3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

NGK Spark plug heats

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 06:28 PM

NGK Spark plug heats

I've always thought all spark plugs where hotter with a higher number. Seems that NGK does the exact opposite, with 2 being hot and 11 being cold. I went to DAP the other day and the guy there showed me that in a book. I was pretty sure Courtesy has it listed the other way around on their web site. I checked and they do. They say a 4 is a cold plug. Looking at NGK's partnumberkey, it does indeed say that a 4 would actually be hot. I guess we need to let Courtesy know. Has anyone tried one of the colder plugs? The reason I'm asking is that I think mine is running a bit hot. For those of you that run VE's, what do your plugs look like when you pull them? The ground strap on mine are white. I guess I would especially like to hear from those down south,....or somewhere at sealevel and high temps. I'm wondering if maybe it's my injectors clogging.

And for anyone running coppers,.....what's your favorite plugs? I've seen Autolite mentioned before. Anyone got opinions on these? Thanks.

Gene
Old 04-09-2002, 08:05 PM

theres a brand called like spitfire or something like that. i use along with my msd ignition kit, and works very well. My friend also uses spits in his jetta and they fire pretty good.
Old 04-09-2002, 09:30 PM

Re: NGK Spark plug heats

Originally posted by rcrdps
I've always thought all spark plugs where hotter with a higher number. Seems that NGK does the exact opposite, with 2 being hot and 11 being cold. I went to DAP the other day and the guy there showed me that in a book. I was pretty sure Courtesy has it listed the other way around on their web site. I checked and they do. They say a 4 is a cold plug. Looking at NGK's partnumberkey, it does indeed say that a 4 would actually be hot. I guess we need to let Courtesy know. Has anyone tried one of the colder plugs? The reason I'm asking is that I think mine is running a bit hot. For those of you that run VE's, what do your plugs look like when you pull them? The ground strap on mine are white. I guess I would especially like to hear from those down south,....or somewhere at sealevel and high temps. I'm wondering if maybe it's my injectors clogging.

And for anyone running coppers,.....what's your favorite plugs? I've seen Autolite mentioned before. Anyone got opinions on these? Thanks.

Gene
yah courtesy's website is reversed
higher the number the colder the plug..
lower the number hotter the plug, according to NGK`s part number.

I let courtesy know of the typo.. but i guess they didnt fix it
Old 04-10-2002, 04:44 AM

Re: NGK Spark plug heats

Originally posted by rcrdps

Gene
I like the Bosch Platinum 4 personally... They're a little expensive, but I haven't had a problem with them.
They work a lot better in 4-banger Olds' tho...