3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Ghetto Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 06:49 PM

Ghetto Paint Job

I decided to remove my ugly pin stripes last weekend, and everything was going good until I got to the right rear passenger door. I discovered that whoever had last painted that door, painted over the old pin stripe, and put fresh pin stripe on top! Oh man it looks like sh*t! There is a big pin-striped shape indention running across the whole door, and you can see some of the old pin stripe still. The rest of the car looks so much better without the stripes, but I couldn't believe that rear door. I've never seen something like that before. Anyway, I've already got a quote to repair and paint that door along with another door that kinda needs to be repainted. Thought ya'll might get a kick out of that.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:40 PM

Re: Ghetto Paint Job

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE
I decided to remove my ugly pin stripes last weekend, and everything was going good until I got to the right rear passenger door. I discovered that whoever had last painted that door, painted over the old pin stripe, and put fresh pin stripe on top! Oh man it looks like sh*t! There is a big pin-striped shape indention running across the whole door, and you can see some of the old pin stripe still. The rest of the car looks so much better without the stripes, but I couldn't believe that rear door. I've never seen something like that before. Anyway, I've already got a quote to repair and paint that door along with another door that kinda needs to be repainted. Thought ya'll might get a kick out of that.
Hey just as a curiousity, did those pin strip come standard with all gxe or did someone actually have to pay for add that option in? I was just wondering cuz my car also have them pin stripes and they are just plain ugly.
Old 03-27-2002, 07:52 PM

Re: Ghetto Paint Job

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE
i feel your pain. i had vandalism done to my car. i had to have the hood and entire roof replaced . anyways so they didnt have to repaint the entire car the painted everything fresh down to the pinstripe, so that you couldnt see a difference between the new paint and older paint. its weird, but with that pinstripe there the paint did look all the same shade. i didnt know this and i thought the pinstripe looked ugly too. so, i when i tried to remove them it was really dificult cus i guess some clear coat got sprayed over them or something. now i have a little indentation where they were like you did. plus in certain areas you can see the difference between where the new paint meets the old paint. do you know if this can be fixed without a complete repaint? how much is it costing you to get done? mine is around the entire car pretty much. it still looks better with them off. when i see pinstripes i think of an old mans buick or something
Old 03-28-2002, 06:18 AM

It was probably the buyer preference as to whether they wanted pin stripes on their new maxima, but I'm sure many had aftermarket stripes put on too.

Bull - check with local professional detailers to see what they can do for you. I spoke to one before I got the quote for the paint job, and he told me he could blend the paint, but wouldn't be able to do anything with indention. If it's a slight indention on your car, I bet a professinal buff job would make it look a lot better.

I'm paying $750 to have two doors repaired and painted, the top of my bumper painted, touch up many spots over the entire car, fix my spolier (I don't think it was ever installed correctly), and a professional detail to the whole paint job. I could get it for $550 w/o the detail, but my paint could use a good detail. And I know this guy does good work.
Old 03-28-2002, 08:02 AM
STFU n00b!

$200 to buff and wax the rest of the car?

damn.. for that price, the detailer better be a hot chick and do it naked while you're watching... a BJ might not be out of the question for that price too. sheesh!

(they'll wash, buff/polish, wax, and completely detail the inside your car for $40 here).
Old 03-28-2002, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
$200 to buff and wax the rest of the car?

damn.. for that price, the detailer better be a hot chick and do it naked while you're watching... a BJ might not be out of the question for that price too. sheesh!

(they'll wash, buff/polish, wax, and completely detail the inside your car for $40 here).
Yes - $200 because it's a body shop and you're paying a premium price for their labor. Whoever is charging $40 to detail an entire car including interior, buff and all that are losing money. You figure all that work would take approx 4 hours, that's $10/hour. $10 an hour to detail a car?

I too can know someone who can do a buff job for $40, but I believe you will get a better quality job if you pay a little more and go to a reputable shop, like Ziebart or some sh*t.
Old 03-28-2002, 03:30 PM

that is ghetto, but green maxes are tight
Old 03-29-2002, 04:42 PM
JD

$40????

That's CHEAP!!! So where is it that I need to pass through on vacation?