3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 08:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi,

My Max produces a lot of wind noise while driving on the High/FreeWay - it seems the windows
are not sealing properly.

Q1. Anyone else experiencing the same problems and any suggested
solutions?

Q2. I would need to replace my Toyo Touring All Seasons with Winter
Tires. Any recommendations?

/Noela.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:09 AM

are all your door hinges good? if there not thats what the wind noises could be. i think its like 80 bucks to have a shop put new hinges on
Old 11-27-2000, 10:40 AM
perlmax90

my sun roof makes wind noise because i took out the inner part.

and i can't put it back in because i broke it taking it out.
just tought you'll like to know

Old 11-27-2000, 10:54 AM
STFU n00b!

I like to break parts on my car, then post about it.. just thought you'd like to know.

heheheh

uhhh, check all your weatherstripping also.. if your hinges are in good shape, it could simply be that the door frame is slightly bent along the top edge.. this is pretty common on imports and cars with small window frames.. our cars it's not as bad, but I did notice mine was slightly bent outward when I got it..

to check this, take a strip of paper (2-3" wide) and shut it in your door.. then try to pull it out.. if it moves, then you need to bend the window frame back in a little.. to do this on the back section of the door, just brace your knee about where the door lock is and give the back-top edge a good jerk or two..
if it's the front edge of the window (next to the windshield), you just do the same thing, except bend that part of the frame in, and put your knee in an appropriate place to brace the door.

Yes it works, yes I see dealers do it all the time, yes it worked for me on several different cars.
Old 11-27-2000, 10:55 AM

Oh wow...

Are you serious with the "fear this" logo on the front license plate holder? I assume that it was just a joke for the picture. Where I live, people that put those on drive UGLY GM cars...Grand Am, Grand Prix, Corsica, etc., etc. Remember, you drive a maxima. I think it detracts from your beautiful car.
Old 11-27-2000, 11:09 AM

First you have to determine if the noise is coming from around the window or the door. If you push on the window while driving, and the noise doesn't change, then it's the door (most likley). The door has three weater strips. The most important is the outer most one, attached to the body. It has to fit snuggly against the door when it's closed. This is particulary true for the front edge of the door by the windshield. If the weather stripping has lost some of its springyness, you can make the door close tighter. This is done by adjusting the position of the latch strike on the door pillar ("U" shaped piece of metal. Loosen the two screws (don't remove), and slide the strike a little in towards the car. Also check for any rips in the rubber and repair with a drop of Crazy glue. Another thing that helps is to put some Armor all type stuff on all the weather stripping.