3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Recall Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 12:35 AM

Recall Update

Hi all. I posted some recall ????? a while ago and found out I had a fuel filler tube recall.
Took it to a local dealer and they said it was VERY BAD. They had to get a corporate rep down to check it out.
Over a month goes by and still the rep hasnt been to look at it.
On thursday I called the 800 number for Nissan to talk to someone about it.
All I was looking for was someone to tell me if the dealer was jerking me around or something, and possibly a FREE rental or something.
I explained the situation to him and he says he`ll get back to me the next day.
Today(Monday)I get a call back and he says the rust damage is so severe that it will cost them more to fix it than the cars worth.
Sounds like a damn insurance company.
Anyway they ask me all about the car ie. options and whatnot. It`s optioned out big time with the digital package, sonar suspension, leather, etc. etc.
The last thing he said was that it is ultimatly MY DECISION as to what they do to the car. How unlike an insurance company.
I could tell them to blow chunks and fix it, or they could give me book value on the car and total it.
I had them do a total inspectin on the car to tell me whats mechanicaly wrong with it and they said I`ll need over $3200 in repairs. They told me all kinds of crap was wrong with it, from the fuel injectors all the way down to the brakes being bad with some little **** in between.
Now I knew the injectors were bad, but I did the brakes myself only 3 months ago, front/back and master cylinder. Most dealers try and milk them most outta ya!
Anyway, to make a short story even longer, I`m torn between two lovers.
Take the money or fix the car. feels like the Price Is Right.
It all comes down to what they are willing to give me for it I suppose.
I only paid a grand for it, and I dont have much money into it yet, but aside from the rust its realy not that bad off.
The sonar susspension is tight as a drum, good brakes and tires, runs strong aside from the injectors being bad, timing belt and water pump changed twice, tranny still shifts good altho not as crisp as it once was.
I have done all the work on the car since my friend got it 5 years ago and when he couldnt drive anymore was more than happy to buy it from him because I knew it was a solid car(been telling him about the injectors for 2 years tho the cheap bastage).
WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO.
I`ll probably take the money `cause I`m a greedy little *****, but it will be a sad day fer sure.
Once I tell my friend about it he`ll be bitter cause he coulda done this himself. The only reason he had to sell it was he got a DUI and he coulda made more off of it this way.
In concusion, dont know if I`ll be around the org much or not, depends on what I do. Who knows I might buy another MAX for ****s and giggles, but I`m spoiled by my MAXED OUT MAX so if I cant find one like it I`ll find something else to play with(besides myself).

I`ll keep y`all updated cause I know you`re hanging on the edge over this thread. LATER
Old 03-19-2002, 09:11 AM
Getting back to his roots

Re: Recall Update

If I were you, I would take this opportunity to take the money and start searching for a 5-spd VE max. I currently have an auto VE, and every month I get this impulse to try and see if I can sell my car to get a 5-spd. Since this dealership seems to be treating you reasonably well, maybe they can help locate one for you at a reasonable price. My $0.02
Old 03-19-2002, 10:41 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same exact situation

This is funny, i am currently in the same situation. I have an 89 and its rust was so severe that they couldn't do the filler pipe recall. Like you, a Nissan representative investigated my car and to my surprise they decided to fix all the rust totally free of charge. Its gonna take another 2 weeks to complete (been there since mid Janurary but I am at school so I don't care). I am getting two brand new rear wheel wells, as well as anything else that is rusted and the filler pipe all replaced for free. The owner of the Nissan shop said it is going to be 68 hours of labor! So needless to say I am happy because I wouldn't have gotten all that much for my car if I totalled it.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:42 AM

i wish that happend to my car..

REcall??? what year is your max? se? what is the chance that my car has the same problem?
Old 03-19-2002, 11:38 AM

I have an 89GXE. Heres a link to the recall site- www.nhtsa.dot.gov . Check out all kinds of recalls on ****. I have a 67 Barracuda and there was a recall on that and it was never done(how ****ed would the dealer be on that one :-)). Its been restored so I dont need to get the work done, but its just kinda cool to know.
I think I`ll take the money and run. But I might have some parts for it too as I still have the digital dash that I just Had fixed and little odds and ends.
I was wondering if they would fix both sides because its pretty bad, I guess from water getting in the one side rusted out the other.
We`ll have to see what the dealer says.
But no the dealer is not being good to me at all. When I first took it up there, nobody wanted to help me, go here, no you need to go there, I dont know why they sent you here, you need to go back there.
Finaly service helped me, they did the all out inspection, said that`ll be 68 bucks, now take it to body shop cause we cant do the recall here, too much damage.
I called them once a week to see if anyone had been to look at it yet and it took me calling corporate for them to get off thier asses to do anything about it.
Yeah I would dig a stick, but as someone once said autos are for lazy people, and I can get pretty lazy sometimes .
All my other cars are manual so I figured I could sit back in the MAX, but the need for speed itchs everytime.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:01 PM
Schmoo

So did you take the car by any body shops? Perhaps if the estimates come in low enough, they might pay for the fixup? Or does it not work that way?

Old 03-19-2002, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Schmoo
So did you take the car by any body shops? Perhaps if the estimates come in low enough, they might pay for the fixup? Or does it not work that way?
I think because its a recall, it needs to be done at the dealer so they can write it off.
If it was a private shop they would have to pay actual money and its not going to be cheap either. Thats why they want to pay me off.
I might make them fix it just to be a **** .
Old 03-19-2002, 10:52 PM

I went to the local dealership about this and they told me they had no knowledge of there ever being a recall and that it didn't exist. I'm going to call corporate and YES I WILL be a d1ck and make them repair it...
Old 03-19-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by nismo1989
I went to the local dealership about this and they told me they had no knowledge of there ever being a recall and that it didn't exist. I'm going to call corporate and YES I WILL be a d1ck and make them repair it...
YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!!!!
Hell yes dude. The dealer always wants your money, but when it comes to fessin up and making it right they want to fukk around.
I would call corporate about this and let them know how your dealer is treating you, bet they`d like to hear about it. 1-800-647-7261
Old 03-20-2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by bucketheadd

YOU GO BOY!!!!!!!!!!
Hell yes dude. The dealer always wants your money, but when it comes to fessin up and making it right they want to fukk around.
I would call corporate about this and let them know how your dealer is treating you, bet they`d like to hear about it. 1-800-647-7261
So far I've spent twice the car's $$ worth on mods and repairs so I would be an idiot to let them total it. It's my baby and I will keep it alive for a very long time, whatever it takes. At this point, it's protecting my investment, ya know?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:04 AM

So far I've spent twice the car's $$ worth on mods and repairs so I would be an idiot to let them total it. It's my baby and I will keep it alive for a very long time, whatever it takes. At this point, it's protecting my investment, ya know?
I feel your pain there, fortunatly I just started doing repairs before mods so not alot of money into it.
I was ready to do it up right, tho I can probably find a better starter MAX for the same or even less money than what I paid for this one. Something where the body isnt bad on it, just some dings and such.
Living in Ohio, theres not alot without some rust, but I`m sure they`re out there.
Mechanicaly, I could care less what shape its in as I`ll do a total rebuild anyways.
But I dig the digital chit, and that sonar suspension was nice too, so thats gonna be a factor if I buy another
Old 03-20-2002, 01:14 AM

I don't think I've ever driven one with the Sonar Suspension. That's the automatic ride leveler isn't it?
Old 03-20-2002, 01:33 AM

I don't think I've ever driven one with the Sonar Suspension. That's the automatic ride leveler isn't it?
YEAH MAN, its pretty nice.
I can roll it on comfort and just glide, or put it on power and get alittle busy.
It works with the way you drive, first when you`re just cruzin its in sleep mode, but when you zip around abit or eccelerate hard, it stiffens up the suspension and you can realy feel the road.
Old 03-20-2002, 02:22 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Hey BucketHead...

I wonder if they would give you the option of paying you for your car, but you get to keep if for a certain amount, say $500. So, you get (what?) $2,700 and get to keep the car (albeit with a "salvaged" title or whatnot). I had a guy total my '87 Max in an accident, I had the same offer to keep the car for $500. Could had parted it out then crush it. But, at least this way you have a car to drive untill you find something else with the help of the $2,700 you'd get. Start of a nice down payment for a new Altima!
Old 03-20-2002, 06:42 PM

I was thinking that too, they could write the recall as done, and sell it back to me.
Id drive it till it died, or use it as a parts car, if I got another MAX.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:45 PM

The same happened to my Toyota Pick-Em-Up. A guy rearended me and they gave me the option of 3500 ar 3100 and the truck.
Still rolling in the truck. Only paid 2400 for it, I`ll take a profit any day.
Old 03-20-2002, 06:57 PM

How long is the recall good for if it hadn't been done? I just got my '89 a few months ago, but I wonder if they'd still honor the recall?
Old 03-20-2002, 07:06 PM

No time limit or mileage limit. As long as it wasnt done already.
Call the 800# and find out.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:01 PM

so you're saying I can take my Max to the Nissan dealership and for free they'll check to see if my car has this problem and if it does they'll have to pay for it? No matter if I wasn't the original owner and everything?
Old 03-20-2002, 10:04 PM

Originally posted by iuillustrious
so you're saying I can take my Max to the Nissan dealership and for free they'll check to see if my car has this problem and if it does they'll have to pay for it? No matter if I wasn't the original owner and everything?
Thats right Just call this number 1-800-647-7261, its Nissan corporate #. You give them your vin and they`ll tell you if you have any open recalls or not. If you do, then take it to the dealer (easier that way).