3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

headlight issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2002, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

headlight issues

okay i beg the greatness of the board. My cars headlights are a strange thing ocassionaly both are on, but the passenger side is almost always out. The bulbs work fine you can switch them from one side to the other and witness perfect operation on the drivers side.
When you switch to the high beams however the reverse is true. then the drivers side is off and the passenger side lights up with the high beam.

This is rather perplexing. Is it some super secret jedi maxima secret or is this my person demon. Ive checked all the relays and the best i can come up with is the switch on the sterring column. Any help here would be very much apreciated.
Old 04-26-2002, 11:36 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Re: headlight issues

Originally posted by JuanaBoy

okay i beg the greatness of the board. My cars headlights are a strange thing ocassionaly both are on, but the passenger side is almost always out. The bulbs work fine you can switch them from one side to the other and witness perfect operation on the drivers side.
When you switch to the high beams however the reverse is true. then the drivers side is off and the passenger side lights up with the high beam.

This is rather perplexing. Is it some super secret jedi maxima secret or is this my person demon. Ive checked all the relays and the best i can come up with is the switch on the sterring column. Any help here would be very much apreciated.
I can almost guarantee you it's the actual switch on the steering column itself. I'd been having the same sorts of problems for about 2 yrs in my car. It got to the point where I had to wire up all new wires with a 3 prong switch in my interior to make sure my headlights would always work when I needed them. For a long time I thought it was in the wiring, checked all that out, checked out all the fusible links/relays, etc and all seemed fine.

Today I finally got my new (used) switch put in. Solved the problem totally. From what I understand a considerable amount of other guys have had the same problem with the switch itself...
Old 04-27-2002, 12:19 AM

btw james you try taking the switch apart to look inside?
Old 04-27-2002, 07:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: headlight issues

sweet thanks for the info could i ask where you got your replacement, and how hard was it to install? Are there issues with the airbag, do you have to remove it? thanks again
Old 04-27-2002, 07:53 AM

easy peasy swap
just take off the 4 screws under the steering column and take
the big plastic shield off... after that if you look at the
switch you should see 2 screws holding it in... unscrew
and unplug

james got his switch from me, but unfortunately i have no more
switches sitting around.. try the nissan dealer it shouldnt
be more than 50 bucks
Old 04-27-2002, 08:06 AM

could also be that if you ever had to replace the harness because it melted that you wired the harness wrong..just got to switch the high beam and low beam power wires..