3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any VG guys left?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 06:56 AM
Large Member

I certainly will get a ton of pics! Though, I hope you realize, this is going to take me a few years and quite a few thousand dollars so I'm not going to have anything done any time soon. Even I thought it sounded crazy when my friend told me we could do it. I still need to do a ton of research, of course, and find out what exact Audi drivetrain I am going to need to use.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by Shadow1198
I certainly will get a ton of pics! Though, I hope you realize, this is going to take me a few years and quite a few thousand dollars so I'm not going to have anything done any time soon. Even I thought it sounded crazy when my friend told me we could do it. I still need to do a ton of research, of course, and find out what exact Audi drivetrain I am going to need to use.
Right . Why even use an audi AWD, DSM/subaru parts are available now alot cheaper. Therefore you win this the assclown award for excellence
Old 04-16-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Nismo87SE

To the shadow duud: why the HELL dont you just go buy and audi or aubaru if you want AWD. It is rediculous to even try, and even though this is pretty much a waste of typing, but think about it, our cars were meant for fwd, including the chassis. One day you'll learn what this means, and you lil dream will be shaddered. When dreams come to reality it usually turns to ****.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:09 PM
Large Member

WTF! People on this d-board are so immature sometimes. I understand it is pretty unbelievable but that doesn't mean its impossible. If I wanted an Audi or Subaru, I'd go buy one but I DON'T!!! I understand everyone's disbelief, since that is a huge project to undertake but, now I see why no one can ever talk about any ideas or projects on this board! So what if I want to convert my Maxima to AWD? Anything's possible and let me deal with it but don't start insulting me or my intelligence at the first mention of something out of the ordinary.

Nismo87se, why use the Audi quattro when there are DSM parts available? Well first off, the Audi quattro AWD system is about the best AWD system there IS! Second, I just happen to be more partial to Audi so that's somewhat a matter of preference.

Sorry guys, from now on I guess I'll just never say anything about anything. You guys could have just pointed out how difficult and crazy this idea, to convert to AWD, is without jumping all over me. Also, isn't someone in NY supposedly attempting or at least looking into converting to AWD? I could have sworn I heard that on this board before.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Hmm above you were definately going to convert on the basis of your mechanic's advice. Now upon reading other posts, you are NOT going with it? I thought your mechanic worked on every car and has 30 years experience? IF and I say "IF" I were so determined to attempt such a project, I really wouldn't let a few bad posts deter you.

Or maybe you were NOT so determined or convinced it was so possible in the first place? It reminds me of some posts where "someone" was so determined to TT their VE. He was busy gathering parts and such. Now what? Nothing. Then there was the guy who has never taken an automotive class, had no job and doesn't know a wrench from a gas cap. BUT! 600hp turbo maxima was damn easy and just couldn't see how or why everyone was giving him a hard time. Now what? Nothing from him also.

Dreams are fine. But I suggest you temper your dreams w/ a good sense or reality. Or at least be ready to justify your projects w/ some type of technical background. Because without it, you come off looking like these other jokers we see one a week here.

I'm really trying not to flame you. That would be way to easy(trust me). To be honest, I've seen pictures of AWD systems grafted into 2wd cars before(fwd -> awd) But they came from a model that had BOTH configurations available. Ie.. Audi A4 and Quattro versions. But those pics were from Europe. This would be the only chance in hell(IMHO), that this type of work should be even considered. I hope you were ready to completely gut the rear end of your Maxima's unibody and re-weld a new undercarriage, suspension, driveline tunnel, custom tranny, axles, brakes, ecu etc........

WTF! People on this d-board are so immature sometimes. I understand it is pretty unbelievable but that doesn't mean its impossible. If I wanted an Audi or Subaru, I'd go buy one but I DON'T!!! I understand everyone's disbelief, since that is a huge project to undertake but, now I see why no one can ever talk about any ideas or projects on this board! So what if I want to convert my Maxima to AWD? Anything's possible and let me deal with it but don't start insulting me or my intelligence at the first mention of something out of the ordinary.

Nismo87se, why use the Audi quattro when there are DSM parts available? Well first off, the Audi quattro AWD system is about the best AWD system there IS! Second, I just happen to be more partial to Audi so that's somewhat a matter of preference.

Sorry guys, from now on I guess I'll just never say anything about anything. You guys could have just pointed out how difficult and crazy this idea, to convert to AWD, is without jumping all over me. Also, isn't someone in NY supposedly attempting or at least looking into converting to AWD? I could have sworn I heard that on this board before.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:44 PM
Large Member

Thanks for responding the way you did Jeff92se! That's the kind of response I am talking about. I appreciate you not flaming me. To clarify, I am still determined to at least attempt converting to AWD. However, thats kind of a project for the back burner right now. In the meantime, I need to do a ton of research before I even attempt to move forward with that. Though, I still will eventually go for it. I'm still in the research phase though. I realize its quite a huge leap in a different direction but, anything's is possible with enough time, parts and money!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Sometimes in the process of research, you find out many things that you didn't know before. The accumulation of knowledge will probably change your priorities and goals. But it's the journey that's important I guess.

It's my prediction that you will not end up doing the project. BUT you will be much wiser for it also.

Thanks for responding the way you did Jeff92se! That's the kind of response I am talking about. I appreciate you not flaming me. To clarify, I am still determined to at least attempt converting to AWD. However, thats kind of a project for the back burner right now. In the meantime, I need to do a ton of research before I even attempt to move forward with that. Though, I still will eventually go for it. I'm still in the research phase though. I realize its quite a huge leap in a different direction but, anything's is possible with enough time, parts and money!
Old 04-16-2002, 01:04 PM
Large Member

I know what you mean. I know theres always a big possibility this project won't work but, finding out and doing all the research is part of the fun! Thanks for the words of wisdom Jeff.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is nothing as embarassing as someone doing something after you told that person it couldn't be done.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm needing a caw

Here we go. Like what?

Originally posted by mtcookson
There is nothing as embarassing as someone doing something after you told that person it couldn't be done.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:26 PM

it's only a warning.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

When you get your 600hp+ maxima going, come back here and bring it. That is if I'm still around in the next xxx years it will take for you to accomplish such a feat.

it's only a warning.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:02 PM

actually if someone did it after i told them they couldnt, i'd give em mad props, but the last thing i'd be is embarassed.

Shadow- do you even realize WHAT your thinking about doing to your maxima?!? i mean seriously, did you THINK about it... have you ever looked under your own car to see how it could possibly even work?! You know theres a long bar that has to go to the rear drive axle, and our cars theres no place for that?! I suggest you keep your secret project secret until you finish it and embarass the hell out of me like no other. good luck.

Im halfway through my secret turbo diesel 13 liter engine transfer project. Madd torque and towing power..
Old 04-16-2002, 03:40 PM

just checking in...

...as a member of MCC's VG-Power members. I've been hanging out in the Audio-zone lately - got a project I'm workin' out the kinks on...

peace2u
Old 04-16-2002, 04:54 PM

Kraus91se, did you bend any valves or anything like that? I'm glad I got to replace my belt just in time. It probably would have broke the next day, had I not replaced it.
The valves are bent for sure. I put a new belt on so I could move it and it sounds like sh*t. My radiator was empty and my oil is full of water and anti-freeze.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:37 AM
lilcc

still kickin'

i have a 90 se. new to forum