3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

cops and getting pulled over

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2002, 09:16 AM

cops and getting pulled over

ok..i live in massachusetts and i have these two blue neon lights in my break light on the spoiler about the size of a nickel each. the car came with em..and i know laws vary from state to state, but as usual, the cop was an ******* to me and threatened me with what are probably empty threats..well here's what happened:

i was in a mini mall type thing. i just came out of a store and there were some kids standing there..so i thought i'd just peel out a little. well the ground was wet so it wasn't hard to do at all. no this is 11:30 at night and there aren't any cars around really. so i take a right onto main st. my friend sitting next to me thought he saw a cruiser behind me. i look in my rearview and didn't see anything. i make it threw one set of lights and get stopped at another. i can see headlights at the first set of lights i made it through. i was pretty sure nothing would happen even if it was a cop. when the other light turned green i was still sitting at the red light and i could see it was a cruiser. now keep in mind this is aobut 3-4 mins after i peeled out in the parking lot. as soon as the light turns green..i see the flashing blue. so i pull over and go through the whole rutine. now this is my first time getting pulled over so i'm still kinda nervous about the whole thing. he asks me for my reg and license. cop: "that was a pretty stupid stunt you pulled back there." me: "sorry..i just popped the clutch." cop:"yeah right..i'm not stupid..you let it go..especially with the wet ground i drive 5 spds all the time." so i'm sitting there being all appologetic and stuff and just thinking "the only reason i coould peel out that bad is cause the ground is wet. then he goes "is this your dads car?" the car is in my dads name but its my car...so i jsut said yeah. cop: "well those blue lights you have in your tail light are a $500 fine each. your dad is gonna love a $1000 ticket and the insurance hike." i was just like..what the hell. so he ended up not giving me the ticket. i was just wondering if he actually really had anything on me or if what he said it true. it sounds like he was lying..but any input you have would be great..thanks in advance
Old 03-16-2002, 09:36 AM

Peeling out of a shopping area on wet ground would and should get you pulled over.
No matter what time it is, people are always there, on wet ground you could slip and hit someone.

It's illegal to have blue lights in the front of a car, in the rear you wouldn't get in trouble. The cop pulled you over because you gave him reason to think you were drunk or something, so he used that as a excuse to pull you over and see if the car is has any violations, if your license is not suspended or if your drunk. The reason he let you go is because you were clean and he had no reason to take any action against you. He tried to scare you into not doing it again.
Even if those lights were illegal, the fine is not $500. And insurance doesn't go up because of that, insurance goes up because of points on someone's licence or accidents.

The reason the police officer waited so long to pull you over is to see if you were going to break the speed limit, since you were willing to peel out, you fit the demographic of a person who drives fast.

Be careful out there man, Fines and points add up very quickly, especially if your father is paying insurance, if the insurance company finds out your driving the car, then his rates automatically go up. If you get points, regardless of if you're on his policy or not, his rates goes up because it's known that you drive his car.

Be careful.
Old 03-16-2002, 09:49 AM

Ya, you especially need to be careful up in Mass...
I drive thru Mass all the time, and the cops are real a$$holes... Especially if you're a minority.
But ya, take it easy out there, sometimes peeling out CAN and WILL get you in trouble, believe me, I know
And I would have no sympathy, either, coming out of a strip mall... Now, if you're on a deserted road, or aren't a lot of people around, that's a totally different story
As for the lights, as long as they're in back, I don't see how you can get in trouble unless they flash.
Old 03-16-2002, 10:37 AM

the thing is..when i was peeling out i wasn't on the street. the parking space i was in was a pull-threw so i just kinda popped the cluth there and spun the wheels a little. then i had to go about 15 more feet to get to the exit. once i was on the road i didn't peel out. i'm not saying that makes it any better, but there weren't any cars in the parking lot..or near me at all. i know what i did was a dumb thing to do and thats not that part i was questioning. i just wasn't sure about the blue lights on the back of my car on the breaklight. thanks for your info though.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:17 PM

Can't help it

9 times out of 10, youth = will get harassed by police.

Younger folks tend to do some fairly stupid things. Your interests change as you age. What you'll find is that all of a sudden, burning rubber, blue neon lights, and having a parent pay for a car all seem so... foreign.

In addition, with *some* age comes the realization that your actions have consequences. Trust me, in ten years, you will NOT hit the gas on your max knowing it has all that torque, especially if and when the ground is wet; And you'd be too worried about your insurance going up that you'd think twice about driving sometimes.

And the newness of having a car would have worn off.

Rule of thumb: be careful. Think thrice.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:52 PM

i used to constantly get harrassed by the police in my area. you can tell my car is modded and it had a few stickers on it at the time. i would get pulled over about once every other week. for stupid things. i would be going the speed limit and get pulled over. i gott pulled over once for the clear corners. another time for having a lincense plate cover. so i took that off. a few weeks later i got pulled over for having a license plate frame. never actually got tickets for any of those things, but it was real emarassing always getting pulled over and getting my car searched. i have gotten multiple speeding tickets i got pulled over for tho. since then i took off all the stickers, the plate frame and cover and anything else like that. i did leave the clear corners on tho. i havent gotten pulled over since. i know this sounds reallly crazy that i would get pulled over for such dumb things, but they saw a younger man(24) driving and a car that looked fast, and taken care of. they can find anything to pull someone over for if they are big enough *******s and look hard enough. o yeah, i never ever had a problem with cops when im driving in the city(pittsburgh or oakland), because these cops actually have real police things to take care of. i always had these problems in small towns and suburbs around were i live where the only thing the police have to do is eat donuts, harrass me, and chase little kids for being out past curfew.not that where i live doesnt have some serious problems, those are just over-looked tho, cus they take a little more effort.
Old 03-16-2002, 05:44 PM

Re: Can't help it

Originally posted by FrankBattle

Younger folks tend to do some fairly stupid things. Your interests change as you age. What you'll find is that all of a sudden, burning rubber, blue neon lights, and having a parent pay for a car all seem so... foreign.

In addition, with *some* age comes the realization that your actions have consequences. Trust me, in ten years, you will NOT hit the gas on your max knowing it has all that torque, especially if and when the ground is wet; And you'd be too worried about your insurance going up that you'd think twice about driving sometimes.

YEP! The first 4 months I had my licence I was in three accidents. Although two of them were not legaly my fault. Either way The cop was right to an extent. Just because they came with the car does not make them legal. And if he realy wanted to he probably could have gotten you for Exposistion of Acceleration
Old 03-16-2002, 10:07 PM

Re: Can't help it

Originally posted by FrankBattle

just out of curiousity..how old are you? 85?
Old 03-17-2002, 08:21 AM

Re: Re: Can't help it

Originally posted by jp91se

just out of curiousity..how old are you? 85?
Jeezus no. 83.

Save this post. Look at it in 10 years. It won't hurt so much then.

Cops still harass me, but never anymore for any moving violations. In the small town we live in, dwb is real. People (present company included) do not like to be challenged by the police, largely because of the way they've been portrayed on tv etc.

Funny thing is, if you are nice, they'll be nice. Throw in youth and all bets are off. They prey on kids whose parents bought them cars...