3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Does the S/T rear Sway bar go on the max axcactly like the stock one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2002, 02:10 PM

Does the S/T rear Sway bar go on the max axcactly like the stock one?

I am having trouble mounting it because I can,t see where to? or how
Old 03-29-2002, 08:39 PM

Nope. Nothing like it. You use two plates that get bolted onto the strut. Seems quite strong and an excellent design. One problem though. I just broke the stock bracket that is welded to the frame....it's one of the "hangers" for the bar. You use the stock pieces there except for the rubber is replaced with urethane(?) from the kit. I wanted to weld a metal piece on it, but ended up just using a couple big washers and torqued it really good. That held through some tough driving today. It broke the other day from the hard U-turns I sometimes make. Guess I will take them a little lighter from now on. I don't think it's S/Ts fault. I think it would have happened with any of the kits if they use the stock brakets. Maybe should take it to a shop and get them to beef up the brakets. I'll see if it happens again.

Gene
Old 03-29-2002, 09:18 PM

OK I did go out side and figure it oue but it was getting dark and the bolt at the bottom of the strut were not budging. So tommorrow I will get some WD40 and take pics and do a write up. I also think the front sway was easy and does make a differance
Old 03-30-2002, 01:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

See my reply to CruzinMax's post about his Addco RSB. I imagine they'd be similar in concept if not outright identical, but I'm not 100% sure since those instructions are for an Addco.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:37 PM
STFU n00b!

Get that sway bar figured out?

there's a few pics on my website if you need them..
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...car/sway_bars/
Old 03-31-2002, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Get that sway bar figured out?

there's a few pics on my website if you need them..
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pic...car/sway_bars/
http://www.ee.utulsa.edu/~mblehm/pics/old_max/car/sway_bars/rsb_mount_1.jpg Do I take that mount down (not use it with new anti-sway) and connect the new sway bar directly to the undercarraige. Also how much did you torque the front sway bars on. I might have the mechanic put RSB on because the screws connected to the bottom of the strut won't budge. I put 160psi on the impact wrench and it just broke the socket adapter
Old 03-31-2002, 07:17 PM
STFU n00b!

those bolts on the rear strut were a PIA to break loose, but I did them with regular hand tools and some penetrating fluid...

just spray them with liquid wrench or something and let them soak for an hour or so before you start tweaking on them.

(FYI, don't even think of using 3/8" drive tools on those. 1/2" minimum. If you don't have any, this is a good reason to spend $35 on a good set of 1/2" drive metric impact sockets.).

The rsb_mount_1.jpg pic showed where it ripped the eye hole out of the mount on the frame.. this is a very common problem with any aftermarket sway bar. (addco and ST bars both tear these loose).

best way to keep this from happening is to make sure the bushings on the sway bar are bolted on while they are as close to directly below the brackets as possible (left-to-right wise. the ST bar sits a little bit back from them, so they'll tilt back..) pivoting front/back on them is no problem, as they'll twise around the bar. twisting left/right with them will snap them into pieces though... thus that's the reason it's important to get them on straight- so they're not stressed when you're driving down the road.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
those bolts on the rear strut were a PIA to break loose, but I did them with regular hand tools and some penetrating fluid...

just spray them with liquid wrench or something and let them soak for an hour or so before you start tweaking on them.

(FYI, don't even think of using 3/8" drive tools on those. 1/2" minimum. If you don't have any, this is a good reason to spend $35 on a good set of 1/2" drive metric impact sockets.).

The rsb_mount_1.jpg pic showed where it ripped the eye hole out of the mount on the frame.. this is a very common problem with any aftermarket sway bar. (addco and ST bars both tear these loose).

best way to keep this from happening is to make sure the bushings on the sway bar are bolted on while they are as close to directly below the brackets as possible (left-to-right wise. the ST bar sits a little bit back from them, so they'll tilt back..) pivoting front/back on them is no problem, as they'll twise around the bar. twisting left/right with them will snap them into pieces though... thus that's the reason it's important to get them on straight- so they're not stressed when you're driving down the road.
Now would it be worth anything to get new brackets and bracket bushing?
Old 03-31-2002, 07:39 PM
STFU n00b!

the new bushings (red ones in the pic) come in the ST sway bar kit. they're the best ones available..

the end links won't do much good to replace, as the stock ones can be easily (and cheaply) re-welded when ever they break. takes about 45 minutes to remove, weld, and replace.

I DO recommend reinforcing the eye holes though. what I did was take a piece of angle iron and cut it to fit inside the OEM bracket, then drill a hole to mount the endlink.. attach it to the frame through welding it or self-drilling/tapping screws, and you're done and shouldn't have to worry about that part again.