3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Failed inspection on high pressure power steering host?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 07:10 AM

Failed inspection on high pressure power steering host?

Howdy again.

I went to the inspection station this morning and they failed me on a leaking high pressure power steering host. The inspector was trying to show me where it is and I don't think I got what he was telling me.

Does anyone know where that host is? I have a 92SE.

Thanks.

-AC
Old 05-29-2002, 07:20 AM
STFU n00b!

it's between the power steering pump and the switch unit at the top of the engine bay- just behind the strut tower. that one is prone to leak and is a PIA to find at parts stores. Autozone and Oreilly's won't have it. Pep Boys said it was on backorder for months.

try Advance Auto parts or NAPA. dealer prices rae horrendous on that guy.
Old 05-29-2002, 08:04 AM

Thanks dude !!! I really appreciate it !

I have a Chilton's manual and there is no mention about it ! Now I know where I have to check.

-AC
Old 05-30-2002, 07:28 AM

Update

Hello again. I spent some time to check my power steering this morning and found that the inspector doesn't know what he is talking about.

First, I found the power steering high pressure hose. The one that goes between the pump and the switch behind the strut tower, with some kind of heat insulation on the hose close to the pump side. And this hose is not leaking.

Then I found the hose he shown me and that actually is a return hose from the steering rack back to the power steering fluid tank (actually, it goes to a metal pipe that goes to the front of the condensor that acts as a cooler for power steering fluid). He complaint that's the one leaking.

I have a front crank seal oil leak problem (yet have no time to fix) and the engine oil is actually thrown out from the crank pulley and it wet the power steering return hose so he failed me.

I don't need to add any power steering fluid for the past year so I think my power steering is fine. But I just need to fix my crank seal and clean the engine for re-inspection.

Any comments? Am I on the right track? Thanks.

-AC
Old 05-30-2002, 07:38 AM

Re: Update

Originally posted by AC439
Hello again. I spent some time to check my power steering this morning and found that the inspector doesn't know what he is talking about.

First, I found the power steering high pressure hose. The one that goes between the pump and the switch behind the strut tower, with some kind of heat insulation on the hose close to the pump side. And this hose is not leaking.

Then I found the hose he shown me and that actually is a return hose from the steering rack back to the power steering fluid tank (actually, it goes to a metal pipe that goes to the front of the condensor that acts as a cooler for power steering fluid). He complaint that's the one leaking.

I have a front crank seal oil leak problem (yet have no time to fix) and the engine oil is actually thrown out from the crank pulley and it wet the power steering return hose so he failed me.

I don't need to add any power steering fluid for the past year so I think my power steering is fine. But I just need to fix my crank seal and clean the engine for re-inspection.

Any comments? Am I on the right track? Thanks.

-AC

Yep, you are on the right track. The crank pulley leaking throws oil up in that area. You need to pull off the crank pulley to change that seal. Get the seal from the dealer. It is only about $6 and aftermarket stores have a hard time figuring out the correct seal. If you are into modifying the car, now is a perfect time to get an underdrive pulley since you have to take the pulley off anyways. Also, some parts stores loan tools like that so you don’t have to buy them although I was able to find a puller for around $10.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

get some castrol super clean or some simple green and clean the PS hose area. drive to a different shop. u should pass w/o a prob.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:47 AM
STFU n00b!

As dan said.. just clean up the mess for the time being and take it to a different shop.

when you're ready to fix it, the VE engine is pretty easy. it's a 1 hour job. VG engine, you'll have to remove the timing belt. not a fun thing.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:20 AM

Thanks guys for answering.

I have already brought the seal and have a 12Volt impact wrench (not sure if this works but it claims to have 240lb/ft). I just need to spend the time to get it done. The only problem is I don't have jack stands and I can't drive it up on the ramp to remove the right wheel so I have yet to figure out a safe way to do it. I have just changed my oil and put 4 qts of Pennzoil High mileage engine oil hopeing it will seal the crank (100 miles after oil change and no sign of sealing yet). Therefore, I think I have to replace the seal anyway.

The inspection station gave me 30 days grace period so I have some time to work on it and they already charged me $33 so if I go to another station, I'll waste my money. Cleaning the engine is definitely an item on my plate but I might change the crank seal first, then clean the enginer or otherwise, I have to clean the engine one more time.

-AC
Old 05-30-2002, 09:37 AM

I doubt it will seal. Mine progressively worse pretty quickly. What about just using the factory jack and then some wood blocks for extra safety support? The car doesn't need to be high at all, but like you said, just enough to get the wheel off. Be advised that you may still need the puller to get the pulley off, but you may not. Mine came off like butter once the crank bolt was out, but not all come out like that.
Old 05-30-2002, 10:07 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by AC439
The inspection station gave me 30 days grace period so I have some time to work on it and they already charged me $33 so if I go to another station, I'll waste my money. Cleaning the engine is definitely an item on my plate but I might change the crank seal first, then clean the enginer or otherwise, I have to clean the engine one more time.

-AC
What dan meant was that he failed you because the hoses were dirty and looked like they were leaking.. if you clean it up so there's no mess, they won't notice the leak and pass you.
in the case you had to spend the money on the inspection already, then you're stuck going back there.
where are you anyway? this is the first time I've ever heard of someone failing you because of a leaking fluid. (then again, all they did here was check tires, horn, brakes, and turn signals and sent you on your way)
Old 05-30-2002, 11:05 AM

I'm in North Carolina. Yep, it sucks. Everything in here sucks !

The inspection check lots of things and the state is making money on it. Most garrages don't give reliable services and they charge more. I used to live in FL and car inspection was a 5 mins job and cost me $10 every year. This time, they failed me on my windows tint as well. I have been in this place for inspection for the past 4 years. They passed me the first 2 years. Last year, they failed my rear window tint (the one with defroster). This year, they failed my two rear side windows tint (this is much easier to taken care of). The only reason I go there for inspection is convenience (on my way to work).

I'm moving back to FL next year.

-AC
Old 05-30-2002, 11:38 AM
STFU n00b!

relatives in FL?
get the car registered there and go back to FL plates and inspection and be done with it.

if you get pulled over, just tell them your parents are divorced and you're just in NC for school/work for a few months.
Old 05-30-2002, 12:16 PM

Wish I have relatives in FL.

But I need to get my crank seal replaced anyway. It's just this NC state goverment politics causing us problem.

I'd have been much happier if I'm in FL.

-AC