3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 PM

Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

I often switch from D to N when coasting down a hill or approaching a red light. Anything wrong with this? Could switching from N to D be bad for the transmission?

It feels very smooth when I do it, and I'm getting much better mileage.

Thanks for your input,

-Sam
Old 04-17-2002, 08:27 PM

Atleast your not going it under acceleration, maxima trannys (auto) arent known for their strength. Do a search to make sure, im sure its been talked about.
Old 04-17-2002, 09:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Have you checked the owner's manual for a comment that goes: "Do not place in N while car is moving" or "Do not coast in N for extended periods" or something to that effect? If not I might guess it'd be alright if nothing jolts or anything (like when you re-engage D). Just don't shut off the engine for that extra 1 mpg!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:58 PM

im sure its ok, i do it all the time with my car.

but dont be surprised when the auto starts breaking, because they suck regardless of how you drive it
Old 04-18-2002, 03:01 AM

Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Originally posted by sam1023
I often switch from D to N when coasting down a hill or approaching a red light. Anything wrong with this? Could switching from N to D be bad for the transmission?

It feels very smooth when I do it, and I'm getting much better mileage.

Thanks for your input,

-Sam
You will screw your already weak tranny...
There are other ways to save on gas mileage. It's important to save those pennies when you go to the pump right now, with prices as high as they are, but putting your car into neutral to coast down every hill and back into drive over and over again is gonna cost you way more than you're going to save.
Keeping up on general maintenance is by far the best way to maintain healthy and affordable gas mileage.
Old 04-18-2002, 03:59 AM

Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Originally posted by nismo1989

There are other ways to save on gas mileage. It's important to save those pennies when you go to the pump right now, with prices as high as they are, but putting your car into neutral to coast down every hill and back into drive over and over again is gonna cost you way more than you're going to save.
Keeping up on general maintenance is by far the best way to maintain healthy and affordable gas mileage.
Thanks.

What kind of maintenance are you suggesting? I change the oil and check all the fluid levels, and maintain good tire pressure, and that's about it.

-Sam
Old 04-18-2002, 05:14 AM

Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Doesn't the tranny automatically disengage the clutch when you're coasting, much the same as going D-N-D?
Old 04-18-2002, 05:44 AM

Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Originally posted by Taegost

Doesn't the tranny automatically disengage the clutch when you're coasting, much the same as going D-N-D?
No, it is not the same as taking it completely out of drive and then putting it back in drive while it's moving. I don't usually do that in my car and it's a 5spd...

and Sam: You're getting all the basics pretty well, but don't forget your intake (air filter, throttle body, etc.) or your ignition system (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.). Also, routine fuel system cleanings can do wonders on our old engines. Not the stuff of the shelf you add to your tank, either. You don't want those over the counter detergents mixing in your gas tank becuase they settle there. Get a professional fuel system cleaning done. Go to your local Nissan dealer and ask about a fuel system cleaning. Should cost $100-$150, but it's well worth it.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

No, it is not the same as taking it completely out of drive and then putting it back in drive while it's moving. I don't usually do that in my car and it's a 5spd...
On a 5spd I do, but then again, around here, coasting downhill is really coasting... It's less wear and tear on the tranny if you know how to keep up the speed to top the next hill.
Brakes are cheaper in that instance, but thank you for enlightening me on that, I knew it disengaged it, but I wasn't sure if it was the same or not.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

On a 5spd I do, but then again, around here, coasting downhill is really coasting...
yeah, it really depends on the terrain...
Old 04-18-2002, 01:48 PM

'

I don't think it is, at least not with my car. When I switch from D to N, the RPM's go down, and I coast much much smoother (less decelleration than just coasting, which slows down due to gear friction I suppose).

-Sam
Old 04-18-2002, 01:57 PM

and Sam: You're getting all the basics pretty well, but don't forget your intake (air filter, throttle body, etc.) or your ignition system (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.). Also, routine fuel system cleanings can do wonders on our old engines. Not the stuff of the shelf you add to your tank, either. You don't want those over the counter detergents mixing in your gas tank becuase they settle there. Get a professional fuel system cleaning done. Go to your local Nissan dealer and ask about a fuel system cleaning. Should cost $100-$150, but it's well worth it.
I will have that full cleaning service done soon, thanks. Does jiffy lube do it? There is one near by, much closer than a Nissan dealer.

And thanks a lot for all the information you've provided, I appreciate it.

-Sam
Old 04-18-2002, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by sam1023

Does jiffy lube do it?

And thanks a lot for all the information you've provided, I appreciate it.

-Sam

yeah jiffy does it, they will do it for around 30 or 40 bucks or so.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

hey guys,
My max will shift from drive into neutral w/o me applying the brake, I can just push the shifter into neutral as I'm moving. Is this normal, do your cars do this?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:02 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

normal as far as I know, mine does it too.

Originally posted by molehill84
hey guys,
My max will shift from drive into neutral w/o me applying the brake, I can just push the shifter into neutral as I'm moving. Is this normal, do your cars do this?
Old 04-23-2002, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

Alright, thanks DA-MAX, the first time it happened I was like, "God, that can't be good." I'm glad it's a normal thing.

Originally posted by DA-MAX
normal as far as I know, mine does it too.

Old 04-24-2002, 11:38 AM

The reason it seems this way is becuase an automatic transmition doesn't have "engine braking", like when you take a turn fast in an automatic and you have to tap the brakes going into the apex of the curve. You don't have the engine braking for you. This is why you see so many Suburbans in front of you in rush hour on the highway tapping thier brakes for seemingly no reason. If they don't thier inertia will keep them going until they rearend whatever is in front of them...
I love manual transmitions.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:00 PM

The reason it seems this way is becuase an automatic transmition doesn't have "engine braking", like when you take a turn fast in an automatic and you have to tap the brakes going into the apex of the curve. You don't have the engine braking for you. This is why you see so many Suburbans in front of you in rush hour on the highway tapping thier brakes for seemingly no reason. If they don't thier inertia will keep them going until they rearend whatever is in front of them...
I love manual transmitions.
SHut up you read that out of turbo magazine quit plagarizing other people`s work.
Old 05-02-2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by mykizism

SHut up you read that out of turbo magazine quit plagarizing other people`s work.
I don't even read whatever magazine and you shut the *** up you stupid punk.

WTF do you know anyway?? I said nothing to warrant you starting **** with me so watch yoursef, pal. Not sure what you suddenly have against me but whatever...
Old 05-02-2002, 01:53 PM

LOL!!

this is not good... saying "shut up" was not cool at all,
- back on the topic: i always put my tranny into N and rev around... I have been doing this for a long time (4 months), i dont abuse the tranny shifts on drive though... i have never brake torqued it and never N droped it.. tranny still feels liek new.. (82k)
Old 05-02-2002, 02:08 PM

Re: LOL!!

did i hear a lock noise?
Old 05-02-2002, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by molehill84
hey guys,
I believe all (Or ALMOST all) autos that have the shifter on the floor will go from D-N without pushing the button or brakes, I never use the button to shift it, just get to reverse and bring it down to Drive.
You can go from R-N also, but NOT from N-R without the button.
Old 05-02-2002, 05:42 PM

Personally I wouldn't do that, and I don't really understand how it saves you a noticable amount in gas milage. When coasting down a hill the torque convertor will disengage, letting it coast anyways. PUtting it back into drive from neutral when you are moving seems like it would be really hard on your tranny.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by davis4005
Personally I wouldn't do that, and I don't really understand how it saves you a noticable amount in gas milage. When coasting down a hill the torque convertor will disengage, letting it coast anyways. PUtting it back into drive from neutral when you are moving seems like it would be really hard on your tranny.
Yes, it is hard on the tranny. But you're okay revving a little, Chris. No need to worry about that. However I believe that most owner's manuals and FSMs will tell you somewhere that putting the car into drive from neutral while it is in motion is bad on the tranny and excessive wear. I may be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure on the part about it being a bad idea and hard on the car and I'll stick by that...
Old 05-02-2002, 06:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Switching from Drive to Neutral in '94 auto.

I don't even read whatever magazine and you shut the *** up you stupid punk.

WTF do you know anyway?? I said nothing to warrant you starting **** with me so watch yoursef, pal. Not sure what you suddenly have against me but whatever...

i dont know anything obviously, but if u want me to go scan that page where you got that from, its fine with me.
Old 05-02-2002, 07:05 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

i dont know anything obviously, but if u want me to go scan that page where you got that from, its fine with me.
are you taking about the Level 10 interview/article from the 7/01 issue of Turbo?? I just dug it up, I skimmed it real quick, but I don't see that statement in there, maybe I missed it????
Old 05-02-2002, 08:23 PM

darn......

damn..... so what your trying to say is for me to STOP what i do... damn .... i cant help it.. i do it like 10-20 times a day. yea.. yea.. im cool i know, i drive stick-shift vrrrroooommm vvvrrrommmmm.........
Old 05-06-2002, 05:19 AM

Whatever you want to do, it doesn't change the fact that I don't read that magazine and that you sound like a total jerk...