3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

one-piece headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 03:33 PM

one-piece headlights

i like the look of the homemade one-piece headlights a few of you guys are making with the bmw lights. im tryimg to figure out exactly how it is done tho before i even consider doing it. first how do the aftermarket lense covers fit on there. do they make a complete seal on the lamps? anyone have pictures or anything of what it looks like not in the car. if you guys dont wanna post on here can yoiu at least email me. thanks
Old 06-12-2002, 07:14 PM

come on guys!!
Old 06-12-2002, 08:00 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by thebull
come on guys!!
I will be taking mine off to do some priming on my front end and I will try to take a pic then and send it to you. I will tell you this though they dont fit on the housing perfect you have to be creative to make it sealed. I am eventually work on something that will make it a little easier to fit and seal but I am concentrating on the body work right now.

I will email you pictures in a couple days when I get them off. Craig may have some pics already because I know he is real good about taking pictures when he works on his car.

Like I said in a post the other day there is no set way to do this. I did it different from Craig and we both did it different from Brandon. My lights are recessed farther back than Craigs because I have a gap between the top of the covers and the housing and he doesnt--look at my pictures of the top pic with hood open and then look at his--his is good because it goes right up to the housing and I had to use weather stripping to seal mine.

I am sure others have done this too but not posted it here.
Old 06-12-2002, 08:22 PM

yeah, ive seen yours they look really good to me. i was wondering how they incorporated the corners in it. after looking at your again it gave me some ideas. thanks
Old 06-12-2002, 08:49 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

yeah, ive seen yours they look really good to me. i was wondering how they incorporated the corners in it. after looking at your again it gave me some ideas. thanks
Ok on the corners I have weather stripping where it mates up to the lens and the same goes for the side up against the grill. So far it seams to seal it pretty good but I hardly drive it and havent driven it in the rain since I put the lights on.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:29 PM

What about the angel eyes lights?

I am seriously considering intalling the E-36 BMW Angel eye aftermarket lights on my Maxima. The lights appear to be a sealed unit. Are all the E-36 conversions a sealed unit? If so what part of the light are the weatherstripping suggestions about? I have looked at the pics on a few of the conversion sites, but I just figured that after you modified the light housing frame (and some gentle persuasion with a hammer)in the Maxima, the E-36 lights would fit in.

Brian
Old 06-12-2002, 09:32 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: What about the angel eyes lights?

Originally posted by Maxima_Van_WA
I am seriously considering intalling the E-36 BMW Angel eye aftermarket lights on my Maxima. The lights appear to be a sealed unit. Are all the E-36 conversions a sealed unit? If so what part of the light are the weatherstripping suggestions about? I have looked at the pics on a few of the conversion sites, but I just figured that after you modified the light housing frame (and some gentle persuasion with a hammer)in the Maxima, the E-36 lights would fit in.

Brian
My conversion is a little different because I cut the e36 lens off and installed uh...something else I will let you figure that part out

just kidding...I used headlight covers.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by awsm66

I will be taking mine off to do some priming on my front end and I will try to take a pic then and send it to you. I will tell you this though they dont fit on the housing perfect you have to be creative to make it sealed. I am eventually work on something that will make it a little easier to fit and seal but I am concentrating on the body work right now.

I will email you pictures in a couple days when I get them off. Craig may have some pics already because I know he is real good about taking pictures when he works on his car.

Like I said in a post the other day there is no set way to do this. I did it different from Craig and we both did it different from Brandon. My lights are recessed farther back than Craigs because I have a gap between the top of the covers and the housing and he doesnt--look at my pictures of the top pic with hood open and then look at his--his is good because it goes right up to the housing and I had to use weather stripping to seal mine.

I am sure others have done this too but not posted it here.
Oh oh can you send me some too please?
Old 06-13-2002, 05:33 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by Damion

Oh oh can you send me some too please?
no problem but I dont know when I am going to take them out probably by the weekend.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:00 AM

are the headlight covers as thick as the bimmer lenz???? you know what I mean???? The clear lenz that is like and inch or so long.....
Old 06-13-2002, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by pearl93max
are the headlight covers as thick as the bimmer lenz???? you know what I mean???? The clear lenz that is like and inch or so long.....
yea, it might even be thicker
Old 06-13-2002, 12:41 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe

yea, it might even be thicker
did you have any problems with passing inspection or anything with yours. dont know what the rules are if any for stuff like that
Old 06-13-2002, 02:46 PM

as long as the bulbs work it should be ok
Old 06-13-2002, 03:20 PM

did you have any problems with passing inspection or anything with yours. dont know what the rules are if any for stuff like that
we dont have inspection here.. thank god.. LOL

i think i would though, and i havent been pulled over by any cops
Old 06-13-2002, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by Brandon90gxe

we dont have inspection here.. thank god.. LOL

i think i would though, and i havent been pulled over by any cops
heh yeah i'm going to bed attempting the glass cover on e36 lights soon as well. just got a good deal on stock headlights. *** insert ad here *** as you guys know just the rings and leds for angel eyes are only 75 bucks +S/H and now if you get the housing with rings installed it comes with a set of headlight bulbs at not extra cost link is below ** end ad **

hey if you guys think i'm posting this stuff on here too much let me know...i don't want to be like the x10 people and have popup ads everywhere
Old 06-13-2002, 04:09 PM

hey spy....what ecactly are the angle eyes made of????? i know they have 2 leds, but what's the "ring" made of???
Old 06-13-2002, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by pearl93max
hey spy....what ecactly are the angle eyes made of????? i know they have 2 leds, but what's the "ring" made of???
molded acryillic
Old 06-13-2002, 06:24 PM

mmmmkkkkk...thankx
Old 06-14-2002, 09:00 AM
Z

Originally posted by spyhunter

heh yeah i'm going to bed attempting the glass cover on e36 lights soon as well. just got a good deal on stock headlights. *** insert ad here *** as you guys know just the rings and leds for angel eyes are only 75 bucks +S/H and now if you get the housing with rings installed it comes with a set of headlight bulbs at not extra cost link is below ** end ad **

hey if you guys think i'm posting this stuff on here too much let me know...i don't want to be like the x10 people and have popup ads everywhere
Do I get the free bulbs? Cuz technicly, my pay pal payment probably won't be confirmed untill today.... so that would kinda mean that im buying them today instead of monday when I initialy sent the pay pal. So that would mean i get the free bulbs right?
Old 06-14-2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by Z

Do I get the free bulbs? Cuz technicly, my pay pal payment probably won't be confirmed untill today.... so that would kinda mean that im buying them today instead of monday when I initialy sent the pay pal. So that would mean i get the free bulbs right?

mmmm yes.
Old 06-14-2002, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Z

Old 06-15-2002, 05:46 AM
Z

Originally posted by spyhunter
Grasyass
Old 06-15-2002, 09:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Well, I've only sent in half of my payment as of now, so once I send in the other half does that mean that I'd get the free bulbs too, or did I miss out on that??
Old 06-15-2002, 10:56 AM

do u guys think its worth it to go for the entire housing package or is it worth assembling them yourself to save the money?
Old 06-15-2002, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by rift485
do u guys think its worth it to go for the entire housing package or is it worth assembling them yourself to save the money?
well its entirely up to you. in either case you get very descriptive instructions with pictures on how to open the housing mount the rings and reseal the housing. it'll prolly take you an hour or two plus time to let the glue/sealant dry
Old 06-15-2002, 11:12 AM

alright thansk spy, i think im gonna go for the rings alone, ill keep u guys posted
Old 06-15-2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Well, I've only sent in half of my payment as of now, so once I send in the other half does that mean that I'd get the free bulbs too, or did I miss out on that??
sorry man we can only give away the bulbs with the new e36 housings. speaking of which when are you gonna send the rest of the money?
Old 06-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nubiannupe
No, sorry, but we worked out a deal with our supplier of the New headlights that he would discount a set of bulbs with every order as long as we keep doing the volume we are doing...

Erik
Old 06-15-2002, 08:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Sorry guys I didn't get a chance to work on my car today. I hopefully will next week some time and will take the pics then.