok my litlle brother went to the shop and chage the front pads of my max. its only cost like 25+labor. Those are cheap pads. when im driving like 65 and i brake a litlle or hard a big sound comes from the brakes BBBRRRRRURURRUUUUU!!!! i can fell a heard it from the entire car.
Its that cause the pads?
I should put a new set of stocks ones again?
How long ago did he change them? Brake pad need to be broken in.(if I remember correctly)
Old 03-05-2002, 12:29 PM

Re: Something along these lines...

Originally posted by Taegost
I have a question that's similar to the one posted here, well two actually, but I think I know what one is...
1) My front driver side tire is squeaking. Almost like the brake pad has worn down, but I've taken my brakes apart several times, and they are almost brand new (Well, they were the last time I checked, for some strange reason, I haven't heard it all winter) I'm thinking it could be caused by the fact that I'm missing one of the studs that hold the tire on (Well, not MISSING, but the last tire shop I brought it to screwed it all up, it's about 1/2" too short and stripped totally) and that I have aluminum wheels... <shrug>

2) When I first start driving somewhere after the car has been sitting awhile, when I go to pull out of my driveway, and usually to the next light or two, it sounds my brakes make a growling noise. Once I've gone about a mile or two, it totally stops until the car totally cools down. And I'm not 100% positive, but I'm about 80% sure it doesn't do it if I warm the engine up before I start driving...

Any ideas/comments/flying objects aimed at my head?
And yes, I DID search, couldn't find anything that matched
What brand of rotors and pads do you use?
Old 03-05-2002, 05:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What kind of noise is "BBBRRRRRURURRUUUUU!!!!"??

Squealing noise is sometimes caused by not installing anti-squeal pads or anti-squeal compound (which is a silicone-like stuff) under the pad when changing them. Or if you don't wait for the compound to dry a bit first it becomes useless too. (Unless you mean it's squealing ALL the time, in which case it's something else.)

Not too sure what would cause grinding noises, but make sure the pads are installed right and seated properly. Maybe they're rubbing the inside (or outside edge) of the rotor?
Old 03-05-2002, 09:08 PM

Ok I will check.

BTW I use stock rotors and will buy OEM pads.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:31 AM

Re: Re: Something along these lines...

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE

What brand of rotors and pads do you use?
Dunno, I only changed the front brakes so far, and I got the mid-range ones from AutoZone.
As for the rears, I'm pretty sure they're stock, or close to it... I haven't changed them since I got the car, and I'm waiting for this fall to end and spring to begin before I tear them apart.
The squeaking in front started after I had new tires installed, which is when the stud broke.
And I noticed yesterday that my mothers' truck does the same thing with that grinding sound, I'm thinking it prolly only does it because it's cold...
I'm pretty sure it started when it was cold, I don't remember hearing it before this, uhh, fall started
I was thinking about it last night as I was laying in bed wondering just how I was going to change my heater core without having to pay out hundreds and hundreds of dollars