3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

tinky noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 10:46 PM

tinky noise??

its its like this i have a 1990 maxima gxe auto tranny which was rebuilt
i've noticed that wehn i accelerate i hear a tinky noise (best i can describe it)
its kinda like a pebble in a tin can but not so loud
do i just need a tune up or is that a sigh of something goin on under the hood?
also where can i get a muffler/ exhaust that sounds similar to the stock, i don't want any loud ones...
thx
Old 06-15-2002, 11:02 PM

Re: tinky noise??

Originally posted by Freaknificent
i've noticed that wehn i accelerate i hear a tinky noise (best i can describe it)
also where can i get a muffler/ exhaust that sounds similar to the stock, i don't want any loud ones...
thx
here we go again with the noises. anyone else around here like noises as much as i do?
Old 06-15-2002, 11:04 PM

Re: Re: tinky noise??

Originally posted by jp91se

here we go again with the noises. anyone else around here like noises as much as i do?
sorry just tryna figure this one out
Old 06-16-2002, 03:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: tinky noise??

sorry just tryna figure this one out

According to how u described it....that sounds like a ping.....which probably mean its knocking.

Exactly which brand AND grade of petrol are you using?
Old 06-16-2002, 10:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: tinky noise??

Originally posted by superdesi

According to how u described it....that sounds like a ping.....which probably mean its knocking.

Exactly which brand AND grade of petrol are you using?
I have a 1989 Maxima GXE and I hear the tinking too. It's like pebbles hitting a small tin can.

It's not really loud, so I can't hear it while I'm driving, but when I stop while my car is running I can hear it. I can also hear it after I shut off my car, but it stops after about 20 min.

Also, I only use premium gas in my car, usually from Amoco. I also change my oil every 2500 miles. I have heard it ever since I got my car last year.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tinky noise??

Anyone have any answer to this problem?
Old 06-16-2002, 02:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tinky noise??

yeah its that noise after you turn your car off, it sounds like a ticking noise. i always wondered what that was, i heard at had something to do with the oil level, im not sure though.
Old 06-16-2002, 06:23 PM

i use shell super.....the most expensive one, i bought the car last week so i only fueled her up once, should i see how it goes after a few weeks of fueling up?
Old 06-17-2002, 07:28 AM

The ticking after shutdown is just metal contracting due to expanding with heat then cooling. Things like heatshields make it noticable. You won't likely hear oil dripping/returning to the pan.
Old 06-17-2002, 08:00 AM

Re: tinky noise??

thx
i had the same problem when i first bought my car. the previous owner put in 87. it's most likely pinging (small rocks in a can sound). try and refill with 93 or better when almost empty for a couple of times. i dunno if vg can retard/advance thier timing, but if you can retard your timing, do it until you get through a couple of refills. pinging/detonation is very bad for the engine. don't forget to reset ecu if you retard the timing (unhook battery for couple of hours).

as for the muffler question - find a 5th gen muffler. they're suppose to be pretty good without the sound b/c they have variable flow control (do a search for a more detailed explanation). also, don't forget about a y-pipe (WSP!!!!!) and a high flow cat. i think that's the best setup for a 3rd gen that wants a performance exhaust setup without the sound. my $.02.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:06 AM

stick your head under the car by the heat shields over your stock y-pipe....hear it??? If it bothers you that much, just thake the heat shields off. You'll have to anyways if you plan on getting an aftermarket y-pipe.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:41 AM

what fuel should we use in our vg i dont think our compression was ment for preium 91octain or the higherlevels
Old 06-17-2002, 11:16 AM

i've been using 91 for over a year now...no problems
Old 06-17-2002, 11:38 AM

I use

89 Octane..no pinging. I did experience ping with advanced timing on hot days..but a tank of 93 cured that. I now have stock timing, 140K on the odo and 89 octane in the tank..alll good.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by pearl93max
stick your head under the car by the heat shields over your stock y-pipe....hear it??? If it bothers you that much, just thake the heat shields off. You'll have to anyways if you plan on getting an aftermarket y-pipe.

Yep, that's it pearlmax. I stick my hear underneath my car, and it's the heatshields.
Old 06-17-2002, 07:44 PM

It could be a sticky valve lifter. They will sound like that. Sometimes all it takes is changing the oil, and it will loosen it up. I know both me and my dad's 300ZX have the same problems sometimes. We've never had to go any further than changing the oil to get the sound to go away. It's worth a shot, if it's about that time.
Old 06-18-2002, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by D & S
It could be a sticky valve lifter. They will sound like that. Sometimes all it takes is changing the oil, and it will loosen it up. I know both me and my dad's 300ZX have the same problems sometimes. We've never had to go any further than changing the oil to get the sound to go away. It's worth a shot, if it's about that time.
I've changed my oil 4 times and I still have the sound.....
Old 06-18-2002, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by rbloedow

I've changed my oil 4 times and I still have the sound.....
Damage is done..restricted oil flow to lifter/rocker/valve stem. Excessive clearance. Mine is the same way..has been for 2 years. It's all good. Use thicker oil in the summer (10-40), thinner in winter (5-30. Also, change the oil a whole bunch of times. Every 3 or four oil changes I change it twice. I mean, I get it nice and hot, drain it, fill it with cheap oil, idle for 5 min, drive for 5 min, drain it, swap filter and fill with quality oil. My oil stays clean for a long time after this. I highly recommend it, especially if you have a restricted lifter..that usually means you have a good amount of gunk in the oil pasages etc. Don't use engine flush or Kerosene (which is all the stuff on the shelves is). If you must, do it once and only once. Also, don't forget about the PCV system. If PCV valve is plugged or stuck open, contaminants (blowby gas etc) will remain in the crankcase turning your oil slowly to sludge. Also, a malfuntioning PCV system can caus your seals to blow out..If you ever change your main seals or any other gasket for that matter, you should always check the PCV valve and degunk the system hoses.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:49 AM

well, i'm gonna go tomorrow for a oil change and they're gonna run sum diagnostics on it i'll mention the sound to em see what they say
wish me luck
Old 06-25-2002, 02:54 PM

Update on Tinky noise

Ok heres what went down:
On Oso.com there is a car doctor who happens to work at the triple a that i'm at so i asked him if he could come on a road test with me to help diagnose the problem. after the test drive, he came to the conclusion that three main things should be replaced but they are not an immediate thing.
1. he said it sounded as if i had an exhaust leak. so i asked if it was the y-pipe and told him that i might put on an aftermarket one, and he said that should work.
2. he said that the water pump may need a looking at.
3. we went over a bump while turning, and there was a thump. so he said that inside the shocks there are rubber thingies.....and they may need either changing or something (wasn't too clear on this one)
but otherwise for a 12 year old car its in great condition.
so now i need to know how much everything will cost and where i can go that would do a good job installing because i'm not mechanically inclined.
any suggestions on what kind, where, and how much i can get these three items?
note on y-pipe: i know most on the board have aftermarket y-pipes, but they also have 5-spds, while i have a auto. will the y-pipe be the same for both auto and 5spd?
note on the shocks: if i have to replace them completely then what should i get because i have sonar suspension. if i replace it with just regular shocks would the sonar susp. still work? or will it affect the car in any way?
well thats it for now any info will be greatly appreciate especially for info for reliable and trustworthy mechanics in the R.I area.
take care
Old 06-25-2002, 03:57 PM

The ticking noise, is you pipes cooling down, when I turn off my car (1990 SE), it makes that noise, and when I am just stopped at a red light and next to a car, I can also hear it. I have a question tho about my car, when the A/C is on and I am in Drive and stopped, the car makes a wierd humming noise, when I drive, it doesnt make it, when in Park, it makes it, When in Neutral or Reverse it doesnt, wierd stuff, anyone know wat it is???

Shpuntik
Old 06-25-2002, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by Shpuntik
The ticking noise, is you pipes cooling down, when I turn off my car (1990 SE), it makes that noise, and when I am just stopped at a red light and next to a car, I can also hear it. I have a question tho about my car, when the A/C is on and I am in Drive and stopped, the car makes a wierd humming noise, when I drive, it doesnt make it, when in Park, it makes it, When in Neutral or Reverse it doesnt, wierd stuff, anyone know wat it is???

Shpuntik

its called idle.....
actually its prolly just the fan for the ac or the car idling a lil higher to power the ac.,......
something like that