3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Windshield wipers ar broken but motor still works how do you fix them???

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 09:38 PM
KeithLHawkins

Windshield wipers ar broken but motor still works how do you fix them???

well it was an Ice storm and I started my car and the wipers were on from the other day but they were frozen to the windsheild and next thing I know they were not working, I can here the motor turning but how do I fix this problem??

Old 04-08-2002, 10:39 PM

It's probably the same thing that happened to me. The motor still runs but the wipers don't make any movement. The problem with mine, was that the arm that connects the motor and the wiper together was broken. The hole that fit over the middle section had worn out. I got a new one at the Nissan dealership.
Old 04-08-2002, 10:46 PM
STFU n00b!

you'll have to pull of the black cowl piece under the wipers and find out which piece is broken.. usually the connecting rod just pops off the socket at the wiper motor, but can sometimes be other places.

as the other guy said, just buy the parts at a deal- they're not too much, and if you go to a junkyard for them, you'll pay almost as much as the new price for a 10 yr old part that may last a day, may last a week, etc...
Old 04-09-2002, 12:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

See my post in the "wiper squeak" thread lower in the page. That tells you how to get in that area to fix this.

It sounds like the linkage connecting the motor to the middle pivot (which runs both wipers) came off, either at the middle balljoint, or the balljoint attached to the wiper motor. It's probably the linkage that is worn out since the part that pops onto the joint is made of plastic.

You can either replace it, or if you think the force needed to pop it off was a lot, try to just pop it back in and treat it gently from then on. I only say this because the linkage connecting to the wiper motor is an absolute PITA to change and I pray NEVER to have to do this job again. I didn't have a choice though since they were clearly worn and popped off easy.

Through some fancy maneuvering I managed to remove the wiper motor, separate the old linkage from the wiper motor, then unbolted the short arm (with the balljoint on it) from the motor and reattached that to the new linkage first (linkage behind the firewall, short arm sticking out of the hole) before bolting the short arm back on the motor. The trickiest part was twisting and rotating the motor in various ways to get it in/out.
Old 04-09-2002, 06:54 AM

Re: Windshield wipers ar broken but motor still works how do you fix them???

Could be a simple fix.
Check the wiper bolt.
Mine felt tight to the hand but a wrench tightened it up and my wiper was fine.
Old 04-09-2002, 07:55 AM

wipers

Yeah most defintely your linkage, and most definitely no fun to replace, you might get lucky and it just popped off. But probably you will be fighting to fit your arm in that nice compartment, and then spend an hour or two figuring out how to get enough leverage to get the new joint together. BOL
Old 04-09-2002, 08:27 AM

PITA is right. I learned the hard way too
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=WIPERS
Old 04-09-2002, 05:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by DaBoxSE
PITA is right. I learned the hard way too
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=WIPERS
Ouch, I remember that now. Took me forever too, but I finally figured it out by taking off the wiper motor. What did you eventually do?

DEATH TO THE WIPER LINKAGE DESIGNER!
Old 04-09-2002, 09:34 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by Bman

He's probably the same idiot that designed the window regulators..
Old 04-09-2002, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by Bman
Ouch, I remember that now. Took me forever too, but I finally figured it out by taking off the wiper motor. What did you eventually do?

I tried again and I just couldnt get the leverage. I was wondering if I had to take the motor off, but I didnt get a reply on my last post, so I just tried it again the same way. I got it on finally and it lasted a week. Then they popped off again. So i gave up and called my mechanic. He took the motor off and reattached the linkage that way and Its worked since.

I had to have him do it by then because it was the last day for me to get my inspection done. They are all good now and I think that designer should be smacked for his horrible designs with the linkage, window regulators and all of the insta-rust bolts the car was put together with...(ie exhaust manifold studs)