3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

ANyone ever had this happen please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2002, 11:14 PM

ANyone ever had this happen please help!

When I am stopped at a stop sign or whenever my 92 max SE 5-speed will just drop below idle way down to nearly dying then slowly catch and bump back up to idle then drop right again and repeat, sometime dying. this is when I have the cltuch pedal depressed, and foot on or off the break, mind I have VTCs knocking.

thanks for the help!
Jared
Old 04-14-2002, 02:10 AM

Re: ANyone ever had this happen please help!

Originally posted by ICONOCLAST
When I am stopped at a stop sign or whenever my 92 max SE 5-speed will just drop below idle way down to nearly dying then slowly catch and bump back up to idle then drop right again and repeat, sometime dying. this is when I have the cltuch pedal depressed, and foot on or off the break, mind I have VTCs knocking.

thanks for the help!
Jared
Bump I need help with this ASAP please!

Jared
Old 04-14-2002, 02:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check for vacuum leaks. I think the manual says to squeeze the PVC hose (big hose behind the intake manifold) and see if idle rises. If it does you have a leak. I tried this once on a whim and found the hose to be rock hard though... Alternatively you can try squirting carb cleaner around.

Also check the EGR valve for sticking. Put your fingers under it and see if the diaphragm moves freely.

Those are some of the simpler checks, but it might be harder to track down if this happens only intermittently and not all the time. Best to borrow a manual from the library or better yet buy one and go through the troubleshooting part. There's tons more components you can check but it's more than I can say here.
Old 04-14-2002, 05:12 AM

Thanks

Originally posted by Bman
Check for vacuum leaks. I think the manual says to squeeze the PVC hose (big hose behind the intake manifold) and see if idle rises. If it does you have a leak. I tried this once on a whim and found the hose to be rock hard though... Alternatively you can try squirting carb cleaner around.

Also check the EGR valve for sticking. Put your fingers under it and see if the diaphragm moves freely.

Those are some of the simpler checks, but it might be harder to track down if this happens only intermittently and not all the time. Best to borrow a manual from the library or better yet buy one and go through the troubleshooting part. There's tons more components you can check but it's more than I can say here.
Not to sound like a fool or anything, but where in the world is the EGR? I cannot for the life of me remember.

Jared
Old 04-14-2002, 05:15 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Im pretty sure its

by the exhaust manifold before the y pipe
Old 04-14-2002, 05:25 AM

Re: Im pretty sure its

Originally posted by N34JZ
by the exhaust manifold before the y pipe
Oh goodie goodie... man I am tired just work 3rd shift so my bizznatch of a car can sit for a few hours and reset the ECU first. I think I'll tackle this late this afternoon or early eve after I arise from the cave called my room!

Thanks for the help