3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 07:51 AM
bjyang

quick question

if my tranny has gone bad, will i be able to switch gears easily when the car is turned off?? I ask because when the car is on, it is super hard to put into gear. When its off....it easily slides into gear! Im almost sure it is the tranny because i have a new clutch/slave/master cyclinder. I bled the clutch also. Anyone got any suggestions???

Old 04-17-2002, 01:20 PM

Depends on what you mean by on as in the car running clutch pedal down and you just rowwing the gears or actualy driving. If you chose Actualy driving I'd say it is usualy easier for me to change the grear while the tranny is spinning
Old 04-18-2002, 02:09 PM
bjyang

yes i mean when the car is off. Is it suppose to be easily shifted into gears whether the tranny is good or bad?? One more question........is the clutch suppose to feel different if the tranny is bad. My clutch feels soft and easier to step on. It doesnt feel normal. Also, its a new clutch installed bout 7-8 months ago.
thankx
bj

Old 04-18-2002, 02:58 PM

Does the trans grind when the motor is running and you try to shift?

There could be a hundred ways a manual tranny would go bad and not being able to shift with the engine running is one of them. But I usually see 50 bad clutches to 1 bad manual transmission. Based onl your post, I think that the clutch is not fully engaging and would check that out first, but then again, there is no way for me to tell without physically looking at the car; its just a guess.
I would suggest that you take it to a mechanic and get a second opinion on the clutch. Just because you have new parts on it, doesn't mean that it is good or working properly. I've seen alot of "Factory New" parts that weren't any better than the piece coming off the car.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:41 PM
bjyang

okay, since my last post.......i pulled out my tranny. It took me a good hour and a half to two. I think i found out my problem. I believe its the throw out bearing!!! Its cracked and broken. You guys think this could be the problem? Im almost sure. Its a new bearing too but i guess that one didnt last too long. I checked the clutch.......still brand new. Hope thats the problem. I'll grab a new bearing tomorrow....not today because i want to see if i can get a new one for free since its only been a few months since i put the new clutch in.
Okay.....until tomorrow...i will keep you guys updated!!
bj