3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

not like many noticed, but UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2002, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

not like many noticed, but UPDATE

well, no one really responded to my posts last week about the possibility of my car being for sale due to its haphazard tranny problems of late, but either way i just felt like posting to let everyone know that

I AM GETTING A NEW TRANSMISSION...1200 bucks, direct from nissan, good deal cuz i know the guy, i am pumped; my car will now really be like-new, since i got over 3gs of unrelated other **** done to it in the past few months...im gonna be rolling on a new tranny, torque converter, and a bunch of other new stuff...

just felt like sharing my excitement...hopefully the car will be painted by the hopk. meet in a couple weeks. see some of you there i hope.

peace
Old 06-25-2002, 06:02 AM

Good luck with it bro, keep that max runnin strong. See you at the meet!
Old 06-25-2002, 07:07 AM

You should be pumped that you got a brand new transmission for $1200. Are you installing it yourself?
Old 06-25-2002, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by davis4005
You should be pumped that you got a brand new transmission for $1200. Are you installing it yourself?
nah, i don't know enough about engines and everything under the hood to do it myself, but the guy that got me the good deal on it is going to put it in, along w/ a 1yr warranty on parts/labor for 250 bucks...hes the man
Old 06-25-2002, 08:07 AM

Brand new nissan transmission from Nissan for $1,200? That sounds like a re-built tranny.

You could saved some money and gotten a a completely rebuilt transmission from www.phoenixhardparts.com for $750 with a good warranty also. $450 cheaper and it'll probably last the same as the "brand new" one.

$250 for labor is good.
Old 06-25-2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Sudesh
Brand new nissan transmission from Nissan for $1,200? That sounds like a re-built tranny.

You could saved some money and gotten a a completely rebuilt transmission from www.phoenixhardparts.com for $750 with a good warranty also. $450 cheaper and it'll probably last the same as the "brand new" one.

$250 for labor is good.
actually dude, the tranny i'm getting is brand new, not "brand new." the guy i've been dealing with had my mom for an english teacher like, 20 something yrs ago, and has remained in touch w/ her since, and he is really good friends with the manager of a nissan dealership in the area, so i am really and truly getting a new tranny for 1200...i had the option of getting a used rebuilt one for like, half that, but the failure rate on rebuilt transmissions is unsatisfactorily high, so i opted to get a brand new one since i'm getting a good price..and i have a 1yr warranty on parts and labor, so theres no way i can really lose on this deal
Old 06-25-2002, 09:41 AM

Where did he get this 'new' tranny?
Old 06-25-2002, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Lordrandall
Where did he get this 'new' tranny?
see above dude, my mechanic is getting it from glick nissan in westboro ma
Old 06-25-2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by NickMax

see above dude, my mechanic is getting it from glick nissan in westboro ma
I think he's pulling one over on you. I seriously doubt it is brand new.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:01 AM

hmm....

i'm going to have to side with most of the guys on this forum. i just replaced my tranny too. i have a lot of mechanic friends with lots of contacts... especially nissan ones. brand spankin new nissan trannies are almost impossible to find (plus it would be WELL over $3000 for one). the closest to a new tranny would for you to to find a maxima that was wrecked with only like 2 miles on it. the best i did was found a tranny in a wrecked maxima with 25k on it. i'm not doubting you or try to start ish but just want to give you the heads up b/c if this guy is lying, you should be careful about what he tells you in the future.

that or my mechanics' contacts suck. peace. good luck.
Old 06-25-2002, 10:13 AM

Re: hmm....

Originally posted by poorcollegeboy
i'm going to have to side with most of the guys on this forum. i just replaced my tranny too. i have a lot of mechanic friends with lots of contacts... especially nissan ones. brand spankin new nissan trannies are almost impossible to find (plus it would be WELL over $3000 for one). the closest to a new tranny would for you to to find a maxima that was wrecked with only like 2 miles on it. the best i did was found a tranny in a wrecked maxima with 25k on it. i'm not doubting you or try to start ish but just want to give you the heads up b/c if this guy is lying, you should be careful about what he tells you in the future.

that or my mechanics' contacts suck. peace. good luck.
i appreciate all the input guys, and i don't blame you for being skeptical about what i said. but the fact is, i really am getting a new transmission for that low a price. the guy who runs the dealership has a brother who works at a nissan factory, and hes going to 'do what has to' to get me such a good deal.

now i will say this...

i was reluctant to even get this far into discussing this situation b/c i know that most people are just gonna doubt me, berate me for making such claims, and ultimately turn this into a huge debate that will most likely wind up centering on such random topics as 1/4 mile times, HIDS, or sub-frame connecters. just take my word and accept it; as a matter of fact, if you'd all like, after getting the transmission, i'll even try to scan and post anydocuments that will prove the authenticity, age, and condition of it... thanks for reading
Old 06-25-2002, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Sudesh

$250 for labor is good.
I've had a www.phoenixhardparts.com transmission for about 8 months. Their warranty sucks and has all kinds of ways for them to get out of honoring it, it's only 6 months/6,000 miles, the transmission has to be installed by a certified mechanic, the radiator has to be flow tested and replaced if it failed, and so on. They don't send you back your transmission either, so for all you know it could be a transmission that has been rebuilt 3 or 4 times with 400,000 miles on it. My differential whines, and the shifts are not perfect so you get what you pay for. The shipping and core charge would have put him past $1200, I paid something like $1275 with the core and shipping. This guys giving him a 1 year warranty and a new transmission. If you doubt in any way that it isn't new you can probably go to Nissan and have them run the serial number off the tranny. Good luck man.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:22 PM

Glick Nissan has pretty good prices on parts in comparison to the other local dealerships. IMO Marlboro Nissan is VERY overpriced, so beware.
Old 06-25-2002, 02:36 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Nick, that's a pretty good deal, dude!! I commend you on your contacts.
Old 06-25-2002, 03:25 PM

Re: Re: hmm....

Originally posted by NickMax

i appreciate all the input guys, and i don't blame you for being skeptical about what i said. but the fact is, i really am getting a new transmission for that low a price. the guy who runs the dealership has a brother who works at a nissan factory, and hes going to 'do what has to' to get me such a good deal.

now i will say this...

i was reluctant to even get this far into discussing this situation b/c i know that most people are just gonna doubt me, berate me for making such claims, and ultimately turn this into a huge debate that will most likely wind up centering on such random topics as 1/4 mile times, HIDS, or sub-frame connecters. just take my word and accept it; as a matter of fact, if you'd all like, after getting the transmission, i'll even try to scan and post anydocuments that will prove the authenticity, age, and condition of it... thanks for reading
I believe you and I understand your concerns. Most people around here will usually have one of three responses to a post.

A. Search
B. Can't do it, don't bother
C. Search