3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

94 MAX SE - Bose Stereo Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2000, 11:19 AM
Gatorone

My bose stereo has really been acting up lately. The stereo (both radio and cass.) will just stop playing or not play at all and will kick back in randomly. The power is on and the antenna connection is fine but the unit just refuses to play. I sometimes hear a click near the front driver's side speaker and the unit will start playing. This speaker blew recently and I replaced it with a used one hoping that the problem was linked to it, but no changes even after the replacement. Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue or if anyone knows of any good stereo repair shops in the Broward/Dade/Palm Beach area in FL.

Thanks in advance for all your help ...

Old 11-24-2000, 01:16 PM
Z

I have the same problem

What mine will do is they will pop real loud when i turn it on and then it will make real high frequency noises as it goes and the front pasenger one just does not work period. I dont think it is the Speakers. I think it is the stock amps that are bad. Each speaker has a 50 watt amp built onto it and i think that they go bad over time. I put a new head unit in thinking that would change it but it did not help and i am just going to have to live with it. This probably did not answer your problem but that is all i know sorry.
Z
Old 11-24-2000, 02:09 PM
MSK

RE Bose

What you guys have is what many maxima owners already went through. Both you guys have bad head units. This is common with Clarion made system. Unfortunately, there is no cheap fix. You can check my post for past couple of days in response to someone else's similar problem. I explained in detail there. You can either ditch the system or get ir repaired. The junk yard speakers or head unit will do the same so don't buy them from there. Look for a stereo repair shop in your town and ask if they can do it. The problem is fixable cost about $80-$100 on the headunit alone. there are shops on the internet that specializes in such repairs. All what is wrong with the head unit is loose sauders which cause excessive heat buildup. Certain circut boards were not very well made.

Keep us posted with what you do

MSK 90SE

Old 11-24-2000, 02:18 PM

ditch the bose system. it sucks and whatever you do it fix it something else will break. and youll have to buy adaptors and ****. so i would say buy a new hu and new speakers you can do all this for under 400 if you buy your stuff on auctions on the net.
Old 11-26-2000, 09:44 AM
Z

The head unit is fine

I thought the same thing until i got my new Pioneer Head unit. it still pops and has all of the same problems as when i had the BOSE head unit in.
Old 11-26-2000, 01:59 PM
MSK

Bose speakers

Are you hooking up the Pioneer hu with the bose speaker. Each bose speaker has its own amplifier, and it will only work with the bose head unit. You will ruin your new hu. The bose speakers are only 1 ohm. You have to disconnect the amplifier on each of the speaker before you hook the new headuit up unless you have an adaptor hooked up. Poping sound: Looks like your amps are dying.

MSK 90SE

Old 11-26-2000, 02:03 PM
Z

Do you know how to disconect the amps

I have an adapter in but i might just want to go and disconect the amps anyways. Do you know how to disconect them from each speaker?
Old 11-26-2000, 03:14 PM
Foo90SE

You have to do more than bypass the amp...

I went thru this a few months ago...got a pioneer head unit and thought i could just bypass the amps...kept wondering why the headunit display would dim and it would shut off sometimes and pop sometimes..turns out there is no way to use the bose speakers with a aftermarket head unit. I hooked them to a external amp and they played fine but the amp got nice and hot. You basically have to get new speakers if your amps are going..just do away with the bose stuff and get some headunit-friendly 4 ohm speakers

Old 11-26-2000, 04:35 PM

foo is right, i did the same thing, you cant just bypass you have to bypass and get new speakers, the bose are 1ohm thats why they wont work.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:35 AM

EZ & cheap fix

The problem you have may have an easy fix. IF you hear the clicking near the left front speaker, AND the system plays fine when it does play, do the following.

The clicking you hear is the Bose amp relay "cycling". The steering signal for the relay comes from the head unit where it is driven by a small transistor. This one apparently can work loose, hence the intermittent problem. I had the same problem, but I believe I caused it myself by having the Bose head unit switch on too much current.

The Fix: Take of the little panel. It has a screw and a clip You will see three relays, but two are one bracket. They are all blue. The one of two, deepest into the cavity (closest to the outside fender panel) is the bose relay. You can confirm by pulling it out. If the radio is silent and the car still runs you got the right one. The other is the ignition relay, so if you pull it, the car won't run.

Find the G/W wire, it is the steering signal coming from the head unit. Cut it and solder on a new wire. Connect this wire anywhere you can find a powerpoint on the ACC circuit.

What you do this way is always have the Bose amps on when the car runs (small penalty to pay). Radio will switch on and off as normal.

Don't wire the relay into the antenna switch as many aftermarket units tell you to because the Bose retracts the antenna on tape and CD play.

These descriptions are for a '93 SE, your model may be different.

Good luck,

John