3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I just bought a 1989 GXE!!! I love it already!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 02:00 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a 1989 GXE!!! I love it already!

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1989 Maxima GXE with 72,000. It's in incredible shape. My friends and family are shocked by how it looks like a new car. I really lucked out. I'm thinking about taking pictures so maybe I'll post in the future. I came on to say hello. I've been using Maxima.org's forum to research my Maxima purchase and it has served me very well. I now look forward to using the site as a newly minted Maxima owner.

The only mod I plan is the sound system. I want to put in a CD changer and new speakers cause as we all know, the speakers suck. My left rear has static.

Any suggestions on how I should go about reworking the sound system. I don't want to spend a lot of money on overkill audio. I want straighforward quality. Any ideas? Let me know.

Your fellow Maxima enthusiast,

Ray
Old 06-23-2002, 04:56 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Re: I just bought a 1989 GXE!!! I love it already!

Originally posted by Ray's 89 GXE
Hi everyone,

I just bought a 1989 Maxima GXE with 72,000. It's in incredible shape. My friends and family are shocked by how it looks like a new car. I really lucked out. I'm thinking about taking pictures so maybe I'll post in the future. I came on to say hello. I've been using Maxima.org's forum to research my Maxima purchase and it has served me very well. I now look forward to using the site as a newly minted Maxima owner.

The only mod I plan is the sound system. I want to put in a CD changer and new speakers cause as we all know, the speakers suck. My left rear has static.

Any suggestions on how I should go about reworking the sound system. I don't want to spend a lot of money on overkill audio. I want straighforward quality. Any ideas? Let me know.

Your fellow Maxima enthusiast,

Ray
congrats and welcome to the max family.
Old 06-23-2002, 10:24 AM

Re: Re: I just bought a 1989 GXE!!! I love it already!

I'm an 89GXE owner too! Welcome to Max.org!

Post pictures ASAP
Old 06-23-2002, 10:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I redid the audio in my previous car, same car as yours, for the same reasons you are about to. It really depends on what you want. All I wanted was a CD player and better quality audio. I didn't need, or want, something to cruise around showing off the cool music I listen to to everybody on the streets or to host a block party around my car. If you're not looking for this as well, then I recommend just putting in a good headunit and replacing the speakers with ones that match your headunit output. I'll tell you now that speaker replacement can be somewhat of a *****, but not really that difficult. Front door speakers are a pain just beacuse the clips holding the door panel on are easily broken, I suggest you buy some extras before you start because they will be break. As for the rear deck speakers, you need to take out the rear seat and then pry up the rear deck. Once again, not bad, but annoying. Nissan decided to use a rear amp to power those speakers which you will need to unplug and then create some jumpers to route the headunit speaker signals to the proper speakers. My sister has the car now so I can't really tell you what i did exactly, but just take note of each wire color to everything, ie speakers, coming out of head unit, etc. It should be pretty easy once you have this info. good luck and congrats on the car, you can't go wrong with a Maxima
Old 06-23-2002, 01:16 PM

w
Originally posted by Y2K2Driver
Front door speakers are a pain just beacuse the clips holding the door panel on are easily broken, I suggest you buy some extras before you start because they will be break.
anyone know a good place to buy a dozen of these that will fit the various places in our cars that use them. i need new ones all around my car. thanks.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:30 PM

welcome and everyone does love max, have fun..
Old 06-23-2002, 02:26 PM

www.thepartsbin.com
www.courtesyparts.com
www.summitracing.com
www.jcwhitney.com

also Matt93SE is parting out his 93gxe, he may have some spares laying around.
have fun
MrGone

btw, if you are interested i am selling my deck. its a kenwood KDC-316s and I can possiably make you some plates to mount aftermarket speakers on for the fronts.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:30 PM

cool and welcome. i wanna see pics soon