3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I need help on Addco RSB install

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 11:35 PM

I need help on Addco RSB install

I got an Addco RSB for my 92se and it didn't come with any instructions. I heard that the install was pretty straight forward so I decided to try it. Man, was that a mistake. I really, really, really need some pics to help me. I searched also and couldn't find any good pics. I got some of it done but had to stop before threw the bar in the garbage from frustration. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-29-2002, 01:00 AM

more clerification

After going back and looking again I see that the main problem I have is with the exact order of the bushings,bar,and the little L shaped bracket.Does the bar line up under the bracket or over? Also, I had the car under load but the bar still didn't line up with the L shaped piece. It was close but not enough. Maybe if someone sits in the car I can try it again. Oh well, guess I have to wait till the morn'.
Old 03-29-2002, 02:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You mean the bar doesn't just replace the stock bar like it claims?

You sure you don't have a 4th Gen bar by accident?

Maybe Jeff could help - he's got the Addco. If I were to guess I'd say the bar goes under any brackets (hangs down) since that's the way a lot of stuff goes. I've got a vague pic of someone's ST sway setup and I DO see some kind of bracket at the end where the original endlink was and the bushing and bar hang down from it...
Old 03-30-2002, 12:46 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: more clerification

Originally posted by CruzinMax
After going back and looking again I see that the main problem I have is with the exact order of the bushings,bar,and the little L shaped bracket.Does the bar line up under the bracket or over? Also, I had the car under load but the bar still didn't line up with the L shaped piece. It was close but not enough. Maybe if someone sits in the car I can try it again. Oh well, guess I have to wait till the morn'.
And even when you get it right, they'll be another problem. The rear suspension moves in when there is no load on the tires (i.e. the car is off the ground). Therefore, the bar will appear to be too long. What you really need is a lift that supports the wheels. I had to get 2 extra jacks, and actually jack up the strut to simulate weight on each side, to make them move back out far enough to get the bar on. Then I had enough room to make it up hand-tight, then I put the tires back on and finished tightening it on the ground

The "dirt" that you see is waterproof grease, which will stop the squeaking that you will hear as the bushing rub together when you hit bumps.

Also, you WILL break the stock endlink mounting brackets. It happens to everyone who uses this bar. What you have to do is call ADDCO, tell them that they broke, and they will send you 2 pieces of angle iron with holes (similar to the one's in the bushing assembly). That you will have to have welded to the frame to replace the stock ones.

I have pictures email me for them.
Old 03-30-2002, 01:22 PM

Yay! I found this kicking around my file directories as a text file:

1. have the car rear wheels on ramps or on the flat on the ground ("wheels are with load"). edge of an inclined driveway will help you with some clearance underneath. chock the wheels to be safe!

2. remove the big bolts on the ends of the OEM rsb. put the washers on the side. you will reuse them with the addco bolts.

3. remove the 2 "u" clamp rsb supports from the hangers. I think you reuse the bolts and nuts with the addco u clamps.

4. attach an "L" bracket to where OEM rsb ends were attached. put the bolt with the OEM washer on the outside through the short side of the L bracket. position the bottom of the L on the bottom. ok. that sounded silly. torque the bolt to 50-60 ft lbs.

repeat for the opposite side

5. line up the addco rsb and OEM rsb together. position the addco rsb U clamp bushings where the OEM bushings are. you might want to slather some silicone grease on before you put the bushings on.

6. now the fun part. get something to support the rsb under the car when you try to position it. bucket, block of wood, another person. whatever.

7. take note. the rsb is mounted above the L bracket. I put the 4" bolt in through the top. next is the sequence of the washers and bushings from top to bottom:

washer
bushing
RSB
bushing
washer
washer
bushing
L bracket
bushing
washer

take note of which ends of the bushings are flat. those go next to the washers.

8. put the locknut on. tighten til the bushings are slightly deformed. actually, I just tightened til there were about 6 threads showing from the bottom.

repeat for the opposite side.

9. now put the U clamps around the bushings on the rsb and attach to the hanger rods. try to position the rod straight. not angled to the addco rsb. not 90 degrees since that is not possible. what I mean is looking from the rear of the car, just make sure the rod is straight with the rsb. hope that makes sense. torque to 15-20 ft lbs.

repeat for the other side.

that is it.
Hopefully this makes sense since I don't have an Addco yet. Before putting on the bar I plan on getting a shop to weld 1 or 2 (if I can fit 2) heavy washers around the holes for that bracket Blackandwhite mentioned to keep them from tearing out BEFORE it happens. The weakest part is usually the bottoms of those brackets and they just rip out. Also make sure the links for those brackets hang STRAIGHT up and down so there's no sideways motion on them when they gotta move or the links can break too!

hth
Old 03-30-2002, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys. The weird thing that I had to do was after the first try when I had the car on ramps and took the oem bar off I couldn't get the thing on at all. So I drove the car off the ramps and down the driveway so that my car could squat a little more without any bar on at all. Then I drove the car back on the ramps and it fit just right. After I got done I drove it and wondered how I ever drove my car without one.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:18 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Addco Pictures

Look...

The stock endlink brackets will break on you. If you email me, I will reply with pictures of what it looks like when it breaks, as well as what it looks like with the new mounts welded on.

I am right in the middle of regreasing the bushings (you should do this every 6 months or

I would post them, but I don't know how now that I can't attach it directly.

my email is arrow@augustmail.com
Old 05-03-2002, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by Bman
You mean the bar doesn't just replace the stock bar like it claims?

You sure you don't have a 4th Gen bar by accident?
Maybe Jeff could help - he's got the Addco. If I were to guess I'd say the bar goes under any brackets (hangs down) since that's the way a lot of stuff goes. I've got a vague pic of someone's ST sway setup and I DO see some kind of bracket at the end where the original endlink was and the bushing and bar hang down from it...
I just got my Addco Sway bar in today. It doesnt look like the stock bar. But its a lot heavier than I ever thought it would be.

BlackandWhite, YGM!
Old 05-03-2002, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by DaBoxSE

I just got my Addco Sway bar in today. It doesnt look like the stock bar. But its a lot heavier than I ever thought it would be.
Yeah, I got mine a few weeks ago. Mine's the anodized finish though. I also see it looks like you also got urethane midsection bushings and rubber endlink bushings? Also, where's your endlink bolts and the rest of the bushings?

BTW, yes it IS freaking heavy!
Old 05-03-2002, 06:59 PM

Yeah, I got mine a few weeks ago. Mine's the anodized finish though. I also see it looks like you also got urethane midsection bushings and rubber endlink bushings? Also, where's your endlink bolts and the rest of the bushings?

BTW, yes it IS freaking heavy!
Umm, with the exception of one long bolt, what you see is what I got. Is there supposed to be more??? I had a feeling I missing some stuff.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:23 AM

Umm, with the exception of one long bolt, what you see is what I got. Is there supposed to be more??? I had a feeling I missing some stuff.
Uh oh..... It looks like you're missing one whole endlink assembly.

You should have 2 of these:

1 x 4.5" long bolt
1 x locknut for bolt (has plastic ring inside to lock it in)
4 x "cupped"(?) washers
4 x rubber or urethane bushings

The above are all the parts for the endlinks that anchor the very ends. Mine came all bolted together (all parts for it are on it). Looks like you got everything else but are missing one endlink.

I guess you didn't get an "included parts" list either? Go back to where you got it and tell them you're missing an endlink.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:35 AM

Uh oh..... It looks like you're missing one whole endlink assembly.

You should have 2 of these:

1 x 4.5" long bolt
1 x locknut for bolt (has plastic ring inside to lock it in)
4 x "cupped"(?) washers
4 x rubber or urethane bushings

The above are all the parts for the endlinks that anchor the very ends. Mine came all bolted together (all parts for it are on it). Looks like you got everything else but are missing one endlink.

I guess you didn't get an "included parts" list either? Go back to where you got it and tell them you're missing an endlink.
All of those items came on the the long bolt, but there was only one. I ordered the bar from Custommaxima.com/Cattman. I called Cattman on Saturday and left a message about the missing parts, but its hard to get someone to call you back from one of these parts companies. I will call them again. It looks kinda like Addco just forgot to put them in. I really want to install this soon, so hopefully they will rush me the parts. You think I should have them send me the stronger mounting brackets also? How much are they? I want to make sure this comes out right this time.
Old 05-06-2002, 05:05 PM

All of those items came on the the long bolt, but there was only one. I ordered the bar from Custommaxima.com/Cattman. I called Cattman on Saturday and left a message about the missing parts, but its hard to get someone to call you back from one of these parts companies. I will call them again. It looks kinda like Addco just forgot to put them in. I really want to install this soon, so hopefully they will rush me the parts. You think I should have them send me the stronger mounting brackets also? How much are they? I want to make sure this comes out right this time.
Last I heard, they'll send you the brackets free. Might want to call Addco about the endlink too and try to get them to send them together. Cattman/CustomMaxima is just a middleman so I'm pretty sure IF they did anything they'd have to contact Addco too.

Good luck!
Old 05-06-2002, 09:52 PM

Last I heard, they'll send you the brackets free. Might want to call Addco about the endlink too and try to get them to send them together. Cattman/CustomMaxima is just a middleman so I'm pretty sure IF they did anything they'd have to contact Addco too.

Good luck!
Thanks, I did get a call back from Cattman. They gave me Addco's number, and I called them right after. I spoke with a Customer service rep and I told him what I was missing and I also told him about the mounting brackets. He said he had never heard of the breaking mounts, but I explained it to him and he is going to send me the missing parts as well as another pair of brackets. So hopefully in the next few days, I'll have all the necessary parts to install the RSB this weekend. I cant wait! Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:53 AM
To them I'm like an idol

Thanks, I did get a call back from Cattman. They gave me Addco's number, and I called them right after. I spoke with a Customer service rep and I told him what I was missing and I also told him about the mounting brackets. He said he had never heard of the breaking mounts, but I explained it to him and he is going to send me the missing parts as well as another pair of brackets. So hopefully in the next few days, I'll have all the necessary parts to install the RSB this weekend. I cant wait! Thanks again.

They said it was common when I called. But I think that the guy that used to do the Technical support left the company. But basically all you need is 2 more pieces of angle iron that look like the brackets that they already gave you
Old 05-07-2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by blackandwhite

.... But basically all you need is 2 more pieces of angle iron that look like the brackets that they already gave you
Are the holes the right size on those pieces?
Old 05-07-2002, 01:11 PM
To them I'm like an idol

No...

But you can bore them out just enough so that the endlink fits through.