3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

tranny dying? please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2002, 08:39 AM

tranny dying? please help

first off I just wanna let you guys know that I searched and read a lot of threads about trannies, but still didn't find answers to my questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1) My car is 90 GXE, auto. the problem is my tranny shifts hard into second year. This hard shifting problem has been with me since I bought the car. It doesn't seem to progressively get worse (maybe I don't feel it). I switched the AT mode switch from comfort to power and auto and never noticed any difference. So now I just have it in auto mode. Could it mean something not working right?

2) After I put in Mobil 1 ATF the hard shifting problem is still there. Does Redline make it better?

3) I know it's strongly recommended that I have a tranny cooler. I haven't put it in because the car seems shifting better when hot. Please explain it to me if a tranny cooler would help in my case.

4) what reputable place where I should have the tranny checked out?
------------------------------------------------------------------

I really appreciate all your inputs.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:11 PM
Jedi Knight

Re: tranny dying? please help

Originally posted by maximan
first off I just wanna let you guys know that I searched and read a lot of threads about trannies, but still didn't find answers to my questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
1) My car is 90 GXE, auto. the problem is my tranny shifts hard into second year. This hard shifting problem has been with me since I bought the car. It doesn't seem to progressively get worse (maybe I don't feel it). I switched the AT mode switch from comfort to power and auto and never noticed any difference. So now I just have it in auto mode. Could it mean something not working right?

2) After I put in Mobil 1 ATF the hard shifting problem is still there. Does Redline make it better?

3) I know it's strongly recommended that I have a tranny cooler. I haven't put it in because the car seems shifting better when hot. Please explain it to me if a tranny cooler would help in my case.

4) what reputable place where I should have the tranny checked out?
------------------------------------------------------------------

I really appreciate all your inputs.

ANswers....
1)...check to see if the resistor under the hood near the driver wheel well is still plugged in. if not plug it in.

2) I don't believe that ATF is your problem...I had mobil 1 in my car and still experienced problems....so check #1 first.

3) I just had my tranny rebuilt and I'm putting in a trans cooler as soon as possible, but no it won't help with your shifting right now....I think that your trans is getting to that stage...it might still last you another year, who knows....but once it starts slipping I would take the car to someone you trust...or you could do it before the car dies on ya!....might be a cheaper rebuild...

THE PROBLEM might be that your trans pump died not an uncommon things in maxes....and if they are going to replace it, you might as well have the darn thing rebuilt.

HOpe that helps
Old 03-27-2002, 12:27 PM

Re: tranny dying? please help

I had a tranny problem too. It you have to give gas for a while and the tranny shifts with a jurk, your tranny is, most probably, dying. I suggest not to do any old change in your old tranny. Because, in my experience, it does more bad than good (unless your tranny flud is too dirty).
I just spend $1,800 to rebuild the tranny. Now the car is smoother and I can feel the power. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:39 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

one question how is the shifting from 2-3 and 3-4?? if the "jolt" is occuring from the 1-2 sometimes it could be a busted motor mount(only $40)...check that out and run the diagnostic, it should tell you if the resistor is bad or unplugged!
Old 04-09-2002, 06:57 AM

Thanks, Suya for replying.

nupe500 or anyone can help me locate the resistor responsible for AT mode switch? I couldn't not find it. The Chilton manual is no help. Thanks

DA-MAX, the jerking only happens when going from 1 to 2. Could you explain a little more of what you said? thanks
Old 04-09-2002, 11:21 AM
Jedi Knight

Thanks, Suya for replying.

nupe500 or anyone can help me locate the resistor responsible for AT mode switch? I couldn't not find it. The Chilton manual is no help. Thanks

DA-MAX, the jerking only happens when going from 1 to 2. Could you explain a little more of what you said? thanks

Look by the drivers side wheel well...you should see a little 2" metal casing that has wires hooked to it...that is the resistor. hope that helps
Old 04-09-2002, 03:01 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

basically when you accelrate the engine rises and falls as you shift...with a broken front mount you will feel a jerk as the engine jumps(higher than normal) with the 1-2 shift, it'll be a "thud" just as the shift occurs. the retaining bolt on my engine mount broke several years back and I had a rough 1-2 shift, I thought it was my tranny at first too, but turned out the bolt in the mount had snapped...took it to the shop and had it fixed!
Old 04-09-2002, 04:51 PM

Thanks a lot, nupe500 and DA-MAX. Thinking about taking it to tranny shop this weekend, but I dont know what place is good.
Old 04-09-2002, 05:05 PM

My tranny has been shifting hard for awhile. I changed engine mounts and ATF. After reading this thread I took a look around for the resistor and I found a small metal box with Jecs on it with a wire that has kind of a fork looking conecter at the end. Only thing I have no ideal if this is the same resistor..if it is where does it plug into?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2002, 05:20 AM
Jedi Knight

Originally posted by Maxirasta
My tranny has been shifting hard for awhile. I changed engine mounts and ATF. After reading this thread I took a look around for the resistor and I found a small metal box with Jecs on it with a wire that has kind of a fork looking conecter at the end. Only thing I have no ideal if this is the same resistor..if it is where does it plug into?

Thanks
That my friend is the resistor, there should be a little harness there with matching gray plugs that plug into each other! good luck