3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I got my stillen front lip

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 08:04 AM

I got my stillen front lip

no i need to know if i should paint it then installit or install it and then paint it and do i really need to take the whole front bumper off like it says or can i just attach the lip is there any pics that some one has that can help me install the lip ngthing had a website on how to install it but its not working ne more

thanx
william
Old 06-01-2002, 08:28 AM

Install then paint.

You don't want to paint it then try to install it and get the paint all messed up because you keep on scratch the sh*t out of it.

When it's on there you can look for any imperfections and correct it before painting.

You also get a better paint job when it's installed and then painted because the person painting it can get it to match the rest of your cars paint better.
Old 06-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I had mine painted then installed....takes much less time and you don't have to mask off the car to paint. I can't see how you would scratch up the lip that bad while installing it, its not that hard with 2 people who know what they are doing.
Old 06-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Install then paint.

You don't want to paint it then try to install it and get the paint all messed up because you keep on scratch the sh*t out of it.

When it's on there you can look for any imperfections and correct it before painting.

You also get a better paint job when it's installed and then painted because the person painting it can get it to match the rest of your cars paint better.
Your statement is incorrect. If you scratch up your lip while installing it, other than the bottom of it, you should have a body shop install it for you.

Painting the lip before it is on the car allows you to get paint on from all angles, equally. In addition you can wet sand your lip when you are done must easier than if it were on the car.

You can match paint without having to spray on the car. If you pant your lip on the car you have to mask off every possible part that could get oversprayed.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by White93SE

Your statement is incorrect. If you scratch up your lip while installing it, other than the bottom of it, you should have a body shop install it for you.

Painting the lip before it is on the car allows you to get paint on from all angles, equally. In addition you can wet sand your lip when you are done must easier than if it were on the car.

You can match paint without having to spray on the car. If you pant your lip on the car you have to mask off every possible part that could get oversprayed.

Incorrect?

You need to people to install the front lip. If you don't know what you're doing but want to save money and try and do it yourself it'll be hard to keep it in place when you're mounting it. It'll fall and scratch the paint.

Sometimes these things come with minor defects which have to be taken care of before it gets painted, the only way to notice those defects sometimes is when it's already mounted to the car. One example would be if the lip didn't mate up properly to the bumper leaving a gap or something. As you could imagine this would be a pain in the a$$ to deal with after the lip has been painted.

I don't know if you ever painted a car like I did and some other people on the board have. But regardless of if you paint it on or off the car, it'll get painted evenly. Wet sanding is supposed to be done off the car, no one ever said to wet sand anything on the car.

You speak about masking like it's hard. Have you ever done it? It's hard to tape paper to the car? I had a job at a body shop masking cars and sanding them, it's not hard, body shops tend to have good tools to make the process easier.

This isn't something where one menthod is wrong and the other is right, either is right, you can paint it on or off the car, one is just easier.
Old 06-01-2002, 08:53 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Sudesh

Incorrect?

You need to people to install the front lip. If you don't know what you're doing but want to save money and try and do it yourself it'll be hard to keep it in place when you're mounting it. It'll fall and scratch the paint.

Sometimes these things come with minor defects which have to be taken care of before it gets painted, the only way to notice those defects sometimes is when it's already mounted to the car. One example would be if the lip didn't mate up properly to the bumper leaving a gap or something. As you could imagine this would be a pain in the a$$ to deal with after the lip has been painted.

I don't know if you ever painted a car like I did and some other people on the board have. But regardless of if you paint it on or off the car, it'll get painted evenly. Wet sanding is supposed to be done off the car, no one ever said to wet sand anything on the car.

You speak about masking like it's hard. Have you ever done it? It's hard to tape paper to the car? I had a job at a body shop masking cars and sanding them, it's not hard, body shops tend to have good tools to make the process easier.

This isn't something where one menthod is wrong and the other is right, either is right, you can paint it on or off the car, one is just easier.
defects and fit should be check prior to prepping the piece. u should know that if you worked at a body shop.

masking is not majorly difficult...but it's not extremely easy either. one missed spot of the tape and you'll get bleeding. IMO i like to do the piece off the car. no i didn't scratch the paint because you would have something on the ground..cardboard or something to prevent scraping on the ground.

only difference is if u paint when the part is ON the car you don't have to use flex. if it's off the car flex is mandatory.

also u can wet sand off and on the car. it's actually easier to buff out when it's on the car because u can buff other parts on the car too.

there are prob a million way one can shoot paint. do whatever works for u...so u guys can chill the fock out...freggin everyone is a expert on here.

yes i've painted.
Devilbiss HVLP grav gun
PPG DPFL primer
PPG DBU color
PPG DCU StratoClear

wanna get high? sniff the reducer. LOL