3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Random VE Power story of the day

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 12:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Random VE Power story of the day

No... this is not a "kill story" but I was driving around today and I came to a choice of which route to take to my destination. One way was winding and kinda bumpy, but it went up this hill very gently and gradually. The other way actually went downwards a bit and then straight up the hill, but was a faster route of course. In the past, with the various old 4-banger cars I'd driven with quarter mile times measured in ice-ages, I'd always gone the winding way to keep the car from turning into a paperweight.

Today I remembered I had the Maxima on my side, so it was time to finally conquer the hill. I took the turnoff and waited at the advance green at the base of the hill. The glory of this story is not that the Maxima made it up some impossibly steep hill, but of what transpired. I am a poor judge of such things, but this is a pretty ugly hill - easily 20% grade or more, as suburban streets can get. So I'm second in line behind this Eagle Premier in the right lane as the light turns green. He makes a slow start off the line with me following close behind. I shift into 2nd, hoping he'll speed up a bit. A short while later though I see cars quickly starting to fly past in the left lane. I quick check of the speedo said he wasn't going more than (does math in head) about 25-30mph. I got fed up and looked for a gap to merge into. Still in 2nd gear doing about 3000rpm, I signal and step on the gas to match speeds with the left lane. Here's the thing: Even though I'm going up this steep hill I still see the tach CHARGING towards the 6-grand mark and I'm getting pinned in my seat - and I'm not even flooring it! The engine sings it's sweet sweet mechanical symphony of horsepower as I'm hurried past the slower vehicle. As I make a crisp shift up to 3rd and settle into my lane I realize there's this strange sensation on my face... What's that? Oh, it's just a big smile.

VE POWER!
Old 03-28-2002, 04:28 AM

Re: Random VE Power story of the day

Originally posted by Bman
No... this is not a "kill story" but I was driving around today and I came to a choice of which route to take to my destination. One way was winding and kinda bumpy, but it went up this hill very gently and gradually. The other way actually went downwards a bit and then straight up the hill, but was a faster route of course. In the past, with the various old 4-banger cars I'd driven with quarter mile times measured in ice-ages, I'd always gone the winding way to keep the car from turning into a paperweight.

Today I remembered I had the Maxima on my side, so it was time to finally conquer the hill. I took the turnoff and waited at the advance green at the base of the hill. The glory of this story is not that the Maxima made it up some impossibly steep hill, but of what transpired. I am a poor judge of such things, but this is a pretty ugly hill - easily 20% grade or more, as suburban streets can get. So I'm second in line behind this Eagle Premier in the right lane as the light turns green. He makes a slow start off the line with me following close behind. I shift into 2nd, hoping he'll speed up a bit. A short while later though I see cars quickly starting to fly past in the left lane. I quick check of the speedo said he wasn't going more than (does math in head) about 25-30mph. I got fed up and looked for a gap to merge into. Still in 2nd gear doing about 3000rpm, I signal and step on the gas to match speeds with the left lane. Here's the thing: Even though I'm going up this steep hill I still see the tach CHARGING towards the 6-grand mark and I'm getting pinned in my seat - and I'm not even flooring it! The engine sings it's sweet sweet mechanical symphony of horsepower as I'm hurried past the slower vehicle. As I make a crisp shift up to 3rd and settle into my lane I realize there's this strange sensation on my face... What's that? Oh, it's just a big smile.

VE POWER!
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
Old 03-28-2002, 05:21 AM

That was beutiful Bman! You should be a poet! I often have this sensational feeling.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

I remmeber one time

I was in my gxe right before I got it tuned up and I was on a hill at a light and there was a 18 wheeler behind me and the light turned green and my automatic started to roll back when I hit the gas and I was going so slow the 18 wheelre passed me and gave me a dirty look. needless to say I no longer have this problem. VEP
Old 03-28-2002, 07:14 AM

well, I remember this one time in band camp..................
Old 03-28-2002, 07:19 AM

band camp

hey now..there's nothing wrong with band camp. i've had to go to band camp for four years now. (no..not like the one in american pie). actually..for it's worth, it was fun! and yes...i am a band geek.
Old 03-28-2002, 07:22 AM

lol...everyone, lets give this band geek a round of applause!!! *clap* *clap* *clap* j/k
Old 03-28-2002, 07:24 AM

So the ignition timing advancement solved your hesitation problems too eh? My engine is probably making more power now at 124K than it did when it was stock and set a bit BELOW factory spec!

VE power!
Old 03-28-2002, 09:17 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

yeah

Originally posted by RosenKen
So the ignition timing advancement solved your hesitation problems too eh? My engine is probably making more power now at 124K than it did when it was stock and set a bit BELOW factory spec!

VE power!
it was bad I mean once the car warmed up it wouldnt move from a stop. it was running real rich too, but we did the distributor, sparks and spark wires and he played with the timing, after I got it back it had more power then when I first bought it, Im gonna have him do mine as soon as my spark plugs from courtesy come in. that was on my vg