3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Tranny slipping out of overdrive on 92 se auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 05:38 AM
nsdrtrdr

Tranny slipping out of overdrive on 92 se auto

I have a 92 SE auto with 150K on it, and have noticed in the last year that it will occassionally slip out of overdrive for 2-3 seconds, then re-engage. The problem has gotten much worse lately, and I'm wondering if the problem is a vacuum leak, an ignition problem (distributor cap, spark plug wires, etc.) or my transmission actually failing. I've scoured this forum (yes, I'm a newbie) thoroughly and have found several references to this type of problem.
(http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=69356)
(http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=65949)

I have also found a number of references to trannys going bad and the cost to replace (anywhere from $1200 to $2500). Does anyone have more definitive information on this problem? Anyone else with the same problem and ideas for a solution? My reason for asking is the fact that a 92 SE with $150K is likely only worth $3000, so spending $2000 on another transmission seems excessive. I'd rather sell the car and get a newer one. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Old 04-27-2002, 08:30 PM

Well if it is falling out of overdrive, there is a solenoid in the tranny that engages overdrive. I beleive it can be replaced. But, have you replaced your tranny fluid? if not do a couple drain and fills and then see how it runs.
Old 04-28-2002, 06:04 PM
nsdrtrdr

Originally posted by eric93SE
Well if it is falling out of overdrive, there is a solenoid in the tranny that engages overdrive. I beleive it can be replaced. But, have you replaced your tranny fluid? if not do a couple drain and fills and then see how it runs.
I've done one drain and refill, but no change. I used standard Dextron type III fluid I believe. Any rec's on whether better fluid would help, and if so, what type/brand of fluid? Thx for the help. I could do another drain and refill this week and see what happens.

Old 04-28-2002, 07:47 PM

Take it to a trsuted mechanic and let them diagnose it, it's really the only way to tell if a sylenoid is bad, or there is an electrical porblem. Good luck, my tranny was a nightmare.
Old 04-29-2002, 11:44 AM
Redlinemax Owner

Taking it to the mechanic can be a nightmare also!!! unless you go to a real trans shop not aamco. you will not get a real answer from anyone about what the problem is. I went around to different shops for about a year before i finally was told what the real problem was. The maxima is known for the electical solenoid to go bad which is probably your problem. but the real issue at hand is that the car has a sealed transmission. which means in order to change anything in the transmission or even look at the trans to find a problem, you have to take the trans out of the car. which will cost about 400. if you do that you ight as well get the trans rebuild while your at it! so your stuck between a rock and a hard place. make the decision now! is the car worth the cost of fixing it to you orm not? if its not upgrade to a newer max. if not fix it and still be happy. I have 225000 miles on my max and got the trans rebuild at 180,000 and i'm happy. cars still kickin.

Sorry bout the long post but hope this helps
Old 04-29-2002, 12:03 PM

nsdrtrdr, I guess you dont have the service manuel. I can list the procedure on how to run the tranny diagnostics. It's actaully very simple but I dont have the manuel in front of me, so I'll list the steps later tonight.

Does your power button blink when you start the car. If so this is the trouble code. What you need to do is count the flashes and note which is the longer of the flashes. Then one of us can look it up just to see where it is for the solenoid or not. Also there may not be a trouble code for the solenoid (just thought I'd mention that).

Redmax, there is a lot of stuff we can fix on the tranny without removing it. You just cannot take it to nissan cause they suxx, and all they are into in slapping in a rebuilt tranny even if there is a trivial problem (like the solenoid pack).
Old 04-29-2002, 08:09 PM

It look like if you follow how to run the diagnostic below, it should be #7 that would indicate a problem with the overdrive solenoid. Since I have not seen it on the org yet, here it is.

1)Start engine warm it up to normal engine operating temp.
2)Turn ignition switch to 'off' position
3)Set A/T mode switch to 'auto' position.
4)Set overdrive switch to 'on' position.
5)Move selector lever to 'P' position.
6)Turn ignition switch to 'ON' position, DO not start engine.
7)Does power indicator lamp come on for about two seconds? (This is just the bulb check part, here comes the diagnostic mode)

1)Turn ignition switch to 'off' position
2)Push shift lock release button.
3)Move selector lever to 'D' position.
4)Set overdrive seitch to 'off' position.
5)Wait for more than 2 seconds after ignition switch 'on'. (do not start engine)
6)Move selector lever to "2" position.
7)Set overdrive switch to 'on' position.
8)Move selector lever to '1' position.
9)Set overdrive switch to 'off' position.
10)Depress accelerator pedal fully and release it.
11)Check power indicator lamp. (This is were you have to count the binks on the 'P' indicator and note which blinks are long.

There are a total of ten blinks, the first is very long and just tells you its the begining of the blinks.

If all blinks are short then diagnostics says everything is ok (or it may not be something that diagnostics checks)
-The first blink is long = Revolution sensor
-The second blink is long = Vehicle speed sensor
-Third blink is long = Throttle position sensor
-Fourth = Shift solenoid valve A
-fifth = Shift solenoid valve B
-Sixth = Overrun solenoid valve
-Seventh = Torque convertor clutch solenoid valve
-Eight = Fluid temp sensor (on tranny solenoid pack) and A/T control unit power source circuit.
-ninth = Engine speed signal
-Tenth = Line press. solenoid valve

Enjoy
Old 04-30-2002, 10:43 AM
nsdrtrdr

eric93se - thanks a bunch for the diagnostic instructions. I will go through it this evening and see what the problem is. I may have more questions at that point, but will post if I do.

Thanks again for the great info. Let me know where to send donations (esp if you use paypal).

Old 05-01-2002, 06:36 PM
nsdrtrdr

Well, the diagnostic check indicates nothing is wrong (at least with what it checks) b/c there were 10 short blinks after one long one. I haven't yet flushed the fluid via several changes, so I'll do that this weekend. Any recommendations on fluid brand/type?

Old 05-02-2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by nsdrtrdr
Well, the diagnostic check indicates nothing is wrong (at least with what it checks) b/c there were 10 short blinks after one long one. I haven't yet flushed the fluid via several changes, so I'll do that this weekend. Any recommendations on fluid brand/type?
Use whatever, just dont get cheap stuff. If you want you could start using synthetic, like mobile one. But for the regular stuff, penzoil or quacker state would be fine.
Old 05-14-2002, 05:09 PM

Tranny slipping

Im the owner of the 1992 Maxima SE, auto, with 187,000km on it. I've experienced tranny slipping in and out of the gear, but it occurs at different gears not necessarily slipping out of the overdrive. It also occurs with no patters, sometimes when accelerating sometimes while cruising. I've run the transmission check you guys posted and everything seem to be fine. I've checked the plugs, changed the engine oil, the tranny oil seems to be fine, so im cluless of what the reason is.
I really need help, and suggestions what might fix it.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:16 PM

Re: Tranny slipping

Originally posted by wojtekj
Im the owner of the 1992 Maxima SE, auto, with 187,000km on it. I've experienced tranny slipping in and out of the gear, but it occurs at different gears not necessarily slipping out of the overdrive. It also occurs with no patters, sometimes when accelerating sometimes while cruising. I've run the transmission check you guys posted and everything seem to be fine. I've checked the plugs, changed the engine oil, the tranny oil seems to be fine, so im cluless of what the reason is.
I really need help, and suggestions what might fix it.

Thanks.
There is one thing I'll throw at ya. There is a ground wire that runs from the tranny to a ground source. This ground wire is for the solenoid pack inside the tranny. It can be accessed from the front but it is a little hidden, it runs off to the side pointing towards the driver side of the car, you will need to remove the plastic panel under the front of the car and search around for it. It is in the form of a black connector that grabs onto a ground tab. I was so dissapointed with mine (even after I cleaned it) that I decided to cut off the conector and solder it directly to the ground tab. The connector is very difficult to clean properly. Its definitly worth taking a look at, and if you've got that many miles on it then I bet it should be done.
What color was your tranny fluid?