3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine problem with a '93 SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 08:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine problem with a '93 SE

When I first got this car, it knocked from time to time, later from reading around a bit, I came to find out that I might have warn lifters or faulty time on the VTC. After debating as to what to do, I decided to replace the lifters. This fixed the problem only slightly. I then proceeded to take it to a local Nissan dealership for them to find out the problem and fix it. Well, after a week of being ****ed off from delays of "its not done yet" I finally got it back, but only for about 15min. I have no idea what they did to my car but it had NO low end power, and still has no low end power. The knocking was gone but my car idled very rough, around 400rpm (way too low), they upped it a few times finally till it idled at 750, and its back down to around 550-620 now. I have a 12k mile/12 month warranty on the work of my VTC, but Im through putting up with those morons at the dealership. Ive taken my car up there so many times, I basically know everyone's name by heart. Theyre ripping me off and Im sick of it. They wont fix my car, a problem exists that never did until they worked on it and I told them this... What should I do?

Maybe Im being paranoid but I really think they just screwed me over and didnt even repair the VTC, just blew it off and did something else to my car so Ide have to bring it back in over and over again. You might say coinsidence? I think not, the car had so much pep before they touched it, just the lifters made lotsa noise If I ever took it to a track, I bet it woulda ran 14's...now it would run 20's
Old 06-14-2002, 09:15 PM

Re: Engine problem with a '93 SE

Originally posted by Flex
When I first got this car, it knocked from time to time, later from reading around a bit, I came to find out that I might have warn lifters or faulty time on the VTC. After debating as to what to do, I decided to replace the lifters. This fixed the problem only slightly. I then proceeded to take it to a local Nissan dealership for them to find out the problem and fix it. Well, after a week of being ****ed off from delays of "its not done yet" I finally got it back, but only for about 15min. I have no idea what they did to my car but it had NO low end power, and still has no low end power. The knocking was gone but my car idled very rough, around 400rpm (way too low), they upped it a few times finally till it idled at 750, and its back down to around 550-620 now. I have a 12k mile/12 month warranty on the work of my VTC, but Im through putting up with those morons at the dealership. Ive taken my car up there so many times, I basically know everyone's name by heart. Theyre ripping me off and Im sick of it. They wont fix my car, a problem exists that never did until they worked on it and I told them this... What should I do?

Maybe Im being paranoid but I really think they just screwed me over and didnt even repair the VTC, just blew it off and did something else to my car so Ide have to bring it back in over and over again. You might say coinsidence? I think not, the car had so much pep before they touched it, just the lifters made lotsa noise If I ever took it to a track, I bet it woulda ran 14's...now it would run 20's
call nissan of north america after getting the car looked at by another dealer..or possibly two and an independant shop..that would be my course of action.