3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I think I F'ed up big time

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 11:10 AM

I think I F'ed up big time

I just recieved my courtesy ftsb and tried installing it but when I was removing the 3 strut nuts that hold the ends of the bar the driver side front nut(the nut closest to the front of the car) would not come off. I did loosen it initially but then it just spun freely with the bolt rotating with it. I think the bolt broke off of from the "Strut Insulator" (according to the servive manual on page FA-22)
Is it safe to drive with this one nut loose?

I was planning on buying new eibachs and tokico anyways but will take some time for delivery even if I buy them today. Do I need to buy a new Strut Insulator? How much? If I buy a New Strut Insulator and remove the front driver side strut will it come off freely even if that one troublesome nut is still attached. It shouldnt if the bolt is broken off the insulator but I cant tell from the pictures in the service manual.

Last question what is the best place right now to buy eibach tokico at the lowest price.

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'm gonna search more in detail on this subject.
Old 06-17-2002, 11:26 AM

Re: I think I F'ed up big time

Yes you will need a new insulator..I got one..monroe made it I think..like $30. As long as you have the two others torqued to spec (DON'T overtighten..They will strip..I think they only need like 15ftlb) you should be OK. Drive at your own risk though. I think you may have to cut it to get the strut out. I believe those bolts are pressed in studs wihth splines..like a wheelstud., so cutting or splitting the nut is the only option.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:02 PM

Re: Re: I think I F'ed up big time

Originally posted by male
Yes you will need a new insulator..I got one..monroe made it I think..like $30. As long as you have the two others torqued to spec (DON'T overtighten..They will strip..I think they only need like 15ftlb) you should be OK. Drive at your own risk though. I think you may have to cut it to get the strut out. I believe those bolts are pressed in studs wihth splines..like a wheelstud., so cutting or splitting the nut is the only option.
Thanks for the quick reply male. Where did you buy your insulator? And for the tourque specs in the service manual I see numbers next to a picture of a wrench for the 3 nuts
39 - 54 (4.0 - 5.5, 29 - 40)
written exactly like that. What exactly are these particular numbers? I dont have a tourque wrench so I never used these numbers but I'll buy one today.
Old 06-17-2002, 12:52 PM

I just went to the dealership and the said that the strut mounting insulator is 75 bucks. He said its more expensive because my car is a SE. Are there 2 different insulators for the SE and GXE?
Old 06-17-2002, 01:27 PM

I have an SE, got my part at Strauss Auto. I did specify SE, but I'm unsure if there is a different Part no. for diff. trims. $75 is what I would expect from a dealer...If you look at the part, there isn't much to it, so I woouldn't worry about shying away from nissan parts..I have no problem with mine. Like I said..about $30 by Monroe..in the "Strut-Mate" family of parts. A fairly reputable name.

As for the torque specs..the first numbers are in Foot Pounds, the ones in parenth. are metric readings (Newton meters or kg meters, not sure which) the last set in parenth. seems aweful close to the Ft-lb reading, so it may be for different models (SE, GXE) Your manual should explain this somewhere in the diagram or towards the front.