3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

hard start is back

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2002, 09:05 PM

hard start is back

fuel filter replaced (figured what the heck)

it cranks for about 6 seconds before it fires up. I don't get it. fuel pump maybe? or maybe pressure bleeding out the lines? i can't figure it out. I have a remote car start and keyless entry i want to install, but i really gotta figure out what's wrong first. it fixed itself before, i don't know why it's having problems again. any ideas at all?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Does it always take a long time to start, or just at certain times?

Can't remember 100%, but I think the fuel system is supposed to retain a certain amount of pressure in it even when off. So maybe if there was a leak or internal leak somewhere along the line it could let all the gas drain back to the pump/tank after a while. (?)
Old 05-06-2002, 03:04 AM

how does it run after started? if rough could be water, could be clog elsewhere, does the car stay running without steping on gas. Also it could just be a weak battery or the starter had a low load current. it it at normal starting rotation?
Old 05-06-2002, 05:09 AM

Originally posted by Bman
Does it always take a long time to start, or just at certain times?

Can't remember 100%, but I think the fuel system is supposed to retain a certain amount of pressure in it even when off. So maybe if there was a leak or internal leak somewhere along the line it could let all the gas drain back to the pump/tank after a while. (?)
Yes, it is supposed to retain the pressure... That's the swooshing sound you're SUPPOSED to get when you open the gas cap
Old 05-06-2002, 05:34 AM

Hmmmm.... mine lately has been wierd too. I'll turn the key to crank it, and hold it there, and it takes a second or two to turn over. It does nothing, and then starts normally in a flash just like it always has, I just have to hold the key there for a second or two.
Old 05-06-2002, 07:14 AM

yeah, that's sorta what mine does. once it's started it runs like a top, but it's for some reason, having trouble at first.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:26 AM
johnboy

Re: hard start is back

Originally posted by flyry110
fuel filter replaced (figured what the heck)

it cranks for about 6 seconds before it fires up. I don't get it. fuel pump maybe? or maybe pressure bleeding out the lines? i can't figure it out. I have a remote car start and keyless entry i want to install, but i really gotta figure out what's wrong first. it fixed itself before, i don't know why it's having problems again. any ideas at all?
Always try to keep the gas tank no less than (about) 1/4 full. If you have recently allowed the gas tank to get almost totally empty you may have (partially) clogged the injectors. Run a tank full of premium fuel and the starting issue should clear up.

Old 05-06-2002, 09:47 AM

i only run premium through it, but yeah, i have run it lower than i should have lately. Down to the E line a few times. Maybe i'll buy an injector kit. .. . . or those injectors from jeff. . . .i think it was jeff that had em. . . .anyway, thanks for all the help guys!
Old 05-06-2002, 09:58 AM
johnboy

i only run premium through it, but yeah, i have run it lower than i should have lately. Down to the E line a few times. Maybe i'll buy an injector kit. .. . . or those injectors from jeff. . . .i think it was jeff that had em. . . .anyway, thanks for all the help guys!
The problem will, most likely, clear without your having to do anything but drive the car...... fill up with good gas and perhaps add (optional) a can of injector cleaner to your tank.

Just a bit of crud in the injectors.... it should clear out because the problem is starting and not running.

Old 05-06-2002, 10:02 AM

Replace all the rubber fuel lines from the fuel filter to the fuel rail and the fuel filter inlet to the hard line from the tank. Then replace the fuel rail outlet line to the tank also.
Old 05-06-2002, 11:36 AM

yeah, that's sorta what mine does. once it's started it runs like a top, but it's for some reason, having trouble at first.
Mine doesn't sit and crank, it just sits there while I have the key turned not doing anything, and then after a second or two it cranks and turns over immediately like normal. I don't get it???? I always use premium and don't let my tank run down... Any suggestions?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:49 PM

yeah, mine cranks. . .i don't know why
Old 05-06-2002, 04:35 PM

mine's been doing something weird like that too. it runs well and if i park for a lil while say 5-10mins, and i try to start it up, all i heard is a click of the starter, and that's about it. so i leave it for a couple of mins and it starts normally like nothing happened. I had earlier on in the year replaced the starter for a brand new one, and replaced the fuel filter as a preventive, but this is new is sort of...er... embarrasing especially when i'm with my girl
any ideas?>?>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lophix:
91se 5speed blk, cai
kameleon, 12" tornadoes
Old 05-06-2002, 05:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Taegost

Yes, it is supposed to retain the pressure... That's the swooshing sound you're SUPPOSED to get when you open the gas cap
Uh... you sure? I think that pressure is just from the gas vapor that's filling the empty space in the tank. The pressure within the fuel pump and lines is different and a LOT higher anyway. Also, if everyone depressurizes the fuel system every time they open the gas cap you'd hear everyone cranking like crazy at the gas station as they leave...

Flyry, the FSM says for hard starting when cold to check:
-fuel pressure
-injectors
-spark
-air regulator and AAC valve --->>>> This last one they say you check by: Pressing accelerator fully and see if you can start the engine.

I'm not sure if this is for "if it will not start at all", but it seems so simple a test it's worth a shot and see if it starts easier.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:55 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hard start

This may not be it but I had a similar problem that eventually progressed into some rather nasty stalling and wierd Tach guage movement. I tired all kinds of things took it to the dealer 3 times and another local mech twice, no help. The problem was intermittent and seemed to always work fine for the small amount of time they had it. I finally found a mech at the dealer that was interested in my problem and told him everything. I thought it was electrical and he agreed it probably was but he told me to get a ful guage and put it in line down stream of the filter and next time I had a problem to immediately get out and open the hood and check the pressure. He recommended this because in his words if it was electrical it would be very expensive to find it. I did what he said and guage was $65 at NAPA and the next time it did it the pressure showed 0. Pressure should always be 35 to 40 (I think he said 38) even with engine off. Don't know about that gas cap thing but in line there should always be pressure. Called mech and told him what I found and I suggested fuel pump, he seriously doubted that, said he had never seen one go bad and since they cost 300+ I might want to check wiring to fuel pump and the relays. I checked wiring to the best of my ability, it checked good. Then I started changing relays, one for the fuel pump, no help. Then somewhere on this forum someone talked about the relay under the hood that controls computer (same type of relay about $15), and I believe it said EC CON on it, located in a black rectangle box with easily removed cover. I tired that one and problem fixed. 175,00 and runs like new! I found in my research that fuel pump kicks on (5sec)when key is turned but not all the way to start just on. You can hear it easily sitting in the driver seat with rear lower seat removed. Good luck
Old 05-06-2002, 11:06 PM

Re: hard start

Originally posted by cemtag
.....Then I started changing relays, one for the fuel pump, no help. Then somewhere on this forum someone talked about the relay under the hood that controls computer (same type of relay about $15), and I believe it said EC CON on it, located in a black rectangle box with easily removed cover. I tired that one and problem fixed. 175,00 and runs like new! I found in my research that fuel pump kicks on (5sec)when key is turned but not all the way to start just on. You can hear it easily sitting in the driver seat with rear lower seat removed. Good luck
that sounds like something i'd check out. Thanx for the info cemtag! that's really helpful!

lophix---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 05-07-2002, 09:27 AM

Last night I stopped at Pier One to pay the woman's card off, and when I got back in the car it wouldn't start. Instead of delaying like it has been, it just didn't do anytihig. Everything had juice and all the fuses were okay, but it wouldn't even click or try to turn over!! I called a buddy to come and help me try to push start it, and waited 40 minutes for him to get there. As he was coming up the street to meet me, I tried to start it again and nothing. Then, I tilted the steering wheel down and tried it again and it cranked immediately!!!! I was so ****ed!! Anyhow, I think now that there is a short in the ignition... I hope I can find out what's up