3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Should I replace all my injectors ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Should I replace all my injectors ?

My car started miss-firing the other day and I discovered that cylinder #5 injector is shot; it doesn't read 10-14 ohms, it reads a open circuit, does not pass the power balance test, computer shows error 51 as well. My car has about 186K on it, and I remember re-placing a different injector about 2 years ago.

I was wondering if it is worth the hassle of replacing all 6 injectors. I plan to do the work myself and expect it to take all day. As for the car, I plan to keep it for a couple more years at max and don't want to spend tons of cash on it. Can I assume that rest of them are at the end of their lifespan? Also, where is a good place to buy them outright w/o spending big $$$$.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:59 AM

Yes replace all of them. Other wise you'd have to do the job more than once. Be sure to clean the upper intake collector and throttle body.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:12 AM

Re: Should I replace all my injectors ?

Originally posted by byunique
My car started miss-firing the other day and I discovered that cylinder #5 injector is shot; it doesn't read 10-14 ohms, it reads a open circuit, does not pass the power balance test, computer shows error 51 as well. My car has about 186K on it, and I remember re-placing a different injector about 2 years ago.

I was wondering if it is worth the hassle of replacing all 6 injectors. I plan to do the work myself and expect it to take all day. As for the car, I plan to keep it for a couple more years at max and don't want to spend tons of cash on it. Can I assume that rest of them are at the end of their lifespan? Also, where is a good place to buy them outright w/o spending big $$$$.
So far the best price I have found is from courtesy nissan for new injectors.
Old 06-02-2002, 11:47 AM

Re: Should I replace all my injectors ?

The exact same thing happened to me. I ended up doing the job myself when the mechanic botched the job. Since you are gonna do it youself
and only gonna keep your car for so long, just replace the one injector or just the firewall side injectors (they tend to go first). At 186k it doesnt seem worth replacing all injectors.

Originally posted by byunique

Old 06-02-2002, 08:23 PM

If you do decide to just replace the one bad injector, then get this fuel injection tune up kit and read what I did in this link:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....intle+and+caps
Old 06-02-2002, 08:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Should I replace all my injectors ?

Originally posted by latinmaxima

So far the best price I have found is from courtesy nissan for new injectors.
how much did courtesy nissan quote you for injectors? my car decided today that it wouldnt start, after beging to misfire on the way home last night. i think one or more of the injectors are bad.
Old 06-03-2002, 03:18 AM

I've done minor repairs by myself on my car. I've looked at replacing the injectors in my repair manual and it looks pretty tough, but when I look at the car it doesn't. Can I replace the rear injectors without taking off the whole intake? It looks like I can, but I'm not the expert. Also,

LATINMAX
How much were those rebuilt injectors?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:24 AM

on the vg you have to take the intake collector and the plate below it off. not sure about ve. It was easier than it looks imo. Just have plenty of time so you arent stuck w/o a car.

Originally posted by KCMax
I've done minor repairs by myself on my car. I've looked at replacing the injectors in my repair manual and it looks pretty tough, but when I look at the car it doesn't. Can I replace the rear injectors without taking off the whole intake? It looks like I can, but I'm not the expert. Also,

LATINMAX
How much were those rebuilt injectors?
Old 06-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for all your suggestions so far guys...

I have decided to replace all 6 injectors, hopefully I will be free on injection problems for a while. I have been checking out prices and seems you can buy injectors for approx $125 at the dealer, approx $88 online and rebuilt ones for approx $45.

I am thinking to go with the rebuilt route since they are matched as a set and most of the time injectors fail because of deposits and they are a lot cheaper.

Just wondering if anyone has gone this route, and where is the best place to get them.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:12 AM

Mine are better now!

I told you that I was putting in all that injector cleaner for $hits and giggles to see if that would save me some $, well, I think it's working for me. Unlike your car, mine only does it when I start it, then goes away. I've put in 2 bottles of "Outlaw" and 3 bottles of "STP Fuel Injector Cleaner" that "unstops clogged injectors". I've never had much faith in all these things, but you know what, (*what*) it's not misfiring when I start it now. I've just been putting it in when my car is low on gas (1/4 tank) and running it till I'm on "E" then doing it all over again. Maybe it'll work and I won't have to replace these damn things. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2002, 05:51 AM

Re: Mine are better now!

I told you that I was putting in all that injector cleaner for $hits and giggles to see if that would save me some $, well, I think it's working for me. Unlike your car, mine only does it when I start it, then goes away. I've put in 2 bottles of "Outlaw" and 3 bottles of "STP Fuel Injector Cleaner" that "unstops clogged injectors". I've never had much faith in all these things, but you know what, (*what*) it's not misfiring when I start it now. I've just been putting it in when my car is low on gas (1/4 tank) and running it till I'm on "E" then doing it all over again. Maybe it'll work and I won't have to replace these damn things. Good luck!
Just don't over-do it. All that cleaner( mostly alcohol) running through the fuel system can break down seals very quickly, especially if there are alot of miles on it. Funny how curing one problem can cause another.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Should I replace all my injectors ?

Originally posted by wiggumz

how much did courtesy nissan quote you for injectors? my car decided today that it wouldnt start, after beging to misfire on the way home last night. i think one or more of the injectors are bad.

They quoted me $120 for new injectors. I found rebuilt for $79. Personally I would go with the new ones but that is just because I am planning on doing more to the motor.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

got it done!

Just to let you guys know, I eventually just replaced the one failed injector. I didn't do all six because I couldn't get the parts all lined up...otherwise, I would have since the motor had 186K miles. The injector was $133 from the dealer plus upper and lower intake manifold gaskets (about $12 bucks a piece). Someone else mentioned the beck-arnley kit for approx $125, I could see the reason for this...only the 2 gaskets and oring were replaced. I also had to buy the upper and lower O-rings for the injector since it was separate from the dealer (another $6 bucks). I could have replaced the throttle body gasket too, but I didn't since it is a thick paper one and could be reused. The lower intake gasket is a crushed metal one and the upper one is this delicate looking thing which has to be scraped off the manifold with a file...so they gotta be replaced.

The job was pretty straightforward and I followed the Haynes procedure step by step. One thing that really surprised me was the number of vacuum hoses that connected to the manifold. You don't really understand it until you try pulling it all apart. Because this was my first time I had worked on the motor, I was a bit unconfident. One thing you will need is a 6MM HEX allen head which can attach to a 3/8 ratchet drive. I first tried the "L" shaped allen wrench, but couldn't get enough torque down to loosen the bolts. From reading some other posts, I didn't really have a problem taking the fuel injector out of the rail. One thing I did was use a impact screwdriver to loosen up the screws which hold the injector in...otherwise, a regular screwdriver would strip the threads. To get the injector out, I clamped the old injector in a vice head and rotated the fuel rail until the injector came out..not a big deal. Once I had the injector out, I measured the resistance of it and it was open circuit.

Before I re-assembled everything I cleaned up the throttle body and manifold with carb/throttle body cleaner. The throttle body was dirty as heck with lots of gunk just behind the throttle plate. The manifold itself was a little dirty, so sprayed it down a bit, but didn't spend too much time on it (figured it wouldn't make that much difference anyway, throttle body is most important)

I fired up the car, and everything was perfect. No more miss-fire from #6, and the car ran smoother than before. The car used to have this hesitation at freeway speeds, (felt like a missfire), and now that is gone..most likely related the the faulty injector.

So, good luck if you do this project. Timewise, it took about a couple of hours to dissassemble everything and a full day on Saturday to re-assemble (taking my time of course)
Old 07-08-2002, 07:36 AM

Good Job!

Anytime you can save yourself $ and the anguish of taking the car to the stupid dealer, DO IT. My car is perfectly fine now, but I think those little injectors are still a little dirty b/c the car kinda "putts" when it idles. However, the thing runs perfectly fine, so I guess all that injector cleaner did its job - that's a first Anyway, I don't think that I have the self-confidence that you do to do this type of job, so if it does come to replacing the injector on mine, I think I'll let the garrage do it.
BTW ~ in my manual, Hayes, it says that you need to do some sodering on those injectors; is this true? I was looking at the 1,3,5 cylinders and I don't think that I need to pull the manifold off to reach those; is this true? Thanks!
Old 07-08-2002, 07:26 PM

Re: Good Job!

Anytime you can save yourself $ and the anguish of taking the car to the stupid dealer, DO IT. My car is perfectly fine now, but I think those little injectors are still a little dirty b/c the car kinda "putts" when it idles. However, the thing runs perfectly fine, so I guess all that injector cleaner did its job - that's a first Anyway, I don't think that I have the self-confidence that you do to do this type of job, so if it does come to replacing the injector on mine, I think I'll let the garrage do it.
BTW ~ in my manual, Hayes, it says that you need to do some sodering on those injectors; is this true? I was looking at the 1,3,5 cylinders and I don't think that I need to pull the manifold off to reach those; is this true? Thanks!
I just replaced all my injectors in my max, and I paid just under $100 for each injector, from the dealer. I also am in the buisness (meaning, also work on cars) so I get a 20% discount.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was taking apart my intake today to polish it since i have nothing better to do with the car cause i'm waiting for tranny parts. I was curious if there was a way to clean the injectors by taking them out. I can remove them right now if I wanted and I want to if there is a good way to clean them without running the car. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2002, 11:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

kcmax - What soldering!! No way, there is no soldering required anywhere. The injector boot are held onto the injectors with a clip, so they just pull right off once you pry the clip off. I don't think you can really pull those injectors off the fuel rail w/o removing the manifold. I couldn't imagine getting in there w/o pulling things apart.

mtcookson - As far as cleaning goes, yes, they can be ultrasonically cleaned. That is the real only way to do it. http://www.rceng.com/
Once you take them out, you really can't see too much dirt. If you have the time, send them out to rc engineering.