3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

not vtc..not lifters...???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 04:48 PM

not vtc..not lifters...???

i've had a ticking sound for a while but i can't figure out what it is... it doesn't have any of the symptoms of a bad vtc or lifters where at start-up would make that ticking sound for a couple of minutes. my car is actually the opposite. it'll start up nice and quiet, but the ticking starts when i've warmed the car up, parked it for a couple of hours (on a warm day), then start it up again. i tried grounding the vtc while it was ticking and changed to synthetic (mobile 1 10-30w. should i use a lighter weight oil?). still ticks. it's not loud. you could barely hear it in the car. any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciate. peace.

wsp y-pipe, custom upper tube, and asp udp on the way!!!!!!!!!.... gonna be a busy weekend (and a mad gf)
Old 04-01-2002, 04:51 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: not vtc..not lifters...???

maybe exhaust studs??

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy
i've had a ticking sound for a while but i can't figure out what it is... it doesn't have any of the symptoms of a bad vtc or lifters where at start-up would make that ticking sound for a couple of minutes. my car is actually the opposite. it'll start up nice and quiet, but the ticking starts when i've warmed the car up, parked it for a couple of hours (on a warm day), then start it up again. i tried grounding the vtc while it was ticking and changed to synthetic (mobile 1 10-30w. should i use a lighter weight oil?). still ticks. it's not loud. you could barely hear it in the car. any suggestions/advice are greatly appreciate. peace.

wsp y-pipe, custom upper tube, and asp udp on the way!!!!!!!!!.... gonna be a busy weekend (and a mad gf)
Old 04-01-2002, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: not vtc..not lifters...???

exhaust manifold, or studs
Old 04-02-2002, 06:14 AM

hate to say it

sound like vtc-s to me. that is when mine are most likely to click. exhaust studs usually click at cold start and then stop when the metal heats up.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:01 AM

Fuel injectors make a quiet ticking noise while in operation. You could just be hearing that. Does the sound all but disappear with the hood closed? You can definitely hear VTC's with the hood closed, while inside the car (at idle).
Old 04-02-2002, 09:06 AM

you can hear it from in the car when hood is closed...

Originally posted by RosenKen
Fuel injectors make a quiet ticking noise while in operation. You could just be hearing that. Does the sound all but disappear with the hood closed? You can definitely hear VTC's with the hood closed, while inside the car (at idle).
thanks for all the suggestions so far.

you can barely hear it when the hood is closed while sitting in the car. sometimes it's louder than usual but goes away after starting up the warm engine.