3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I have a Big problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 12:22 PM

I have a Big problem

Well, I send my car to my friends shop to change some stuff.
the first day they change the spark plugs and wires, ignition cap and rotor, fuel filter and the put the UR underdrive pulley.
Every thing was OK.
Then the second day they put the new WSP y and CAI, and fix 3 broken struts in the magnifold.
When I take the car back from the shop it was ok (except for the Y hitting the front bar). Then I take the car to a ride and it have a big problem, when you accelerate it looks like it will shut down, the cars shakes and the rpms drops-up very often and then jump to high. its happends only in like 1800 to 3300 rpms. now I have my max laying in my garage and dont what to take it out.
What could be hte problem?

BTW, the car did something like it 2 weeks ago but fixid itself olmost inmidiatly.

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-2002, 12:55 PM

3rd gen maxs are very delicate with there spark plugs, sounds like gappage!
Old 05-05-2002, 04:51 PM

plug wires

Mine did the same thing after my tune-up. The idiots at the shop who did it switched the #5 and #6 plug wires. I Got a firing order printed up at Autozone and found the problem...switched them back...and now it runs great. Check it out.
-Blake
Old 05-05-2002, 07:00 PM

I will check if are the plugs tomorow but Im olmost sure are not.
Now the problem its in all rpms!!!
I dont know what to do!!!!
My acc valve its dont working fine for the las 6 moths (when I turn the AC on the valve dont adjust hte idle) mabe thats the problem.
When tha problem happend 2 weeks ago the ignition coil was unplugged, I plug it and the next day the car was fine. But now the coil its conectect, I think thats not the pro.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:22 PM
STFU n00b!

Please take your car to a competent shop and have it fixed. The one you took it to obviously doesn't know what they're doing, and from what you have said so far, neither do you (no offense).

Just take the thing to a real shop and have then fix the bugs.
Old 05-05-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
Please take your car to a competent shop and have it fixed. The one you took it to obviously doesn't know what they're doing, and from what you have said so far, neither do you (no offense).

Just take the thing to a real shop and have then fix the bugs.
OOh thanks for the BIG HELP!!!!

I know I have to take the car to a shop to fix it but I was looking if I find here help to find and solve the problem by my self.
I thought that was one of the things we can use the forum for......
Old 05-05-2002, 07:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by catman316

OOh thanks for the BIG HELP!!!!

I know I have to take the car to a shop to fix it but I was looking if I find here help to find and solve the problem by my self.
I thought that was one of the things we can use the forum for......
there are some things that are very easily diagnosed, are obvious, and occasionally can be fixed easily; count yourself lucky when you find one of these

There are others that are much more complicated like yours, without seeing/hearing/messing with your actual car, it will probably be very hard for someone to know exactly what is wrong. Someone may suggest something and it might be a good guess but who knows whether or not we will guess correctly.

Be greatful for all the forum can help you with, but dont forget that you're getting all this time and effort free from others so it might be wise not to yell at someone who can be a very valuable resource to you

Old 05-05-2002, 07:58 PM

Yes, I know,I will have to take it to a shop.

Im very pist off because I spend too much money to buy stuff to my max and now it have a problem like this and I think I will have to spend more finding and fixing the problem now.
Old 05-05-2002, 08:13 PM

Well the problem is you had a bunch of stuff done at once so it could have been any one of those things. You can't realy expect some on to say OK: You changed the spark plugs and wires, ignition cap and rotor, fuel filter and the put the UR underdrive pulley,
WSP y and CAI, and fix 3 broken struts in the magnifold
It must be the the spark plug
Old 05-05-2002, 08:23 PM
STFU n00b!

especially when there is no such thing at a "magnifold", and your MANIFOLD has studs, not struts.

Struts are part of your car's suspension, not engine.

thus my reasnoning to tell you to take it to a different shop... or take it BACK to the original one and tell them you want them to finish their job- their cost.

it wasn't doing that when you took it in, it shouldn't be when you get it back.
Old 05-06-2002, 02:54 AM

it doesnt matter if it was ok after plugs and wires, engine could of been in a diffrent temp range and when hot, spuutter on acceleration, and stall when floored, wont hurt to check, its very touchy