3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

VG Turbo Idea Group Deal

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

VG Turbo Idea Group Deal

i was goin through the recent SCC mag and i seen a 240sx with the stock KA24DE engine turbocharged...what caught me is at the time there was no bolt on turbo kit for that engine,so the guy and a few others from www.240sx.org went through a shop and had a very simple non intercooled turbo kit whipped up,now today i test drove a 1996 eclipse GST and was thinkin about gettin it,but it hit me,its not that i want that car,i just want a turbo,much rather have it in my maxima but its quite a long shot,im down to owing $300 on my maxima so im almost done payin it off so that opens up some money to put into my max..so now what i was thinkin was we can get a few devoted VG guys together(5 or so) and possibly lookin into having a simple turbo kit devised,this is just a rough idea,really havent put much thought into it,but i think its an idea definitely worth considering,what i am thinkin is startin off as a small turbo non intercooled,and the kit could be modified to the owners specific likings(intercoolers/BOV...etc..)see ive seen quotes on here up to $5000 for a custom kit,but producing a few kits could be much more cost efficiant,i know theres a lot of R&D that would have to go into this,but id rather see other peoples interest before i even waste my time researching and consulting machine and high performance shops,any question..my aim is tsi9282 or email tsi9282@aol.com
Old 03-30-2002, 07:34 PM

Re: VG Turbo Idea Group Deal

more than likely this is not happenening, but who knows... noone thought that theyed be making carbon fiber hoods for us and davids getting them made. it just takes someone that really wants to get this done and it will happen. i would be up for it if you were serious about it and got someone that was deffinitly going to do it for us. im about to graduate in a month and ill be bringin in some money, so ill have much to put into the max.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:41 PM

it would take a good amount of research just to understand how it would work on a fwd V6,im tryin to see if there are any transverse single turbo V6s in production,seeing how that works is a good startin point,if i can get a good amount of interest i will get deep into the research...as we speak im skimmin through the search,but i am serious about this
Old 03-30-2002, 08:44 PM

im probably wrong on this so feel free to correct me,i seen what czar said in the "boost: looking toward the future" thread and thought about that and came up with a pretty nice diagram,keep in mind in not 100% sure about how a turbo even works but i know some,i was thinkin that stock intake,exhaust manifolds and possibly Ypipe could be retained,Heres my theory"correct me if im wrong"cut the Ypipe right after the rear manifold meets the ypipe(possibly have it loop over for velocity) and have a flange made at that cut for a turbo,the intake piping can be ran back up to the stock filter location where the mas is and the other side can be ran across the bottom on the other side to the inlet of a front mounted intercooler,and the oulet side can be ran back to the throttle body,i noticed in my diagram,that is a lot of air travel which would probably present serious turbo lag,im just gettin goin on this but its a start/maybe not too good,maybe not too bad,any feedback?
Old 03-30-2002, 09:04 PM

ok,i know for sure a transverse V6 is turbo-able,theres a VW club around here and i know a few of them have turbo VR6's..i believe hahn racecraft(i see the stickers and FMIC's all over them).. i think if its a single turbo kit,it can help us a great deal(or HRC)develope one for ours,ill contact them on monday
Old 03-30-2002, 11:42 PM

Read this first http://www.se-r.net/car_info/project...en/index.html. I believe a VG kit would cost about the same to replicate as these custom SR20DE turbo conversions. Notice on the parts list includes bigger injectors/reprogrammed ECU. These are considered absolutely neccessary for turbo duty on a SR20.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:42 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

what about the the manifolds?? Z31t manifolds are plentiful, but people are gonna be iffy about buying "used" stuff.....used, mine were only $60 a piece, but having new ones fab'd will probably be around $800-1k especially since they won't be in high demand!
Old 03-31-2002, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by Rancid90SE
it would take a good amount of research just to understand how it would work on a fwd V6,im tryin to see if there are any transverse single turbo V6s in production,seeing how that works is a good startin point,if i can get a good amount of interest i will get deep into the research...as we speak im skimmin through the search,but i am serious about this

if you want a turbo kit.. buy a honda

turboing the vg is do-able, i dont see why it being FWD would make it not turbo-able. Pop the hood and take a look around there is a lot of room for the turbo, it would mount right behind the radiator near the crossmember.

and there is already things u could do, that would make it simpler.. like do your research, and you will find that z31 turbo manifolds and turbo can be used on your vg, that can serve as a basic "Kit", after that fabricate your own bov wastegate, oil lines and such
Old 03-31-2002, 05:45 AM

im talkin about a 5 to 6 psi system,not so much for the power,just for the turbo maxima idea,thats why i wasnt thinkin about injectors or so much even a fuel pump,maybe a twin turbo stock fuel pump,but im interested in if this idea would even work,i know someone who made a non turbo RX7 turbo for around $600,i know wed have to pay more than this,but someone said run the turbo off the front manifold,i was thinkin run it off of both in the back after the Y before the catand then make clearance/reliabilty changes
Old 03-31-2002, 07:03 AM

Ummmmmmm i am hearding turbo this, turbo that, but what about the vg internals? I thought if you are gonna turbo your engine, you're most likely gonna have to strengthen your internals as well. If you don't, then my guess is you're gonna end up like them 4th gen with their engine blowing up on them after a couple months of use. And if you're gonna have to strengthen your internals then that there is another can of worms. So when you think of price wise, we're talking about the turbo kit, manifold, internals, installation, fuel system, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh let's just say too much money for my blood. And if that is the case then i seriously wouldn't want to spend all that money on my 12 years old car. But hey if you don't argee with what i have just said then that's cool, cuz i am still pretty new to this turbo business.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:38 AM

thats a big myth,forced induction doesnt require reinforced internals,unless of course you plan on running high amounts of boost(or nitrous) i said roughly 6 psi,and intercooled would bring the air temperature going into the engine down significantly,causing less stress on the motor,if i planned on running 10 psi,then it would be a good idea to lower the compression.i posted this thinking there would be some legitimet interest in a fairly simple turbo kit that could cheaply be reproduced,guess i was wrong
Old 03-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

but someone said run the turbo off the front manifold,i was thinkin run it off of both in the back after the Y before the catand then make clearance/reliabilty changes
you're making more trouble for yourself....the Z31 manifold uses a crossover pipe system in which the turbo is mounted on the front manifold but recieves exhaust gas from all 6 cylinders....seriously do more research, it seems you're making things much more difficult than they are!
Old 03-31-2002, 10:37 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

6 psi,and intercooled would bring the air temperature
you'd also lose HP, by intercooling a 6psi charge....it lower the charge to around 5-5.5 psi at 20+mph, its not really necessary to have an IC when under 8-10 PSI, efficiency is only at about 30%, in other words its not doing too much good.....
Old 03-31-2002, 10:42 AM

ehhh guess your right,why try to make a slow car quick,VG engine wasnt made to have any *****,made more so for practical use
its like modding an Auto
Old 03-31-2002, 10:48 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

uhhhh, who said that....the VG is the most prctical Maxima to turbo.... 9:1 compression, forged rods and crank, iron bock, z31t "interchangability", turbo cams.....don't get discouraged, you just need to know what you're dealing with...I garuntee you do more research and come back alking some more reasonable facts and you'll realize what people are telling you.

ehhh guess your right,why try to make a slow car quick,VG engine wasnt made to have any *****,made more so for practical use
its like modding an Auto
Old 03-31-2002, 10:54 AM

ohhh i guess thats why theres a lot to research...alot of people to talk about to do the conversion,because theyve successfully done it,face it...theres no REAL desire to do this by anyone on here,and with the parts the car would be what...slow as a Z31t?? pretty slow anyway,so no point in even risking ruining my car,better off selling it and gettin a turbocharged car to begin with
Old 03-31-2002, 11:04 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

theres no REAL desire to do this by anyone on here
yeah I guess thats why this is just lying around in my house....yeah...thats me...no desire to turbo my VG....whatsoever

if you want it turbo'd, you'll do it, if you get discouraged so easily than forget about it.....

and for people who say just buy a turbo car, let 'em say that....just cause they don't have the desire, knowledge, time, patience or money to get this done than so be it!
Old 03-31-2002, 11:10 AM

You're overthinking this. Thats all..
Old 03-31-2002, 12:16 PM

Don't get so discouraged... If you wont it done do it. Don't listen to the people that say its not worth it bla bla bla.. The max can be a fast car maby not as fast as some cars but it still can be a fast car just work at it... The fun of customizing cars is making your car how you wont it and learning about things and maby doing things that other people wont to discourage you from doing just because they are dont have the patience to do it them self's..

I am going to turbo my mas some time and try to make it as fast as I can.. I'm don't know the most yet but I'm learning..
Just keep trying.. There is a lot of help on here and the other 3rd gen board if you just read it and let the people help you.....

Well I'm done blabing.....
Old 03-31-2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX

yeah I guess thats why this is just lying around in my house....yeah...thats me...no desire to turbo my VG....whatsoever

if you want it turbo'd, you'll do it, if you get discouraged so easily than forget about it.....

and for people who say just buy a turbo car, let 'em say that....just cause they don't have the desire, knowledge, time, patience or money to get this done than so be it!
im only telling him to buy a factory turbo car, because its obvious that he hasnt taken the time to do his homework, and doesnt have enought knowlegde to turbo his max.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

yeah I know, I'm only speaking in general...since I hear that comment so much!

Originally posted by mykizism
im only telling him to buy a factory turbo car, because its obvious that he hasnt taken the time to do his homework, and doesnt have enought knowlegde to turbo his max.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:20 PM

just go buy some z31 manifolds like da-max said, get a custom downpipe made(bout 75 bux), piping from turbo to TB(very short, shouldnt be much) z31 injectors, z31 fuel pump, z31 ecu(not sure if it would work?) and take it to a shop to run the oil lines, and you got yourself a turbo VG.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:23 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

you missed so many other factors its not even funny!

Originally posted by Dummy
just go buy some z31 manifolds like da-max said, get a custom downpipe made(bout 75 bux), piping from turbo to TB(very short, shouldnt be much) z31 injectors, z31 fuel pump, z31 ecu(not sure if it would work?) and take it to a shop to run the oil lines, and you got yourself a turbo VG.
Old 03-31-2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by DA-MAX
you missed so many other factors its not even funny!

and a turbo......? im not an expert, obviously.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by Dummy
z31 injectors, z31 fuel pump, z31 ecu(not sure if it would work?)
Z31 injectors/ecu are totally incompatiable with 3rd gens. With the stock T3 the Z31's injectors/fuel pump are maxed out at 15psi. Not to mention they are a totally different style.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:34 PM

its like modding an Auto
Look at what 10-12 years of technology has done. Back in 1985-1991 the VG maxima was a great car. It had lots of ***** back then cars weren't as fast stock as they are today. Matter of fact the fastest honda (just for comparisions sake) was a prelude SI with 2.0 130hp. It wasn't any faster than a 3rd gen VG 5spd. I bet I could make an auto fast. I know I could get a VG auto to run 15.5-15.9s all day long. BTW that is without nitrous .
Old 03-31-2002, 05:21 PM

Dont Get Discouraged

turboing a VG isn't really that incredibly hard.... dont let people tell you what you can't do. The "buy a car that already has a Turbo" statement is dumb, because then it wouldn't be a Maxima. You should just take it to a shop, and see what they say you need to run low boost, about 6PSI w/no intercooler, get a quote from them, come here, see how much interest you get then talk to the shop about a group deal. And if you can get a group deal, that is decently priced, Im sure people will come along.

Unless you have a specific question, I wouldn't bring it up here, people seem to think that its not a good idea. If somebody can put twin Engines in a Hyundai, then you can definatley turbo a VG. I wonder what people told him,

"Dont do that, just buy a car that already has two engines in it..."
Old 03-31-2002, 05:31 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Dont Get Discouraged

Originally posted by maximatic
turboing a VG isn't really that incredibly hard.... dont let people tell you what you can't do. The "buy a car that already has a Turbo" statement is dumb, because then it wouldn't be a Maxima. You should just take it to a shop, and see what they say you need to run low boost, about 6PSI w/no intercooler, get a quote from them, come here, see how much interest you get then talk to the shop about a group deal. And if you can get a group deal, that is decently priced, Im sure people will come along.

Unless you have a specific question, I wouldn't bring it up here, people seem to think that its not a good idea. If somebody can put twin Engines in a Hyundai, then you can definatley turbo a VG. I wonder what people told him,

"Dont do that, just buy a car that already has two engines in it..."
the reason people here say to just buy a car that's already turbo'd is because there are too many fools around here that think they can run 20psi by simply bolting on a turbo, intercooler, and boost controller.. since there's sooo much else involved that nobody even tried to understand, it's recommended not to mess with a turbo, simply to keep themselves from self-destructing their cars.

the people that realy want to have turbos will do it, and they'll run correctly. the ones that simply want them because they think it's cool or will have more power to outrun Honduhs will end up blowing their engines. that's a quick generalization, but there are just too many idiots around here to go around handing sticks of dynamite to everyone and telling them not to blow something up.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

Z31 injectors/ecu are totally incompatiable with 3rd gens. With the stock T3 the Z31's injectors/fuel pump are maxed out at 15psi. Not to mention they are a totally different style.
how are the z31 injectors and ecu totally incompatable?? they are the exact same engines minus the T at the end of the z31 code VG30ET=z31 VG30E=maxima...
Old 03-31-2002, 07:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by mtcookson
how are the z31 injectors and ecu totally incompatable?? they are the exact same engines minus the T at the end of the z31 code VG30ET=z31 VG30E=maxima...

the engine differ more than the code...for one the z31-t engine runs 7.5:1 compression, two, the ECU is mostlikely programmed with totally different ignition and fuel maps, and theres probably more...just by adding a turbo onto your Max engine doesn't mean you have an instant and identical VG30E-T

and if you hang around or take a look on the z31 boards you'll find that those who have swapped a turbo onto the N/a blocks, CANNOT swap ECUs....its not that easy!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:04 PM

yeah, but wouldn't it be good to run the z31's ecu maps when turboing the max engine?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:06 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

yeah, but wouldn't it be good to run the z31's ecu maps when turboing the max engine?
yes, but now you have Z31 ECU fuel maps, etc. and the rest of your car doesn't work cause you have the z31 ECU.....
Old 03-31-2002, 08:11 PM

ok, i get it. it won't really matter for me though because i just want to swap the z31 engine. that will be easier than trying to find a kit from the looks of it.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:15 PM
STFU n00b!

you still have to fab up the entire intake and exhaust, just as you would if you were doing a custom install on your stock engine.. and you still have to get the ECU to work on boost.

you'd be best off just buying Z31T manifolds and turbo, bolting it on, then having a shop build the intake and exhaust tubing for you, then let JWT worry about the ECU. get some bigger injectors and tell them what kind you've got. they'll make the ECU work with the injectors you've got.
that's pretty much it. the rest is tuning.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:20 PM

you think $3000 to $3500 would be enough for this? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2002, 08:22 PM

you think $3000 to $3500 would be enough for this? Thanks.
yes
Old 03-31-2002, 08:24 PM

well also, my engine has 133000 miles on it, which really isn't too bad but...
Old 03-31-2002, 08:26 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

ok, i get it. it won't really matter for me though because i just want to swap the z31 engine. that will be easier than trying to find a kit from the looks of it.
not too sure about that being easier or cheaper...you'll be able to boost higher because of the VG-T compression, but it'll cost you more to swap the entire engine, the labor/$$$ for "re"-wiring on top of the actual swap is gonna kill you!!!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:33 PM

so are you saying it's not a very good DIY job?
Old 03-31-2002, 09:04 PM
STFU n00b!

Duhhhhhhhhhh.. yeah.. it's a DIY job.. easier than bleeding my brakes. Lemme go pick one up at the junkyard and I'll have it swapped over by dinnertime.

Dude, if you think this is a DIY job, you need to stick your head in a plastic bag, rubberband it around your neck, and go for a run around the block.

Quick Reply: VG Turbo Idea Group Deal